Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Isn't the idea that something must be proven by empirical evidence in order to be true a metaphysical statment? I mean, that idea can't be proven by empirical evidence. So, in essence you are putting your faith in something as much as any believer in god is.
Nope. "Can't be proven with 100% certainty" isn't the same as "requires blind faith to believe in". There's a large middle ground there that you've ignoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's dudette.
Well in my defense, "dude" is a unisex term in my world! But sorry for mis-identifying your gender, I know that is annoying.

Quote:
No one is saying you have to believe in anything. It's only an experiment. You can stop it at anytime. You can keep your beliefs, however, some idea of your own God will help.
No offense intended, but it's the sort of "experiment" that doesn't work on atheists and it is frankly somewhat insulting since it seems to assume that atheists are closet believers in rebellion. It's almost like theists just refuse to understand or perhaps are incapable of understanding that we really just do not believe. The stories were implausible to me as a child and only became more so as I grew older and wiser. Believing is not something that I can just "try out" like a new haircolor, it has to come from within, and I don't.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
I am an atheist, and I think I can speak on behave all the atheists in the world on this one: we'll give your God a chance -- all the chances, but you need to present at least a single credible evidence to show your God exists.

Fair enough? Just like to anything else (God is no exception), demanding evidence is reasonable. Some explanation on "evidence": it does not have to be scientific, however it must be testable, verifiable.

So there you have it, go ahead give your God a chance.
You can't be serious with this?! God doesn't owe you diddly squat!! You get on your knees and pray and ask him to send you a message or something. Demanding evidence? Lord have mercy your digging your own grave!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You can't be serious with this?! God doesn't owe you diddly squat!! You get on your knees and pray and ask him to send you a message or something. Demanding evidence? Lord have mercy your digging your own grave!
In many ways, a believer's god is a reflection on their own personality. A kind and compassionate person will often have a concept of loving and forgiving god. On the other hand, an aggressive and judgmental believer will believe in a vengeful, angry god. It's an interesting view into the personality of the believer.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
No proof from me either..I believe he exists some people do not..

Why do I feel the need to argue, insult and bash others to try to force my beliefs on them as truth? I don't..

Why do I care if everyone else believes what I do? I don't

Give God a chance? I did, it works for me. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone else..

Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
In many ways, a believer's god is a reflection on their own personality. A kind and compassionate person will often have a concept of loving and forgiving god. On the other hand, an aggressive and judgmental believer will believe in a vengeful, angry god. It's an interesting view into the personality of the believer.
Yes it is. I have a tough personality. I'm not a kind or sweet person at all. I tell it like it is and that is how I've always been. I don't care if you get mad or if your upset, you asked, I tell. And I stand by what I said. It's an act of praying even if you aren't a believer and asking God to show you that he does. Do not demand! When you ask God something, your talking to the powerful! Do not play with his name or his righteousness because then you are stepping into dangerous territory.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I have to say, AllenK, that it's refreshing to have a 'Stuff you: pray or die' theist approach.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Well in my defense, "dude" is a unisex term in my world! But sorry for mis-identifying your gender, I know that is annoying.

No offense intended, but it's the sort of "experiment" that doesn't work on atheists and it is frankly somewhat insulting since it seems to assume that atheists are closet believers in rebellion. It's almost like theists just refuse to understand or perhaps are incapable of understanding that we really just do not believe. The stories were implausible to me as a child and only became more so as I grew older and wiser. Believing is not something that I can just "try out" like a new haircolor, it has to come from within, and I don't.
Fair enough. I am in no way saying I want you to believe just because I believe. Don't change who you are for anyone. As I've stated before, most athiests are better to be around than most religious zealots. Most religions want you to follow a set of their rules or else. I don't believe any God would do that to His children so I feel that most religionists will have more to change than an athiest once in the spirit world. You may not believe in Him but at the same time, you are doing as He asks of us. Just BE. most religionsist tell you to be BUT you have to follow their rules. I like the athiest view better.

In my own beliefs, we believe in Divine Love. I believe that is all God asks of us. No mass, no ceremonies, no tithing, no church, no fasting, just Love.

I wish you well on your journey through this life. If you find in the spirit world that there is a God, remember Divine Love.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM

433 posts, read 587,170 times
No evidence, right? Just excuses.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Now if God could just take a lesson from this guy he’d get his point across.

YouTube - SCADshorts: Love Hurts

And its all about love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality