Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Kyle Busch just won the 400 mile race at Dover Delaware. Joe Gibbs owns the organization and he is a devout Christian. As the final lap was decided the whole Busch team had their heads bowed and were obviously praying or giving thanks.

Is there anybody in this world who believes that the creator of the universe gives a big rat's behind about who wins $500,000 in a stock car race while 900,000,000(one of every six on the planet) starves or suffers from the complications of malnutrition.

It's just a no brainer and the Christians never see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Kyle Busch just won the 400 mile race at Dover Delaware. Joe Gibbs owns the organization and he is a devout Christian. As the final lap was decided the whole Busch team had their heads bowed and were obviously praying or giving thanks.

Is there anybody in this world who believes that the creator of the universe gives a big rat's behind about who wins $500,000 in a stock car race while 900,000,000(one of every six on the planet) starves or suffers from the complications of malnutrition.

I really don't see anything wrong with giving thanks to whatever you want when you win. (Kyle Bush isn't exactly inspirational Christian material BTW)

However, I don't recall Coach Gibbs giving God thanks for his failure at the returning to the NFL a few years back.

What I find funny, and George Carlin pointed this out so well.

"When something good happens, God dun it, everything is great. When something bad happens "The lord works in mysterious ways"

Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Well, quite obviously that's just the sort of thing he is interested in. Finding keys, keeping the traffic lights on green, getting people employment...that sort of thing. Why the hell would he worry about 900,000,000 starving when there are much more important things to do.....like finding parking places for Christians.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:

The better question is why do you care? So what if they prayed? That's their belief and their business. Why does it bother you that they decided to pray? Do you have to be so hateful that you have to make a post about how much it disgust you that people pray? You don't believe in what they are doing so why don't you just get over it?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The better question is why do you care? So what if they prayed? That's their belief and their business. Why does it bother you that they decided to pray? Do you have to be so hateful that you have to make a post about how much it disgust you that people pray? You don't believe in what they are doing so why don't you just get over it?
He's just a grumpy, disappointed old man who dislikes successful Christians. I'm glad I won't grow up like him.

I, like all Christians, dedicate every one of my achievements to the Almighty, and trust me, he does give a rat's behind what I achieve.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
He's just a grumpy, disappointed old man who dislikes successful Christians. I'm glad I won't grow up like him.

I, like all Christians, dedicate every one of my achievements to the Almighty, and trust me, he does give a rat's behind what I achieve.
I have been very successful, and "I" did it, never asked any deity thing for help, never expected it, and based on the deity I see used as an example in these threads, I am positive I wouldn't want it.

Successful people helped me be successful, (I'll take anyone's money ) but I have a great deal of sympathy for the successful that feel so inferior that they attribute their success to an imaginary deity, when in fact they did it themselves. But self loathing is one of the teaching of religion, so I guess it is expected. I just chose to pass on that also.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I have been very successful, and "I" did it, never asked any deity thing for help, never expected it, and based on the deity I see used as an example in these threads, I am positive I wouldn't want it.

Successful people helped me be successful, (I'll take anyone's money ) but I have a great deal of sympathy for the successful that feel so inferior that they attribute their success to an imaginary deity, when in fact they did it themselves. But self loathing is one of the teaching of religion, so I guess it is expected. I just chose to pass on that also.
But you are not a grumpy old man who takes a jab at the ways of other successful people. You have your own ways of success.

Tell me, would it make you sick to the stomach to see some successful guy relish his success and exercising his little moment of his self-assumed spirituality? Why should another man's way of celebration or endorsement even bother you?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Why do you care? So what if they prayed? That's their belief and their business. Why does it bother you that they decided to pray?
I went to my first NASCAR stock car race in 1964 at Bristol Motor Speedway. Every one of them I attended for the next 30 years the praying was part of the introductory ceremonies. I stood there wondering why my listening to that empty bloating of wind was necessary.

My wife and I had annual tickets to Atlanta, Charlotte, Bristol, Talladega and for seventeen consecutive years we were at Daytona during speed weeks in February...from the late 1970's to the mid 1990's.

Take my word for it...the praying never did a bit of good for anybody.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I went to my first NASCAR stock car race in 1964 at Bristol Motor Speedway. Every one of them I attended for the next 30 years the praying was part of the introductory ceremonies. I stood there wondering why my listening to that empty bloating of wind was necessary.

My wife and I had annual tickets to Atlanta, Charlotte, Bristol, Talladega and for seventeen consecutive years we were at Daytona during speed weeks in February...from the late 1970's to the mid 1990's.

Take my word for it...the praying never did a bit of good for anybody.
The critics would say that they pray before hand, in order to help secure the safety of the drivers, the fans, and the crews.

Of course, I'm not sure what you do when someone is hurt, injured, and/or killed at the track? Ban the preacher, because he obviously doesn't have Gods ear?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The critics would say that they pray before hand, in order to help secure the safety of the drivers, the fans, and the crews.

Of course, I'm not sure what you do when someone is hurt, injured, and/or killed at the track? Ban the preacher, because he obviously doesn't have Gods ear?
If they want to thank somebody for saving lives during the races it should be Dale Earnhardt Sr. After his death in 2001 the NASCAR officials saw the handwriting on the wall. They began to perfect and require the HANS device and improved roll cage assembly requirements. Shortly after that they began to add safety barriers to the concrete walls around the race tracks at the most probable points for accidents.

Dale Earnhardt Sr. was still wearing an open faced helmet with sun goggles and sometimes loosened his seat belts for comfort during the latter part of the races. They were on the last lap at Daytona in Feb. 2001 when Earnhardt was killed in a relatively mild looking accident.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-16-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality