Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,488,144 times

Advertisements

The infamous "No True Scotsman" fallacy, Thomas. I had an argument once with a guy--where after pointing out "Christian Atheists" (they do exist) to a guy--he promptly slandered me, posted several thread topics asking what people think of these Christian Atheists, and then had the audacity to lie to me saying people believed I was nuts for claiming there are Christian Atheists.

Two seconds of searching yielded that the replies he was getting on the threads were in favor of me--not him. Some people just don't like to hear or think that people that do not follow their exact belief or thoughts are somehow not part of the same group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 AM

49 posts, read 64,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
What do you mean by a six day creation? Are these literal days or days in a divine meaning of the word? If they are literal days how was their length determined before there was a Sun or Earth?
Divene meaning? No! literal days. If I start interpreting words that were clearly meant to be taken literaly then im not following the bible at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although I respect your beliefs I think statements like yours explain some of atheists reaction to Christians. You appear to be excluding a vast majority of Christians from being Christian and may be interpreted as anti-science.
Im sorry but people who do not follow the bible cant be considered Christians.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,982,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoodChristian View Post
Divene meaning? No! literal days. If I start interpreting words that were clearly meant to be taken literaly then im not following the bible at all.

oh no agoodchristian! oh no!

our 24 hour days are based upon the sun of course; if you believe in a literal day, what do you suppose served as the fixed point of refrence for the earth back then [gravity=time]?
keeping in mind Biblically the earth was created before sun.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 AM

87,948 posts, read 83,734,558 times
Quote:

That's only one opinion, and not mine.

What about MOST of the centuries that elapsed between the founding of Christianity and today? Most people couldn't read at all, and if they could read, it often wasn't Latin, which was reserved for the priests. The only way these people could "follow the bible" was if someone else told them what it said, and interpreted it, and could be trusted to read it to them correctly. Your claim wipes out the validity of the faith of centuries of human beings.

Not everyone who is Christian believes the bible is the literal word of God. As a matter of fact, some Christians consider such an elevation of a man-made item to be idolatry.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,241,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

That begs the question. Where did God come from.

More to the point, however, is that something existing outside of nature is not philosophically possible in naturalism. God would be likewise bound by nature as we are--making miracles impossible.
God is eternal-no beginning no end-He's always existed,the energy that created the univers is eternal and so are we.

what makes you so sure that God is effected bye the laws and modes of material nature.......if He created these laws in a temporary condition then He is master of this manifestation,He controls every single atom,He is maintaining this manifestation without effort,He is above and beyond this tiny little cosmos,....NOPE,God aint under the control of nature its the other way around.....

although this material cosmos is a tiny part of His energy and the whole cosmos rest's inside Him,at the same time He is seperated from it,it is His external energy,and due to His causless mercy He can enter into it personaly and do whatever He likes,He is not effected bye the laws of karma and reincarnation,everything He does is transcendental and what a hero may i add,infact He is the perfect warrior/father/son/lover/teacher/mystic/renuncient/yogi/anmd all the good quality's He holds in full,infact there is no limit to His forms, energy's and quality's and He is eternally expanding His energys

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,440,660 times
Quote:
Divine meaning? No! literal days. If I start interpreting words that were clearly meant to be taken literally then im not following the bible at all.
Okay.

Quote:
I'm sorry but people who do not follow the bible can't be considered Christians.
Which interpretation of the Bible? If you're going by the most literal than may I ask.

*Do you believe the Sun revolves around the Earth as is implied in several books of the Old Testament?
*Do you believe in the existence of dragons as the word is mentioned in both Job and Isaiah?
*Do you allow for divorce and remarriage in cases other than adultery or sexual misconduct? (The Gospels are fairly clearly against remarriage after divorce, our Catholic interpretation is that no exception is allowed but some say adultery/incest/misconduct is an exemption due to a mention in one Gospel)
*Do you avoid eating steak rare or the eating of any animal that has been strangled as per Acts 15? (Granted Jesus indicates nothing that goes in the body through eating causes sin, but I'm asking you rather than stating)
*Do you believe in religious celibacy as is described in Christ's story of the eunuch and the writings of Paul?

Still if your beliefs are helping you love God and Neighbor more good for you!

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-17-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM

27,854 posts, read 29,658,564 times
Quote:
I thought the Bible taught that Christians are supposed to cast the beam out of their own eye before trying to pull the mote out of their brother's eye. It doesn't look to me like you follow the Bible any more closely than anybody else. I guess you can't be considered a Christian either.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 22 days ago)

20,356 posts, read 12,631,406 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;14211555]
Not everyone who is Christian believes the bible is the literal word of God. As a matter of fact, some Christians consider such an elevation of a man-made item to be idolatry.[/quote]

Nothing could be more ridiculous! Jesus read from Scripture in the synagogue, & quoted Scripture when tempted by Satan.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM

128 posts, read 296,742 times
[quote=jimmiej;14220813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not everyone who is Christian believes the bible is the literal word of God. As a matter of fact, some Christians consider such an elevation of a man-made item to be idolatry.[/quote]

Nothing could be more ridiculous! Jesus read from Scripture in the synagogue, & quoted Scripture when tempted by Satan.
Yes, Jesus clearly respected Scripture. But He did not write it himself and gave no indication that he approved or even knew that a group of books called the Bible would be written about Him. At least, if he did, it's not in the Bible. If the Bible is supposed to be the ONLY source for coming to know God then maybe He would have done what Mohammed claims God did and have his Prophet transcribe it word for word. But God did not do that. I do believe the Bible was inspired by God and is completely accurate (though its not to be read like a history book), but it was written by men and is not the only way to come to know him.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
God is eternal-no beginning no end-He's always existed,the energy that created the univers is eternal and so are we.
So we have two eternal elements? God and the Universe? If the universe is eternal, why do we have God?

Quote:
what makes you so sure that God is effected bye the laws and modes of material nature.......if He created these laws in a temporary condition then He is master of this manifestation,He controls every single atom,He is maintaining this manifestation without effort,He is above and beyond this tiny little cosmos,....NOPE,God aint under the control of nature its the other way around.....
First you say that energy is eternal. If it is eternal, it has no beginning and no end, correct? Why do we have God? There is no evidence and no reason to support that God is in control of energy.

Quote:
although this material cosmos is a tiny part of His energy and the whole cosmos rest's inside Him,at the same time He is seperated from it,
Energy is the material cosmos. Energy is part of nature--we under stand it's properties, it's physical--it's material.

Quote:
it is His external energy,and due to His causless mercy He can enter into it personaly and do whatever He likes,He is not effected bye the laws of karma and reincarnation,everything He does is transcendental and what a hero may i add,infact He is the perfect warrior/father/son/lover/teacher/mystic/renuncient/yogi/anmd all the good quality's He holds in full,infact there is no limit to His forms, energy's and quality's and He is eternally expanding His energys
This is an entirely unsubstantiated claim! If the universe is eternal, we have no need of God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality