Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 PM

22,306 posts, read 19,272,896 times

Advertisements

This is a question for those who say there is no God.
What inspires you? In your life, from what do you draw inspiration? What uplifts you and inspires you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:16 PM

275 posts, read 687,485 times
I am inspired by those who made it happen in there lives, I am inspired by the love i get from my family and girlfriend, God really does not inspire me because i have never met him/her and so have you. Be inspired by positive thinkers always find a way or make one. it isn't the time to wait many years for God to find you ways. Always do things with your whole heart and courage and you will eventually receive your own reward. you reap what you sow doesn't the bible say so. I am inspired by life itself it is a wonderful thing to exist and to be born a human other than anything else. I love you Universe because without you there could have been no me.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
I sincerely hope there is no insinuation to suggest that you simply can't imagine people being inspired unless they believe in God - more specifically, your exact God. I'm not sure if that's the case, I'm just making that general statement before I go on to explain what inspires me. I also don't think that what inspires me is necessarily what's going to inspire anyone else - religious or not. We are all unique individuals and I feel that what inspires us has a lot to do with our personal experiences in life. But, what is inspiring to me?

Have you ever read John Steinbeck's East of Eden and upon reading the very last word "timshel," asked yourself "That S-O-B, how on Earth did he ever do that!?" For those who know what I'm talking about, the word was the summation, the answer, the culminating final key to the entire puzzle of the entire book. It wasn't until the very last word, the very last phrase of the very last sentence that the entire novel was brought into perspective. With a single word, Steinbeck was able to wrap up six-hundred pages of his story. The beauty, majesty, and simplistic harmony with which seamless integration becomes apparent is very inspiring.

To have a mystery or a puzzle that at once seems unsolvable but is finally recognized as having been solved - that is beauty and that is inspiring. When the last piece of the puzzle, the final word of the novel, the missing integer of a math problem or the biggest scientific breakthroughs are discovered and things become far clearer than they ever were before... That's inspiring. That's compelling. And that continues to inspire and drive me.

There are inherently beautiful things on this planet. The female figure (except in parts of the Deep South), the ocean sunset, the ocean sunrise, the forests of the Amazon, the species of this Earth, and the cities we've built in luxurious grandeur - as well as senescent dilapidation. They are compelling to see, wanton to be visited, and they compromise our view of reality with a hint of grandeur. How inspiring, how majestic is it to do something, to see something, to experience that which you've never experienced before? How could that not be inspiring?

When you've worked tirelessly to achieve something, to make your way to the top, or to finish a project and your efforts become well-received, is that not inspiring? Is it not a breath of fresh air to have your trials and efforts realized for what they were but also to receive accolades for the final product? Is that not inspiring? Does that not drive anyone else?

Have you ever had an experience of fine dining whereby words cannot justify the succulence of what your taste buds have experienced? On those rare occasions when it happens, you simply know that from the moment you take the last bite, you will forever pursue a meal of the same character and intensity as that with which you just had. The pursuit of grandeur and pursuit of the perfect mixture of sweet, sour, bitter, or salty will forever stay in your mind until the next comparable meal is found. And then it will take the place of the previous. Is that not a drive? Is that not inspiring?

The bottom line is that there are so many eloquent, harmonious, and beautiful things that can be attributed to the experience of living your life fully and the best that you can. The pressures of work, a ticking clock, and our personal lives beat away at us day in and day out. But, there is an added element of beauty in this world that can be enjoyed almost at will. For each person, the beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder. For me, it's the majesty of perfect literature, the solving of a unique problem, the taste of fine dining, the experience of going somewhere or seeing something I've never seen, and the boost of self-esteem that comes from having worked hard on something to see the fruits of labor blossoming.

If you cannot see that it doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not to experience these things, to enjoy these things, to have the fullest exploration of humanity within those walls, there is no hope for humankind. For to think that I, or another Atheist, cannot fully appreciate the majesty of all that there is because we don't attribute the fabulous world to a specific deity is vainly ignorant and vainly closed-minded. Life is beautiful. Life is majestic. Life is inspiring.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
I do believe in a God, I just believe that it has no influence on our lives, and could care less what we do, or what happens to us.

So, what inspires me? Myself, humanity, and leaving things better than they were when I got there.

If I do good things, and make things better in the ways I can, then that helps everyone.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
What inspires you? In your life, from what do you draw inspiration? What uplifts you and inspires you?
FAMILY! They are first, always.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
I am inspired by great music most of all.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

9,319 posts, read 14,932,402 times
Nature, the beauty and mystery of the natural world.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
I'm inspired by creativity, intelligence, artistic skills such as painting and music, people who think for themselves and countless other activities that emphasize what is real as opposed to what people wish was real.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:38 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,286,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

What inspires you? In your life, from what do you draw inspiration?

Breath.

Art.

Literature, poetry, music.

Creativity, and the creative process that she sees and experiences nearly every day, in any myriad, or number of ways.

Laughter in love with those she loves.

The above ^ most especially as regards "bad dancing" and "all things moose."

The near daily honking of geese in the early morning, as they fly over her beloved house, awakening and 'calling' her to a new day.

Finally, the last three, which are no doubt the most important to her:

1- The angst and hardship she witnesses in others on a near daily basis, and the trust they bestow in her in showing her that. --Not because she is so incredibly "worthy" of their doing so, but rather, because something within them enables them to, such that they look for hope, to which she is but an honored recipient in that quest.

2- "Little June." June's little "Spud boy." Always, forever always, the Spud boy....Whose eyes first opened, and in so doing, looked into hers. Upon which point heaven and earth came together each day to have a diaglogue....

3- House, home, her woefully lost, begotten hope...

Take gentle inspirational care.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:45 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
I'm inspired when I see people reach and exceed their potential, whether it be in the arts, business, socially or charities, especially if they consider themselves handicapped in some way.

People like Ray Charles, Beethoven, Isaac Asimov, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and the list goes on...

I am inspired when I see people interrupting their own lives to travel far away to help people who have suffered some kind of disaster, and wish I were able to join them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality