Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,506,516 times

Advertisements

Oh sure, I'm just not sure what we can do to end it without causing other unforeseen problem. Saving individual kids is obviously a good and fine thing.

And on another post you mentioned Pat Robertson is a lunatic and a bigot. He codes it a bit, but he clearly sees both Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism as "not Christian" as he's referred to "introducing Christianity" to nations that are Catholic or Orthodox. To a weird degree I think I actually developed more respect for even Falwell than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are trying to motivate people to get involved with africa. but america needs people like you right here. america is in trouble and needs motivators.
what?
(& i accidently rep'd +you.)

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I've been having trouble with making Youtube work of late. However Nigeria is a land with a long history of sometimes violent superstitions. Certain tribes would expose twins to the elements (usually killing them, on rare occasions they may have lived or been taken in by someone) because they deemed twins creepy or bad or something.

At first Christianity did a good deal of getting rid of some of these things. Which is not to say Christians did no abuses of their own. Overzealous Christians would sometimes be violent to pagans, and justify the violence based on them having inhumane superstitions, or support imperialism. Still there was some increase in rights for the disabled, twins, etc as well as an increased education. That's when it was more like Anglicans, Catholics, and Methodists.

In modern times Nigeria has a good deal of "African Instituted Churches" like the Church of the Lord Aladura and the general Aladura movements. From what I can tell Aladura is largely Pentecostal. Also Nigeria has at times had what are called "Purification" movements. These usually occur in monotheistic religions, although "State Shinto" could be an example in polytheism, and emphasize purify the religion of "pagan" or "pre-Blankian" elements. One of the leading purification movements in Nigeria occurred among Muslims in the North who sought to purify Nigerian Islam of pre-Islamic or "jahiliyyah" elements. (It's been awhile since I've taken African history so I might be misspelling "jahiliyyah") Relational to this is the jihadist states that arose in nineteenth century Nigeria, particularly the one led by Al-Hajj Umar Tall. Christianity came a bit later to what we now call Nigeria than Islam so it might be expected that a purification movement also arises later. Outside Nigeria notable "purification movements" include the Puritans for Christianity and Wahabbi Islam.

I don't think Nigerians per-se need Christianity or a purification movement to justify killing kids for allegedly being witches, or whatever the video shows, but looking it up Nigerian purification movements do seem to emphasize witch-hunts just as the Puritans themselves did. Although being Pentecostal it also likely has a more emotional/hysteria based aspect. Lastly African churches, being in unhealthy nations, are often concerned with health. They may have the hope that purging "witches" is a kind of health effort. I'm not sure what we can actually do about such matters as Nigeria has many problems besides this, most of them probably larger than this actually, and interference might simply be rejected as a form of neo-colonialism.
Thank you for the history and insight. Yes, the woman largely responsible for this pulls the race card. I wish I would smack her into last year.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,183,253 times
Anyway, Insane. If I had the money, trust me, people out there that needed it would get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality