Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sadly, you only know half of what Jesus said. God is Love to all who desire it. God is Judgment to all who reject Him. Judgment did not vanish in the NT.
We cannot use words without understanding their meanings and relationships to others. There is no way to find in the attributes of LOVE . . . anything that remotely resembles what you euphemistically call JUDGMENT(eternal vengeance/punishment/torment/annihilation/separation). God is one or the other . . . but NOT both . . . they are incompatible. The version of God you claim to love is schizophrenic and corrupted by all our human weaknesses. Jesus Christ is NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We cannot use words without understanding their meanings and relationships to others. There is no way to find in the attributes of LOVE . . . anything that remotely resembles what you euphemistically call JUDGMENT(eternal vengeance/punishment/torment/annihilation/separation). God is one or the other . . . but NOT both . . . they are incompatible. The version of God you claim to love is schizophrenic and corrupted by all our human weaknesses. Jesus Christ is NOT.
Your version of God is not Biblical!

John 3:18
18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Like a puppy to a cruel master.
Quite the opposite. God's love is unfailing to those who desire it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
What does this mean, in your opinion?

2 Timothy 3:16

16All Scripture is God-breathed...

I agree that prayer AND listening to God is important,

Psalm 46:10

10 "Be still, and know that I am God

but God will never contradict His written Word.

It means that Paul (assuming he is the writer of Timothy) believed that all scripture is God-breathed.

The trouble with accepting scripture as infallible is that so much is open to interpretation, depending upon where the reader sits. An example would be the Garden of Eden story. To Jews, it is a story about obedience to God, and to a more mundane degree, about why snakes and people generally don't get along.

After Christianity, the same story was reinterpreted to prove the doctrine of original sin and the snake morphs into an embodiment of the Christian version of Satan--a personification of evil. The words "he will crush your head and you will bruise his heel" becomes a foreshadowing of Christ's triumph over evil/death.

Paul was a learned Jew. Which of these versions of the story did he feel was God-breathed?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It means that Paul (assuming he is the writer of Timothy) believed that all scripture is God-breathed.

The trouble with accepting scripture as infallible is that so much is open to interpretation, depending upon where the reader sits. An example would be the Garden of Eden story. To Jews, it is a story about obedience to God, and to a more mundane degree, about why snakes and people generally don't get along.

After Christianity, the same story was reinterpreted to prove the doctrine of original sin and the snake morphs into an embodiment of the Christian version of Satan--a personification of evil. The words "he will crush your head and you will bruise his heel" becomes a foreshadowing of Christ's triumph over evil/death.

Paul was a learned Jew. Which of these versions of the story did he feel was God-breathed?
Paul believed it...You don't?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Paul believed it...You don't?
I am going to assume that you are referring to Paul's "all scripture is God-breathed" statement, since your response above makes no sense if it is supposed to be answering the question at the end of my post.

No, I don't believe that all scripture is God-breathed. I thought that was clear, since this conversation began with my response to a statement that people who don't follow the bible are not real Christians.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-20-2010 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: corrected from "believe" to "follow"

Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I am going to assume that you are referring to Paul's "all scripture is God-breathed" statement, since your response above makes no sense if it is supposed to be answering the question at the end of my post.

No, I don't believe that all scripture is God-breathed. I thought that was clear, since this conversation began with my response to a statement that people who don't follow the bible are not real Christians.
Why can't both be the proper interpretation?

Are you saying only completely understandable Scripture is God-breathed? Or is none of it?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Why can't both be the proper interpretation?

Are you saying only completely understandable Scripture is God-breathed? Or is none of it?
1. Good question. For Jews, the Christian interpretation could not be proper, of course, since they don't believe in the concept of original sin, Satan-as-personification-of-evil, or a messiah that is to redeem humanity. But a Christian could certainly take both interpretations as valid, yes.

2. Have no idea what prompts this question and would be interested to see what sparked it in your mind--nothing I said indicates anything about understandability. Yes, I think some scripture could be God-breathed if you like that term, which brings up a sort of pagan-dragon image in my mind. Some is certainly God-inspired, in my opinion.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
1. Good question. For Jews, the Christian interpretation could not be proper, of course, since they don't believe in the concept of original sin, Satan-as-personification-of-evil, or a messiah that is to redeem humanity. But a Christian could certainly take both interpretations as valid, yes.

2. Have no idea what prompts this question and would be interested to see what sparked it in your mind--nothing I said indicates anything about understandability. Yes, I think some scripture could be God-breathed if you like that term, which brings up a sort of pagan-dragon image in my mind. Some is certainly God-inspired, in my opinion.
This is what sparked my question:

Quote:
The trouble with accepting scripture as infallible is that so much is open to interpretation
I may have misunderstood what exactly you meant.

How do you personally decide what Scripture is God-inspired & useful to you?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Your version of God is not Biblical!

John 3:18
18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
Well . . . I guess that makes me a CHRISTian and not a BIBLEan like you. Which of us is in violation of John 3:18 . . do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality