Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM

177 posts, read 471,363 times
The debate on God or no God has stricken our generation moreso than any other. Here is my philosophy on the matter:

Say that you are an Atheist...you dont believe in God or you hate God...
When you die, you have a 50% chance of being wrong. No person on this earth would gamble their careers, homes, cars, and other belongings on a 50% chance. Why gamble the future away? Consider this: what if God does exist? what if you are wrong? what if when you die you go to hell? Was it worth being skeptical? If God doesn't exist, then when you die, you will reincarnate or walk the earth as a spirit or whatever you believe. Then you can say you were right. But that 50% chance is still lurking in the back of your mind until you die. Why take that chance? Believe in God, take a chance, and at least if we are all wrong you wont have anything to lose when you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
No, it is not a 50% chance. When you add in the variable of "which god" (or more precisely which religion as I believe it is all the same thing regardless of the name), then the odds change significantly.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Which god had the only path to salvation based on love for each person? pagan religions believe in animals being gods...god demanding us to suffer. Christianity is based on God's love for us and the death and resurrection of his Son. Through prayer and building a relationship with God, we are saved. Not through various abstract actions. Thats what tells you what god.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM

433 posts, read 587,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
The debate on God or no God has stricken our generation moreso than any other. Here is my philosophy on the matter:

Say that you are an Atheist...you dont believe in God or you hate God...
When you die, you have a 50% chance of being wrong. No person on this earth would gamble their careers, homes, cars, and other belongings on a 50% chance. Why gamble the future away? Consider this: what if God does exist? what if you are wrong? what if when you die you go to hell? Was it worth being skeptical? If God doesn't exist, then when you die, you will reincarnate or walk the earth as a spirit or whatever you believe. Then you can say you were right. But that 50% chance is still lurking in the back of your mind until you die. Why take that chance? Believe in God, take a chance, and at least if we are all wrong you wont have anything to lose when you die.
There are over a million different Gods (and Goddesses). If you believe one God (or a few), your chance of being right is one out of a million.

Atheists will be fine, because they don't get into this God thing.

All theists are gambling -- odds are against them too.

Also, theists waste their whole lives on things unprovable ... fearing a wrathful bearded man in the sky, wasting money and time, being controlled by religions ... fighting over religions ...

Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM

how are Christians controlling? there is no fee to enter a church...how many Christians do you see fighting?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Quote:
Which god had the only path to salvation based on love for each person? pagan religions believe in animals being gods...god demanding us to suffer. Christianity is based on God's love for us and the death and resurrection of his Son. Through prayer and building a relationship with God, we are saved. Not through various abstract actions. Thats what tells you what god.
What makes you so certain that the only true path to salvation is through love? For all you know some obscure ancient and/or pagan religion could be the one group of people who have it "right". Perhaps animal sacrifice is the true path to salvation. It's just as possible as your beliefs.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM

The doctrine of karma, the Islamic Code of Law, the Jewish covenant and the Buddhist eightfold path offered ways to earn approval and eventual eternal happiness. Only Christianity offered a no strings attached view of salvation with God’s unconditional love—a way through karma.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Well first, you cant hate what you don't believe in, so let's get that straight. Second, IF there was a god, and he is suppose to be all loving like you claim, he would certainly understand people not believing, I mean really, No evidence, he would have to know that is an issue. If he is not understanding and sends us "nonbelievers" to hell for not worshiping him, then I will gladly go to hell. See I would NEVER follow or worship a god out of fear, like most do, but because he was loving and understanding. But the god in the bible, is not a very loving god, more like an egotistical evil murderer, I have issues with that.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
The doctrine of karma, the Islamic Code of Law, the Jewish covenant and the Buddhist eightfold path offered ways to earn approval and eventual eternal happiness. Only Christianity offered a no strings attached view of salvation with God’s unconditional love—a way through karma.
No strings attached? WHAT? I is a believe and do as I command or burn in hell, I would say that is some pretty big strings there. It isn't unconditional, it is my way or highway to hell.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM

433 posts, read 587,428 times
Quote:
how are Christians controlling? there is no fee to enter a church...how many Christians do you see fighting?
Christianity controls through coercion -- like any religions around.

Christians are raised and taught to believe they are no good (with sins) since births, and they must pay church go to church and pray, or they will go to hell. And, guess what? They will never be "saved" -- no one was ever "saved". Why? Because, if anyone were "saved", would that person need religion anymore?

(Christians are not fighting with their religion because they got Stockholm Syndrome: they see robbers as loving protectors)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality