Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,817 times

Advertisements

Me too. I know it was it was on the news; this oil was extra heavy and about equal to the water's specific density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,577,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Have you done the research?
I've studied the history of religion on my own time. I also own+read copies of the Tao Te Ching, the Analects, the Mencius, the Chinese Book of Songs, a collection of Hadiths, and a book on religions by Huston Smith. I've taken a class on Islam, an anthropology class, and a cultural geography class. I have a degree in history with a minor in geography.

There might be some difficulties, but the idea a person educated in the subject will automatically think as you is the height of arrogance.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,873,943 times
"God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent"

Well.......that's one theory. Another one goes along the lines of "God is mythological"

Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,817 times
The other theory is for people theorizing. I guess we mean that engineers are included.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Have you done the research?
No. Nevertheless, many have & have come to the opposite conclusion you have.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:35 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No. Nevertheless, many have & have come to the opposite conclusion you have.
And you believe them? Are you afraid to do your own research and discover that it's all a huge fraud? Afraid you'll learn things that will shake your faith? Well you should be afraid.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
And you believe them?
There are times where an appeal to authority is valid or at least necessary. No one can be an authority in all things so you may need to believe an expert in a field you are unfamiliar with or at least a consensus of said experts.

Quote:
Are you afraid to do your own research and discover that it's all a huge fraud? Afraid you'll learn things that will shake your faith? Well you should be afraid.
Petty insults and appeals to your own alleged superiority don't prove much.

To view religion as "all a huge fraud" is basically demeaning to human culture and society. Even religions that I don't think are true, like Hinduism, are not "frauds."

The idea learning things could "shake faith" is a bit more valid depending on the faith and depending on the terms. Still for me nothing I actually believed has ever really been shaken by anything I've learned. Things I never really believed, but that might seem required for what I do belief, has perhaps been shaken at times. Reconciling pre-Vatican II encyclicals with what I was taught/believed can at times be tricky, but I don't know which encyclicals are considered infallible. The things on Moses and El here were mildly distressing, but don't really say much about the actual beliefs I ever held. (And I still think are somewhat debatable anyway)

What I've learned of atheism in my decades of reading atheists is that I'm not interested in atheism. People like Asimov made atheism seem like a fun, if rather egocentric, way to live but the "New Atheists" really showed me how truly inhuman and unpleasant atheism is when taken to its logical conclusion.

And I still have a fever so should likely quit.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
And you believe them? Are you afraid to do your own research and discover that it's all a huge fraud? Afraid you'll learn things that will shake your faith? Well you should be afraid.
Whether I believe them is not the issue. The fact they exist is the issue.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That is your opinion. It is not clear to everyone. You are not 100% sure God is man-made.
Superstitions are frivelous actions whose purposes are to change or provide an expected outcome. Superstitions do not work.

su·per·sti·tion (spr-stshn)n.1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
2. a. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
b. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.
c. Idolatry.

This God character fits in there quite easily. I know God doesn't exist. That's clear. That's why I specifically call myself an atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Asimov
I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.
-- Isaac Asimov, in "Free Inquiry", Spring 1982, vol.2 no.2, p. 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
Just to be clear: I am not agnostic. I am an atheist. I don't think there is no God, I know there is no God. I know there is no God the same way I know many other laws in our universe. I know there is no God, and I know most of the world knows that as well, they just won't admit it because there is another thing they know. They know they're going to die. And it freaks them out. So most people don't have the courage to admit there is no god and that they know it. They feel it, they try to suppress, and if you bring it up, they get angry--because it freaks them out because life is filled with tragedy and it's filled with worse than tragedy--the unknown. --Adam Carolla
Source

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM

Asimov seemed to indicate it was partly an emotional thing, which surprises me a bit, and Adam Carolla is well Adam Carolla. He co-hosted The Man Show and is a Community College dropout, not exactly an authority on "the laws in our Universe" or anything.

On other points "magic" is based in the notion that humans can invoke and control supernatural forces. Although some Biblical statements might seem to imply something like that, generally the Bible is quite clear people can not control supernatural forces to do whatever they wish. Nor is God or miracles deemed purely random. 2 c is something that can be open to widened interpretation. From some perspectives the pleasure scientists get from their devices is idolatry or a person keeping their classic car in mint condition is idolatry or watching movies is idolatry.

The first one "An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome" could appear to fit God or religion if you look at it certain way, but doesn't if you look at it another. It depends on how you define "irrational" and "logically related."

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-31-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality