Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This, and other purely speculative questions that are impossible to answer because they are not rooted in anything tangible or real in any objective, measurable way, have always puzzled me.
Yeah, know what you mean mate. I have the same problem regarding why people drive in the middle lane of a motorway when the inside lane is empty or, why does the gas bottle always run out when you are having a shower but not when you are washing the dishes. It's a mystery eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nevertheless, the OP makes a valid point. Why do we spend so much time debating intricacies of a belief system?

The theist answer is...well, they'd better say why themselves. I suspect because it's all about proving which religion, denomination and subset of denomination is the right one, because getting into heaven or not may depend on wearing the right hat.
This is more done in Western Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Eastern Christianity had no scholasticism as such and tended to just say that certain things are mysteries. Although outside Western religion Chinese philosophies sometimes had rather involved ideas on reality and debates concerning them.

Religions often tend to see themselves as true and having answers to questions. There are many questions that can be asked so a certain level of intricacy might develop over time. Also humans are themselves complicated so an oversimplified religion might not be sufficient for societal needs.

Granted there are simplification movements, but I think for many atheists the results of those movements would not look that great. For example Radical Islam is largely a simplification movement. I remember some in my life or on TV saying "why doesn't Islam have a Reformation", well Radical Islam in some ways is their analogy to the Reformation. (All such analogies are inexact though) One of its main intentions is to sweep away various pagan or semi-pagan traditions that accreted over the centuries and return to the "purity" of a focus on the Qur'an and validated teachings. So no more debating which Sufi saint did what, but instead bulldozing the memorials to Sufi saints and maybe bulldozing the Sufis themselves.

In Christianity Fundamentalism itself began as a simplification movement. It focused on certain "fundamental truths" of Christianity. It is much less violent than Radical Islam, but in some ways Fundamentalist Christianity is more anti-intellectual. Radical Islam felt it needed to "Answer the West" and its philosophical concerns as RI first arose in a period where Western Imperialism still had some bearing. So several Radical Muslims were highly educated or even went to places like Oxford. Fundamentalist Christianity was also a response to a threat in a way, but it was a threat among Christians (Religious modernism) rather than an external imperialism by a nation that seemed intellectually advanced of them.

Anyway intricacy and complication allow for study for a lifetime. For a simple creed, like atheism or Fundamentalist and Pentecostal Christianity, you get your intellectual stuff from other things. Granted if you deem religion a crock than using your intellect on it might seem a waste of time.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Thank you. I think you might find some of Hinduism and Buddhism theology or techicality remarkably complicated, but there is certainly less dickering about right or wrong interpretations.

"For a simple creed, like atheism or Fundamentalist and Pentecostal Christianity, you get your intellectual stuff from other things. Granted if you deem religion a crock than using your intellect on it might seem a waste of time."

(Puts on pedants' hat) Atheism is not a creed, though it's simple enough.

If religion is a 'crock' then using intellect (other than as historical research) is indeed a waste of time. However, countering the arguments put forward as reasons to embrace the crock, is not.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This, and other purely speculative questions that are impossible to answer because they are not rooted in anything tangible or real in any objective, measurable way, have always puzzled me.
Do angels dance?

If so, what kind of dance?

Jitter Bug?

The twist?

To me, that's the more important question.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
(Puts on pedants' hat) Atheism is not a creed, though it's simple enough.
I was thinking "creed" could mean any idea or belief, but you're right it means a system. "Opinion" or "viewpoint" then.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Every single angel that exists, every one of them, as in all.

Did I mention that angels are also imaginary.

For those that are spelling challenged, that would be 360 angles

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times
bye God I have got it!!!!eureeka,after all this deliberation and calculation its 108 dear watson lets have a celebration-im a poet and i didnt know it

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was thinking "creed" could mean any idea or belief, but you're right it means a system. "Opinion" or "viewpoint" then.
Takes off pedants' hat Ok with that.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
bye God I have got it!!!!eureeka,after all this deliberation and calculation its 108 dear watson lets have a celebration-im a poet and i didnt know it

Well, I can't dispove it so, according to the best theist thinking, you must be right.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Do angels dance?

If so, what kind of dance?

Jitter Bug?

The twist?

To me, that's the more important question.

Not if they're Baptist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality