Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Please dont take offense, I probably just missed it.
No offense taken---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have one problem with the Theory of Evolution, it doesn't explain how life began.
Knowing how and why a Ford runs says nothing about how it came to be.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
I have one problem with the Theory of Evolution, it doesn't explain how life began.

Yes, it very correctly explains how the diversity of life we enjoy today came into being. Survival of the fittest, and the luckiest, yes.

But it doesn't explain how the first cell formed, or how amino acids developed into the first DNA strain, or however life actually began.

Some scientists think that it does, and I don't see how that could be. They refuse to acknowledge that until we can conclusively say how life began on this planet, we can't rule out a creator of some kind.

That said, we can't rule out purple pony poop from outer space either, but I haven't heard that theory yet.
It's obviously because the Theory of Evolution doesn't concern itself with the origins of life--just the diversification of it.

The theory you're looking for is Abiogenesis. We have several.

Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abiogenesis FAQs: The Origins of Life

Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It's obviously because the Theory of Evolution doesn't concern itself with the origins of life--just the diversification of it.

The theory you're looking for is Abiogenesis. We have several.

Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abiogenesis FAQs: The Origins of Life
You're absolutely right, but some people see evolution as being the end all answer.

The fact is, we have absolutely no idea how life began. Lots of theories, all of which, start with little "t's"

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right, but some people see evolution as being the end all answer.
End all answer to what?

Quote:
The fact is, we have absolutely no idea how life began. Lots of theories, all of which, start with little "t's"
We have a pretty good idea of how life began. My most recent understanding is that we're having difficulty binding sugars. I'll have to re-read.

Regardless--life needs energy, water, and organic molecules. All three are abundant in our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, and universally. Water is one of the most common molecules, and we've spotted carbon molecules pretty much everywhere. In fact, we can find life surviving in places we wouldn't expect--including high-radiation, high-pressure, high-temperature, and places opposite of those.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think this is the third time I pasted this in the last two weeks. No one pays attention to what I say......[/font]
For the simple reason you are quoting a book of fable and urban legend. Obviously that is what you believe, but I for one do not read the regurgitated pablum from the book of fables.

Evolution is documented, proven, and ongoing today, every species that thrives is continuing to evolve. Save for our species "survival of the fittest" guarantees that.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So which one do you believe in? Your response implies that you do believe in a god otherwise you would have answered "I don't".

Seems in the last year the pat atheist answer to the question is "which one". When in fact, the truthful answer is none.
No. I had a theist who claim that their god is the phenomenon that set off the big bang.. I believe in the phenomenon that set off the big bang, thus I believe in his god.. Though I would not label it a god, but an "unknown phenomenon".

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
So I take it no one has any problem with the actual theory of evolution itself?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The theory of evolution has been described as a "fairy tale for adults." I tend to agree.

With respect to the OP, a little more specificity on your part may prove helpful in advancing a discussion. If, by the theory of evolution, you mean to infer a "molecules to man" explanation for the existence of mankind, there is simply no science to support this. We may just as well theorize that we are the result of some sort of eternally existing pixie dust.

If, by the theory of evolution, you mean to infer that our existence is merely the result of the chance mixture of matter and chance events in time I would would have to ask what exactly is 'chance?' Can 'chance' really do anything? Does 'chance' have any power?

If, by the theory of evolution, you mean to infer that it's nothing more than a basic hypothesis, then I have no problem with the theory of evolution.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Of course the Theory of Evolution has merit.

I would like to add...in humans...it is interesting to trace our "mental evolution", as well as our "physical evolution".

Especially, as respects Natural Selection.

And especially the prevalence of the mental "trait"--"Belief in God":

It's the most prevalent concept "trait" there is. No other single theological concept presents in more people.

So, it can be logically and reasonably concluded---Of Homo Sapiens living in the environment of the earth, at this point in time, the "trait" of, Belief in God, is the singularly most sucsessful...relative to any other theological "trait". Top of the food chain Baby!...Alpha theological concept! I'd say Atheism is waaaaaaaaaaay down on the list. That's more aligned with the "Pink Unicorn Theology" and "FSM Theology", for prevalence of humans presenting with that theological "trait". Actually, "Pink Unicorn Theology" might beat Atheism (though FSM has been gaining ground as of late)---see, if it was more advantageous, more people would present with that "trait"...Nature/Evolution would compel it through Natural Selection.

In Summation: Natural Selection...a "scientifically proven" principle component of Evolution...puts "Belief in God" as the #1 best trait of mankind, for that type of "trait"...by the same analysis, Atheism is one of the worst. Ya know, that's not actually what I thought to begin with....but the "science" of Natural Selection proved me wrong on that, after reviewing the EVIDENCE. So, I capitulated...hey, facts are facts.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM

113 posts, read 175,244 times
It seems so funny. all the stuff my husband shows me and we see on TV points directly at evolution. Then I read you guys here disbelieving it because it doesn't explain how life started.

Even I who is not a sicentist understands the difference there. I like that quote above about the Ford. You don't have to know or even understand how it was designed or made to appreciate that its still parked in your driveway! They even get better every year. I still don't know how.

I think theres a bunch of Christians who just can't muster the courage to accept the obvious. They are too stuck in their one-dimensional thinking. Besides, if they open their minds up to this idea, what else will they discover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality