Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I liked your post. Particularly the way you don't take yourself too seriously.

"belief is enough to inspire and to promote faith, as existing on its own accord and not burdened by reason."

Yes it is. But it is not enough to provide any good reason for that belief and that is what is lacking for those who find it important to have sound reasons for what they believe.
Is that to say that you have NO faith in anything? After all, if you have to see proof of something, you don't need faith at all, right?

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'll just go on confusing people.
THAT is just a waste of time and energy.

Charles

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry to see your asinine dismissal of the entirety of my post to quote mine a single supportive phrase. The hypocrisy of "objective" scientists is legion. The density in here is suffocating.
People like this are wonderful people to know. They are all for diversity of thought as long as you agree with them.

Charles

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Deist believe that a creator created the Universe, and everything within it. That doesn't mean that the "creator" knew everything that was going to happen after, but many things, sure.

Did it know which shirt I was going to wear this morning? Did it care if it did know? These are unanswerable questions.

My belief, a "creator" whatever it was, created the Universe, and that was it. Everything from that point on was a crap shoot. It may know how things will end, if they ever do. It understands the physical laws that govern our Universe, but thats it.

Now, is the "creator" a all powerful God, or a alien species that understands the laws of physics, and can create matter at will, or is it a purple unicorn that pooped us out? No one knows, and your guess is as good as mine.
But that is not the way many atheists say it. They - and not all - contend that if I can't show concrete evidence of what I believe, I am stupid to believe it. To them, not having proof (or strong evidence) is NOT an option.

Charles

Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
But that is not the way many atheists say it. They - and not all - contend that if I can't show concrete evidence of what I believe, I am stupid to believe it. To them, not having proof (or strong evidence) is NOT an option.
Why does that bother you so much? If you don't need a reason to believe what you believe, there's no need to worry when other people point out this fact. Or are you truly not happy with this situation and blaming the messenger?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry to see your asinine dismissal of the entirety of my post to quote mine a single supportive phrase. The hypocrisy of "objective" scientists is legion. The density in here is suffocating.
I guess insults and arrogance is the only defense when it's correctly pointed out that the evidence doesn't back up what you're claiming.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
I'm really curious about something...why is the need to believe in a creator/god so important? Is this something we really need to know to live our present lives? How does not knowing one way or the other affect your lives and the way you live it?

See...I don't spend my days wondering whether or not I was created by some unknown source either way because I really don't think it's necessary to know something we may never know. I just try to live my life the best that I can being kind, tolerant and generous to others...because if this is all we have, then we have to make it the best it can be.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I guess insults and arrogance is the only defense when it's correctly pointed out that the evidence doesn't back up what you're claiming.
I guess seeing insults and arrogance when your insulting and arrogant positions are pointed out is to be expected. We tend to see our own motives in others. Try educating yourself on the subjects before claiming things about evidence of phenomena in the universe from 4+% of the universe. Then return and I'll address them with you.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I guess seeing insults and arrogance when your insulting and arrogant positions are pointed out is to be expected.
"I know you are but what am I". Is that the level of discourse required to get a PhD in the humanities these days?

Anyway, it's not an insult to correctly identify personal attacks as irrelevant.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Is that to say that you have NO faith in anything? After all, if you have to see proof of something, you don't need faith at all, right?

Charles
Depends what you mean by 'Faith'. If you mean a belief in something because of evidence or through a logical conclusion, I have a shedload of that.

But Faith in believing firmly in something without an good evidence or because it's what i would prefer to believe...no..I don't have much of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality