Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times

Advertisements

Yes, dead is dead. BUT, dead is not the end.

Hebrews 9:27
27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I understand you have to believe in God or the Bible to take what the Bible says as truth, but we can know outside of the Bible....it's written on our hearts. That little inkling that you have telling you that "this just can't be all there is".....it's right!! This life is but a shadow, a wisp of smoke that alludes to the life that is to come.

We will all eventually know God and understand this life and what it was for. This is good news!! ALL will be reconciled to God eventually and the disbelief will disappear as we ALL bow down before Him. We have "glorified" bodies to look forward to, and an eternity to enjoy them. Woo Hoo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
[quote=Ilene Wright;14298061]Yes, dead is dead. BUT, dead is not the end.

we can know outside of the Bible....it's written on our hearts. That little inkling that you have telling you that "this just can't be all there is".....it's right!! This life is but a shadow, a wisp of smoke that alludes to the life that is to come. [quote]

Methinks your parents and/or society put that little inkling in your heart...it's been going on for thousands of years.

Cannibilism as a belief and religion was practiced for thousands of years because each generation taught their successors that it was the right thing to do. Just a few decades ago the last cannibals died off(as far as we know)...guess what they gave up their old belief for?? Yes bother Ben you guessed it!! Christianity. Another superstition.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post

Methinks your parents and/or society put that little inkling in your heart...it's been going on for thousands of years.

Cannibilism as a belief and religion was practiced for thousands of years because each generation taught their successors that it was the right thing to do. Just a few decades ago the last cannibals died off(as far as we know)...guess what they gave up their old belief for?? Yes bother Ben you guessed it!! Christianity. Another superstition.
Nah, you know it as well as I do. It's there in your mind and heart that this life is just the beginning of something much greater. It's okay to believe that!! I'd say that becoming a Christian rather than a cannibal is a step in the right direction, wouldn't you?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Nah, you know it as well as I do. It's there in your mind and heart that this life is just the beginning of something much greater. It's okay to believe that!! I'd say that becoming a Christian rather than a cannibal is a step in the right direction, wouldn't you?
I won't argue with you about that but they're both rank superstitious beliefs conjured up by primitive mankind who had no more idea of what the universe consisted of than does my german shepherd dog.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
I won't argue with you about that but they're both rank superstitious beliefs conjured up by primitive mankind who had no more idea of what the universe consisted of than does my german shepherd dog.
Bullocks--my German Shepherd knows that the universe consists solely of me--and he's not one to be argued with.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
The religious no longer argue that the soul is a physical thing, instead they treat it(and outright claim) as energy. Why? Because they heard that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. What they forget is that energy doesn't stay in place, specially not when you die.

If there is an afterlife then why is death such a big deal? Why are people so scared of dying? Why do people try to stay alive when they are in pain at the verge of dying? Why are close ones so distraught at a funeral?

It just makes no sense if there was an afterlife, you may think that people go to heaven when they die but your body knows otherwise and it makes you feel like crap when they are gone.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Well I'll pray for your dogs to start talking so they can tell you that all of this is real and that they will be in heaven waiting for you to serve out your sentence. But that's only if you never accept Christ. Saved=no sentence. God=LOVE=Reconciliation.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
If there is an afterlife then why is death such a big deal? Why are people so scared of dying? Why do people try to stay alive when they are in pain at the verge of dying? Why are close ones so distraught at a funeral?

It just makes no sense if there was an afterlife, you may think that people go to heaven when they die but your body knows otherwise and it makes you feel like crap when they are gone.
That's rationalization of the human kind (mind) and spiritual things are above that. We're scared because it's unknown. NO ONE knows what's going to happen FOR SURE after we die, so everyone tries to cling to this life like it's the only one we'll have.

We cry at funerals because we miss our loved ones. We know we'll never see them again "in this life". I personally hate funerals.....they should be celebrations, not gloom and doom. But that's another subject. I wish I could make everyone see what I see and feel what I feel.....when you know Christ life and the afterlife just come alive in your whole body and spirit and there is no greater joy than that. But I'm satisfied in knowing that ALL people will eventually be reconciled to God, and that they will eventually experience the joy that I feel.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 AM

24 posts, read 46,706 times
Quote:
Just because our primitive ancestors couldn't accept their mortality shouldn't govern our ability to do so.
And your proof is?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
The religious no longer argue that the soul is a physical thing, instead they treat it(and outright claim) as energy. Why? Because they heard that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. What they forget is that energy doesn't stay in place, specially not when you die.
This is a common misunderstanding created by our sensory system in the middle range of "molecular" activity.Our perceptions of "matter" are deceptive.

. . . It is clear that the future conception of matter ought to be devoid of all sensory qualities, even those . . . present in seemingly abstract mathematical notions. The search for imageless models of matter will become imperative. . . In this search, the observed isomorphism of psychological duration and physical becoming will constitute one of the most significant clues. ------ M. Capek

Actually, the only thing that exists in our universe is energy. It is merely stratified into differing states. The separation of these states is determined by the relation of their vibratory "speeds" to each other. Matter, or mass, is energy decelerated from the square of the speed of light. Conversely, energy is matter accelerated to the square of the speed of light. This is Einstein's famous equation in words.

To understand the philosophical significance of energy, we must change our basic notion of speed as a characteristic of getting somewhere. Speed illustrates relativity and will be useful in simplifying the concept, as Henri Bergson observed, "percevoir signifie immobiliser."

You can visualize the relativistic nature of matter and energy by imagining the passing of a tremendously fast automobile close to you on the highway. If you are stationary, the car as it passes will be an invisible blur, in essence, pure motive energy. Now picture yourself on the same highway in another car traveling at an identical speed. The other car will now be a solid object to your eyes, not a blur of energy.

All matter is in continuous molecular motion. The "speed" of this molecular motion determines the state we view it in. All our visible matter is that which is traveling at relatively the same range of molecular speed that our bodies are. This is the normal range of molecular activity as it contains those energy states that we can sense as solids or composite entities. This is a limitation of our bodily senses.

Our senses are limited by the speed of the molecular activity that comprises their very existence. We are not equipped to sense as a composite any substance that exists at the square of the speed of light. When the speed of molecular activity reaches the square of the speed of light, it becomes pure energy to us because it exceeds the normal range.

Essentially, those things with molecular activity at similar speeds to ours are the living forms of substance, both animate and inanimate. Animate life forms are the ones whose molecular speed is identical to ours. Inanimate life forms are slower, but still living. The things whose molecular speeds are so slow relative to ours that they appear immobile are the lifeless (inorganic) forms.

The forms of substance with molecular speeds faster than ours appear less and less solid, from the fluid and gaseous states to the speed range designated as energy. As long as the molecular speed of our body and senses remains fixed, we can never see the fastest substance as anything but a blur of energy "leaving this place" (wherever we are). But it is simply existing at a higher molecular "speed" within the universe-at-large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality