Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times

Advertisements

It is an easy superstition to subscribe to. I may mention that my sisters arranged a trip last year and everything went so wrong that they began to talk about it 'not being meant to happen'. A lot of it, mind you, was trying to get 'the best deal' and you get what you pay for, you know.

However, it came off and they throroughly enjoyed it. The moral being, don't give up and don't give in to superstitious fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,146,623 times
Your car has no idea whether you want it go 5 miles or 5000 miles. It can only perform at the limits of its present state of maintainence. Whether it's here or there.
The devil has nothing to do with it. He is too busy feeding the fires to worry about jinxing peoples cars.
The other "somethings or other" would have happened even if you had not planned on any trip.
There are obstacles that pop up in everyones life. If you let them stop you or don't go around or through them, none of us would ever get anywhere.
You have to make plans, take care of problems, tempt so called fate, and live your life.
If we let "it wasn't meant to be" run our lives, America would still consist of the 13 colonies on the eastern seaboard and the British or the Spanish or French would own the rest of the country.
Go for your dreams. But plan in such a way that makes it possible for you to achieve them.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,448,760 times
^^^aww thanks Robhu I will do that

Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,098,612 times
Sometimes it seems as though you are struggling against Fate, but as AREQUIPA says, it's nothing more than superstition (although I'll grant you that it sometimes seems as though a malevolent force is against you!).

Old 05-29-2010, 01:38 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,930,614 times
I had a friend who once fancied a pretty girl, he was too scared to ask her out and never did. After some time he changed his rationale from "never got the guts" to "wasn't meant to be". Are you sure satan is sabotaging your car or is this a way to not have to admit to yourself that maybe you are too lazy to make this trip?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,104,565 times
I once got in a car wreck when I only had one more payment left to go on the car I was driving. It was suggested to me that perhaps something was horribly wrong with the car, and that could be the reason for the wreck.

I also lost a home due to a hurricane a few years ago. Perhaps that was God's way telling me it was time to move. Now, I know I'm hard-headed, but a simple GTFO in a vision or something would have done just fine....or would it

Point is, stuff happens.

Generally speaking, we all live under the same random luck the next person does. Some of us choose not to see any divine intervention in such things.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,628,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
when obstacles get in your way, then maybe it wasn't meant to be?

For example, I have been trying to make a trip down to the south, because I may relocate down there, but everytime I want to make that trip, something comes up or my car starts acting up. Does this mean maybe it wasn't meant to happened, or that maybe the devil is trying to get in the way because I may have success going down there? Anyone ever think like this??

What say u?
Don't worry about the naysayers

I believe in such stuff. Part of it is cultural and sort of ingrained in my upbringing.

The number one thing which drives me NUTS is when I run across someone's stupid dog or cat before going somewhere "very" important. Many a time I have had to go back inside and wait for a better time

Otherwise, some foretelling does happen too. The first thing I do before moving into a new house is to take portraits of God and my late father. They go in first. Then I proceed to pasteurize milk in the new home. It's symbolical. In India, we also bring a cow, but that's not feasible in the West. It can be a legal problem

On the way to the house back in April, all portraits slipped off my hand and my Dad's cracked into 2 pieces. My two hindu friends who were with me immediately raised eyebrows. Yet I proceeded to move in.

Two days later my home got broken in and some ****er stole my macbook and another dell workstation. I was continually harassed by a drug gang and I was almost homeless for a month.

The event with my father's picture was a sign of the things to come.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,104,565 times
This thread is probably a good place for this article.

Observations: People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives

Interesting

Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM

285 posts, read 296,913 times
Some time we think we human have free will absolutely and what we want, we will obtain it certainly
but it is not so and may many of our wishes or wills not come off always. In fact our will is eventual and it does mean our will is under the mighty god's will and permit. There is many events which sometime prevent us reach to our decision and destination.It is like, that event intervene between us and that destination and we can't reach that. We have a poem says : it is not come off what wishes your heart rather it would come off what god wills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality