Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

You know it's strange, I don't use profanity but I'm not sure I would exactly call it wrong. I just find it ugly and not really necessary in most cases.

Mostly my concern with it relates to the "necessary" aspect. To me the purpose of profanity is to to add extra emphasis, urgency, or emotion to a phrase or situation. For example in the episode of ER where Dr. Greene is dying of cancer I thought the character using the s-word was appropriate and even added something to the scene. Or the one time I used the "b-word" it was because this trauma doctor terrified me when I was on a respirator and basically told me if I died it was my fault for not trying hard enough. However individuals I see who use the f-word in every sentence, to me, are being lazy with language and rendering the word meaningless. If one starts using the words all the time like that it kind of loses its power to shock or its expressiveness. And I think words do and should sometimes have power.

The one time I went into a cursing rant it meant something. It meant I had stayed up way too long and was getting a tad manic. Or prosaically I was flipping out. People also knew it meant something and acted according to that. That's profanity to me, something emotionally charged not necessary for just every day situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I think in certain very stressful situations, profanity can slip out. Someone who uses it everyday and in everyday speech comes across as uneducated, not very smart, not in charge of their emotions, very impulsive, immature.. it's not a positive thing.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:37 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
If so why?
As a Christian, I'm not suppose to. But I have a sailor mouth. I grew up in tough neighborhoods and around various people so it's going to be a hard habit to break. Some people just deserve to be cussed at sometimes.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Yes. When I see people in the professional space use it, I downgrade them to ghetto status. I won't even touch them like he were an untouchable.

But it's allowed in the outside world, where there are no rules
I rarely use profanity. Days or weeks can go by without my using one of the words that would be censored here.

But I occasionally do use it in the workplace, for emphasis. It occasionally happens that people will ignore directives in the workplace. A well timed, stern conversation with a few vulgar words will really get a person's attention. It serves to bring my concerns to a higher level, and has always worked.

But back to the OP, no, I do not have a problem with profanity. I tend not to use it much, because there are usually better ways of expressing myself.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Yes. When I see people in the professional space use it, I downgrade them to ghetto status. I won't even touch them like he were an untouchable.

But it's allowed in the outside world, where there are no rules
Your ears would burn off at my workplace. Many of your airline control and processing systems are written and maintained by ghetto folk. :LOL:

Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Profanity shows a lack of self-control.

The Bible does tell us not to use corrupt communication, which in the context is conversation which does not build-up the hearer.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Do you think it's wrong to use profanity?
**** no!!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I use profanity all the time when I'm with people like myself who aren't bothered by it but there are certain people like my Mother who I have never once swore in front of. Depends on the situation.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
When I worked on a drilling rig, between semesters, I learned a lot of new words and really clever combinations. One word would have multiple usages - noun, verb, adverb, adjective, gerund, etc. It made up for what little vocabulary they had. "Oil Field Trash and Proud Of It" was a phrase that was really taken to heart.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Profanity shows a lack of self-control.
And also, a serious lack of command in the particular language. If you have to turn on someone verbally and profanity is the best you can do...that's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality