Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,885,070 times

Advertisements

I'm abandoning my posting over on the limited-entry Christianity sub; here's what I've found just in 5 minutes of searching online for, in this case, the daily frequency of quakes of varying magnitudes, in earthquake-prone Japan.

I used to visit there on business, and felt too many to count. That was between 10 and 15 years ago. but yet, they still happen every day there, and often. Japan has yet to sink under the seas. Good thing it's predominant religion, Shintoism, is one based firmly on a spiritual naturalism, and not Christianity, else they'd all have to commit hari-kari or run into the seas.

Phoenix Five Earth Changes Gallery:* World Earthquake Activity

These charts & graphs not only clearly show the lack of any increase in overall frequencies of most magnitudes, but also a generally stable frequency overall, and a general reduction in the larger (>6 RS) magnitude events in the past decade.

Remember now; this particular reporting group has no religious nor even secular axe to grind. They are simply geotech types recording, as Joe Friday said, "Just the facts ma'am! Only the facts!" They could frankly care less if a particular cult group disputes the numbers because they don't fit the desired profile.

As a direct result, they also carefully note the limitations to this data, it only being considered accurate for the last decade or so, because before that, they didn't have the equipment or sensitivity or global reporting available now.

The Big Question then is: Since those same technical limitations apply to everyone's interpretation, how can ET-Christians come so confidently to their unique conclusions, based on currently reported (CNN, CBN, etc.) frequencies?

As in: Too bad those inarguable facts don't fit the hoped-for doomsday End-Times scenario, huh?

But hey; perhaps I'm just blinded by the numbers and the science. I'd love to hear, or see, support for the alternate viewpoint, expressed in terms of real numbers, not wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,983,241 times
Youi won't get any refutations from the like minded individuals here or even Christians who actually exercise common sense so this thread might die a slow death. If you put it over yonder, you will be called a troll.

You know, I wanted to suggest that they start a new forum that just deals with "end time" theology and just let folks go at it. There is another website I go to and they have a forum called "The Lion's Den." It is for serious debate and it is not for the faint of heart and easily offended. I like it because you have to come good with your argument and can't start crying and trying to frighten people with hell. City-Data needs something like that.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,742,546 times
But.... I already gave all my money, food and daughters to that cult in the Nevada desert...so they could be safe...

Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,194,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
But.... I already gave all my money, food and daughters to that cult in the Nevada desert...so they could be safe...
Ha, ha, ha.....that's funny and I needed a good laugh this afternoon!! Thanks!!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,453,175 times
There ya go again rifleman, posting more of them dang facts, it must be the work of the devil or something, as facts are the clear and present danger to religion.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 PM

783 posts, read 1,323,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Good thing it's predominant religion, Shintoism, is one based firmly on a spiritual naturalism, and not Christianity, else they'd all have to commit hari-kari or run into the seas.
Is this what you honestly believe about Christianity?

Quote:
These charts & graphs not only clearly show the lack of any increase in overall frequencies of most magnitudes, but also a generally stable frequency overall, and a general reduction in the larger (>6 RS) magnitude events in the past decade.
Interesting, you interpret data a little differently than those who compiled the data and then projected daily frequency to 2029.

Quote:
As a direct result, they also carefully note the limitations to this data, it only being considered accurate for the last decade or so, because before that, they didn't have the equipment or sensitivity or global reporting available now.
This in itself leaves us in a bit of a dilemma.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Cool "Jus' doin' God's Holy Work is all!"

Certainly does. No, I actually don't believe that of all of Christianity, but as for the ET posters on the Christianity sub, this is exactly how they think. They see "evidence" in every twitching leaf and trembling lake. All you have to do is go and read the threads. After all, if they didn't say such things as "Oh, you'll see!", or "It's coming, this is all a sign!", I'd have nothing to talk about, would I? It's also obvious that they are really hoping for it, and the sooner the better.

Thing is, S&L, what do you believe about the supposed significant increase (but actual decrease) in the Freq. & Mag. of >6.0 RS global earthquakes?

Do you, as they do, deny the actual numbers, and call us all aberrant & dishonest scientists? Or can you possibly accept that it's all an obvious scam on their part, to drum up fear and converts? I.e.: can Christians criticize other Christians who are out purposefully scamming innocent but easily terrorized folks? As in: do the ends, any ends, fully justify the means if'n you're in the greater congregation?

A sort of Jimmy Swaggert/ Jim Baker mentality is OK?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,323,557 times
Quote:
Thing is, S&L, what do you believe about the supposed significant increase (but actual decrease) in the Freq. & Mag. of >6.0 RS global earthquakes?
Unlike you , I’ve not seen enough data to come to any meaningful conclusion. But, I’m not really concerned about it either. One thing that I have concluded is, that if the information you posted is your only source of study, it is obvious that you’re actually more interested in criticizing Christians than scientific analysis. This being the case; how is your proselytizing any different than that of those you criticize?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,548,531 times
Thanks, Rifleman. But isn't it remarkably easy, in the absence of those 'Damned Facts' (as Charles Fort put it) to easily believe that earthquakes and the like are increasing in frequency?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 AM

Not how it works, S&L. In fact, the only "proof" of the upcoming ETs are the posted CNN reports, headlines, etc., which the thread OP then assures us is evidence of the coming catastrophe. Then follows a predictable "You'd better "Get of Board with the Lord" tag line, or the more ominous: I'm just saying...".

If you bother to go over to the Christianity sub-forum and check out several of Betsey Lane's incredible threads, and the commentary of other ET'ists there, you'd also find quite an array of credible additional USGS, Univ. of SoCal and other links that completely and categorically debunk the suggestion that, unlike a quick CNN head count, thoroughly put this stupid idea to bed.

Facts are, the frequency and magnitude of >6RS earthquakes has declined.

Earthquake Frequency Data: Facts no Atheist should be without.-picture-1.png

As well, as more than a few Christians and that website I provided show, nowhere in the bible does it say that the End Times will be presaged by massive earthly catastrophes; only during the End Times.

But if you don't believe in all of this, why bother to comment? Why tar yourself with the same brush of ignorance they willingly choose to.

Last edited by rifleman; 05-29-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality