Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I strongly urge you educate yourself.

The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.[1]
I guess that is #10 on the list - we are uneducated, right?

If you want to support man's theory about how the Bible came to be, then OK. I choose to go by what the Bible says. I believe that is #3 on the list - no logic.

And what's the footnote [1] for? Are these your words or are they copied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Forcing belief and spreading the word are two very different concepts. No one forces you to go to church. No one forces you to open the door when a Christian comes knocking.
Except that when laws are made in this country based solely on the fact that Christians see the action being outlawed as 'sin', then that is Christians trying to force their beliefs on all others.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Except that when laws are made in this country based solely on the fact that Christians see the action being outlawed as 'sin', then that is Christians trying to force their beliefs on all others.
You mean like gay marriage? Oops - #8 on the list - no homosexuality.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Christianity is man's irrational thoughts to rational acts, as is, any other religion. If it makes you whole, to believe in something extraordinarily pure and powerful, while your in this place called life - go for it

I have read the bible, cover to cover. It is called "The Greatest Story ever told". Certainly filled with facts of the time, but a story just the same. Whether or not, one knows everything written in the bible, is really irrelevant to one's faith. The only way one can fail at Christianity is to stop believing in it. It is after all, a belief in something that exists for and through you. That is why they call it "Blind Faith". Christianity helps society stay civil and decent. It has its place. Even as a non believer, it is a plus in my book

Still, there will always be sects, no matter what claims to Christianity they hide behind, that will project false morality and misdirected judgment onto society, causing irreparable harm and injustice to others. That is not
a very Christian thing to do.

I respect anyone's faith and believe it is a Private matter. I can not understand why it is so prominent with Politics to date; which is something I find truly disturbing

Now, Why is this in the political forum again

Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Speaking of forcing beliefs on others...

Parents Outraged: School Promotes Homosexuality

But Ellen Waltz, a Deerfield mother of eight, said the climate has changed so much that students who believe that homosexuality is immoral and violates their religious beliefs are now the ones being bullied.

She said other students called her daughter anti-gay and anti-Semitic when she spoke out during the panel four years ago. One of the panel members was Jewish.

"My daughter was devastated when she came home. She said, 'Everyone hates me,'" said Waltz, adding that she plans to pull her son out of class for the day this year.

I guess because there is no scriptural book for the gay lifestyle, it's really not a religion or a belief - and therefore it is OK to force this corrupt viewpoint on others - is that correct?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I strongly urge you educate yourself.

The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.[1]
Well, when Atheists and Agnostics figure out a message that resonates with billions of people worldwide over many centuries, then maybe they'll have the capital to effect policy. But, to date, Atheist dreams are about as empty as their message. Write your own "Book of Nothingness" and get it into production as soon as possible. Billions of people 4,000 years from now depend on you.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Well, when Atheists and Agnostics figure out a message that resonates with billions of people worldwide over many centuries, then maybe they'll have the capital to effect policy. But, to date, Atheist dreams are about as empty as their message. Write your own "Book of Nothingness" and get it into production as soon as possible. Billions of people 4,000 years from now depend on you.
Lots of philosophy books out there, that aren't religious, that teach the same lessons of the bible, without the "you're going to hell" and "rape is ok, if you pay for it" lessons.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess that is #10 on the list - we are uneducated, right?

If you want to support man's theory about how the Bible came to be, then OK. I choose to go by what the Bible says. I believe that is #3 on the list - no logic.

And what's the footnote [1] for? Are these your words or are they copied?
You're willfully choosing to believe a lie.

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case against "Christians".

Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
I'm neither an atheist nor an agnostic, and couldn't disagree with your idea that just because something resonates with billions that it must be blindly followed. For that matter, Christ himself didn't follow a lot of what is Ten Commandments, the holy grail of many who talk but don't walk.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 PM

9,882 posts, read 10,800,431 times
Always love to hear a liberal give advice on how to be a better Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality