Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM

317 posts, read 576,438 times

Advertisements

Its funny though, I did not once find an Atheist serving in Iraq, everyone believed in God one form or another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
Its funny though, I did not once find an Atheist serving in Iraq, everyone believed in God one form or another
Just because they did not tell you they were atheists doesn't mean they were not there. Given the military's biases, they may have elected to remain quiet about their beliefs at the time.

Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
If I come back to another life, of which there is a repeating series, it will be meaningless to me. How do I know that? Simple. I can't remember any of the prior ones, so any future emanation is "me" will not know it was ever me. Unless I am now living the first one, which seems too improbable to even entertain.

Quote:
All of us atheists refused to go, having no taste for murdering civilians and laying their country waste at the whimsical command of opportunistic and profiteering liars. We never even let ourselves be hoodwinked into the armed forces in the first place, because we know what we could be told to do, and it was unacceptable to our moral codes. We all refused to go to Vietnam, too.

As for the hypothetical serial-lives of the OP, those who went to those wars would sure as hell never do it the second time around. Maybe the fact that we keep having wars over and over again is proof that nobody comes back wiser.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-14-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
Quote:
........if you died and found out there and then ,"hey Im still existing,i ainyt dead at all",then understood that you can go back and not just to this planet but any of thye billions that your qualified to enter,lbe it earthly,heavenly or hellish,well no one wants the hellish condition and it would be pretty hard to even get there you'd have to be realy evil for that.

imagine comin back as a kid again and a whole new life to start brand new experiences,foolowing up on old interests,i definitly want to be born with a gibson strapped to me,..I wonder how many lifetimes Bhethoven spent writing music,i mean symphony's at the age of 6,or something,makes you wonder!!!!!

then meating all those new people,and getting back to some old ones too,you could be your father's father next time around,give him a few slaps on the arse,a bit of karma never goes amiss

you know not every ghost story/mediumship/past life regression is lies,and as i said science cant explain everything

so to awnser my question,even though im not atheist, ill emrace it with happiness-its gonna be another adventure ...peace!!!
Depends ... would I have good grammar in this mystical afterlife?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If I come back to another life, of which there is a repeating series, it will be meaningless to me. How do I know that? Simple. I can't remember any of the prior ones, so any future emanation is "me" will not know it was ever me. Unless I am now living the first one, which seems too improbable to even entertain.

All of us atheists refused to go, having no taste for murdering civilians and laying their country waste at the whimsical command of opportunistic and profiteering liars. We never even let ourselves be hoodwinked into the armed forces in the first place, because we know what we could be told to do, and it was unacceptable to our moral codes. We all refused to go to Vietnam, too.

As for the hypothetical serial-lives of the OP, those who went to those wars would sure as hell never do it the second time around. Maybe the fact that we keep having wars over and over again is proof that nobody comes back wiser.
At one time a reincarnation theory was tossed about that the anti-war protestors of the 60's were the next incarnation of those killed in WWII.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
How hard where you looking?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
The way I look at it as an atheist I'm a winner either way. If I die and some creative after life awaits me then fine. But, for you believers it's not so simple, you might waste the life you do have dreaming of an after life. I see this all the time. Pining away in what's to come.

What if the after life doesn't happen? What if I, the atheist is right? The saddest thing is your dreaming effects how you live right now, here in the life you know you have. It's a bit of a shame to me.

Most after lives I hear about are so outstanding and glamours, not really a reflection of reality. I rarely here you die and then you live the same kind of life forever. There is usually some kind of bizarre ritual like reincarnating depending on how well you've already done, heaven or hell depending on how well you've already done, ruling the planets depending on how well you've done, same with new kingdoms, etc.

They all seem to be based on how well you've lived the life you now have. Why not just live well and not think about tomorrow. That way you aren't wasting the biggest point of your prediction. Living the life you have already and living it well. No need to dream about another!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Well that's good since it was basically a religious war between two religious countries in the name of God.

My brother was an atheist and served in the Navy. Not in Iraq though. It can be done, he was patriotic and served his country well.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I personally would be happy if people would just spell plural words like "Atheists" without tossing in a random apostrophe for no effing reason at all other than to annoy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality