Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM

20,396 posts, read 12,692,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
how come the bible dosent talk much about God?
You're kidding, right?

Quote:
how many pages could you actually write down that say's--"God",said?
I found 46 in the OT.

Quote:
is there any description of what He looks like?
Exodus 33

20 But," he said (to Moses), "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

On the other hand:

John 14

8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." 9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.

Quote:
does it tell you what pastimes He is into?
Psalm 147:11

11 the LORD delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Quote:
does He have freinds and family/brother's and sisters?
John 15:15

15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Quote:
does He have an eternal consort?if not then how do yo now?

Quote:
thing is the bible dosent actually disscuss the God topic/their isnt much in there about Him,and we should be able to write more about Him than any other living being.
see above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
jimmiej, I have a book here that says I'm the King of the World. For some reason, I don't think anyone will accept that claim.
You're right.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,243,943 times
jimmie j

psalm 11 says it all-God is delighted when people are in fear..........wow!!!,makes you wonder how authentic this book realy is?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM

88,198 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No, but you do. God will not reveal anything to you in prayer that is contrary to the Bible.
I don't think you or any other person are in any position to decide what God will or will not do, but at any rate, I still say that God and the bible are not the same. The bible is a guide, along with poetry and history and while it may contain inspirations that come from God, it was written by the hand of humans. Desperately searching for a verse to get an answer to a problem or living your life based on quotations is no substitute for listening.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,939,856 times
Quote:
In Acts 15, you see that Paul met with Peter & the other leaders of the Church. It appears Peter, James, and John accepted Paul's mission to the Gentiles.
Ah, but there are several problems with that as well. Paul's own account of his background is found particularly in Galatians. The account in Acts of Paul visiting Jerusalem (Acts 11:27-30) contradicts the account in Paul's letters. It is interesting that Acts protrays Paul as a Law-abiding Christian Jew, yet in the Epistles we see that this was not actually the case.

It is also interesting to note that Paul's dispute with Peter is conspicuously missing in Acts. It's almost as if the writers of Acts was attempting to show some sort of reconcilliation between Pauline Christians and the Ebionites, Nazarenes and Jewish Christians. As we know, this rift was not finally resolved until the Council of Nicea and Paul's brand of Christianity won by vote.

When it comes to Paul, it is difficult to take Acts without a grain of salt when comparing them to the Epistles.

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-19-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
jimmie j

psalm 11 says it all-God is delighted when people are in fear..........wow!!!,makes you wonder how authentic this book realy is?
Did you read the rest of that verse?

A holy fear of God and hope in God not only may consist, but must concur. In the same heart, at the same time, there must be both a reverence of his majesty and a complacency in his goodness, both a believing dread of his wrath and a believing expectation of his favour.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think you or any other person are in any position to decide what God will or will not do, but at any rate, I still say that God and the bible are not the same. The bible is a guide, along with poetry and history and while it may contain inspirations that come from God, it was written by the hand of humans. Desperately searching for a verse to get an answer to a problem or living your life based on quotations is no substitute for listening.
What does this mean, in your opinion?

2 Timothy 3:16

16All Scripture is God-breathed...

I agree that prayer AND listening to God is important,

Psalm 46:10

10 "Be still, and know that I am God

but God will never contradict His written Word.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,916,524 times
Quote:
Did you read the rest of that verse?

A holy fear of God and hope in God not only may consist, but must concur. In the same heart, at the same time, there must be both a reverence of his majesty and a complacency in his goodness, both a believing dread of his wrath and a believing expectation of his favour.

Like a puppy to a cruel master.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM

63,473 posts, read 39,759,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Like a puppy to a cruel master.
Sadly all too true, scarmig. The mainstream Christian God is not remotely Christian . . . pure primitive Jehovah. It must sadden Him greatly that such corruption and distortion of Jesus' loving efforts to remove the veil of ignorance over the OT has been so roundly defeated by the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly all too true, scarmig. The mainstream Christian God is not remotely Christian . . . pure primitive Jehovah. It must sadden Him greatly that such corruption and distortion of Jesus' loving efforts to remove the veil of ignorance over the OT has been so roundly defeated by the "precepts and doctrines of men."
Sadly, you only know half of what Jesus said. God is Love to all who desire it. God is Judgment to all who reject Him. Judgment did not vanish in the NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality