Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,716 times

Advertisements

Jesus’ test for faith. Have you tested your faith?

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Many believers that I speak with state that they have faith in God yet no one has yet stepped up as Jesus indicates above to prove their faith sound and justified.
As a Deist, I would not accept my own paradigm before testing it for soundness and I was rewarded for challenging the Godhead to show itself. It was that or I was going to scrap my view of life and begin anew.
Most believers do not tend to test their faith in their relationship with God in any real way. Many claim a personal relationship without ever having a personal encounter with God.
The ancients are said to have tested their faith and been rewarded, by God helping them do miracles. Moses is a good example of this.
If a man does not test his faith and prove it, then it is just an empty claim.

Have you tested your faith or indeed, should you test it the way Jesus asked?

In any scientific endeavor or claim, it must always be proven.
Should those of faith not have to live by this same rule since most who debate them must?

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play yet believers do not seem to play this way.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Many believers that I speak with state that they have faith in God yet no one has yet stepped up as Jesus indicates above to prove their faith sound and justified.
As a Deist, I would not accept my own paradigm before testing it for soundness and I was rewarded for challenging the Godhead to show itself. It was that or I was going to scrap my view of life and begin anew.
Most believers do not tend to test their faith in their relationship with God in any real way. Many claim a personal relationship without ever having a personal encounter with God.
The ancients are said to have tested their faith and been rewarded, by God helping them do miracles. Moses is a good example of this.
If a man does not test his faith and prove it, then it is just an empty claim.

Have you tested your faith or indeed, should you test it the way Jesus asked?

In any scientific endeavor or claim, it must always be proven.
Should those of faith not have to live by this same rule since most who debate them must?

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play yet believers do not seem to play this way.

Regards
DL
I thought it was funny this post somehow got missed in 2010....I think it would interest this group in 2018.

I agree. If a person has faith on God....is it wishy-washy? Are you filled with doubt actually?
Do you step up and go to the ICU and pray for someone to wake up and be completely healed,
head to toe with no residual issues?
Are you willing to put yourself up to embarrassing ridicule?

I say every single Christian here should (and I never say should) should put their money where their mouth is...THIS is where the rubber hits the pavement...go out and do the works Jesus did.
I was asked why I didn't by my atheist ex....it was a dawning moment...'Yes, why don't I?'
And there was no reason! And that began my healing....maybe 2008, then it really took off
July 2009 when I got Baptized in the Holy Spirit.
I get calls from complete strangers and I'm out the door for them.
You guys do it.

Added: Oh my! I just saw this first lonely original post got over 1600 hits...no one ever commented. Huh.I thought it had just gotten lost.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-27-2018 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 01:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought it was funny this post somehow got missed in 2010....I think it would interest this group in 2018.

I agree. If a person has faith on God....is it wishy-washy? Are you filled with doubt actually?
Do you step up and go to the ICU and pray for someone to wake up and be completely healed,
head to toe with no residual issues?
Are you willing to put yourself up to embarrassing ridicule?

I say every single Christian here should (and I never say should) should put their money where their mouth is...THIS is where the rubber hits the pavement...go out and do the works Jesus did.
I was asked why I didn't by my atheist ex....it was a dawning moment...'Yes, why don't I?'
And there was no reason! And that began my healing....maybe 2008, then it really took off
July 2009 when I got Baptized in the Holy Spirit.
I get calls from complete strangers and I'm out the door for them.
You guys do it.

Added: Oh my! I just saw this first lonely original post got over 1600 hits...no one ever commented. Huh.I thought it had just gotten lost.
There is an easier way to test your 'faith' without even having to go outside your door. Try this....

I bet you my pension he doesn't catch you Miss H

Old 10-28-2018, 06:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Being human, and thus ultimately agnostic, they still can doubt apparent reality and thus have faith the size of a quark, that is all that they need if they think such cronyism gets (or just might get) them immortality.
So whatever else Jesus is reported to have said about faith or demonstrable belief/theology/mythology in their chosen books/documents doesn't matter to them.

But in the story, to round it out on all sides, it also says that Satan tempted Jesus by telling him the supposed literal/metaphorical scripture TRUTH and clear implication (again like in Genesis) and clear implication in the broken mythology that Holy Word of God (Psalms 91:11-12) said a "those who live in God" (implying true and full believers) would not be hurt ever in any way even on the toe by a pebble during a misstep.

Jesus says to Satan: Don't test God!

And says to his followers: You will definitively be hurt, injured, hated, and persecuted because...(not because everyone is by someone, as is the truth)... evil wants to hurt what is good. [which I suppose points then to the obvious implication that it might be assumed that gays, Muslims, and even petty criminals, get hurt, injured, hated, and persecuted because evil might be doing it to hurt what is good].

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-28-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 AM

Rafius, Stupid is what stupid does... and I don't test God.
I also don't think God tests, either....though it may say that in the Bible.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Don't test Jesus, or Allah, nor FSM, nor Vishnu, ... but then how does anybody convert or choose without testing any them?

However, in the Old Testament, there is a story where Yahweh is tested against Ba'al ("Lord" in their language) successfully. And it is assumed that because Ba'al didn't come through while YHWH magically did, Ba'al was either non-existent, weaker, or subservient to Yahweh, or his followers weren't as faithful as YHWH's followers (rather than cheating being suspected, the Ba'al worshipers began beating themselves to put their doubts aside while becoming more subservient/faithful in Ba'al). YHWH's followers proceeded to massacre them during/right-after this supposedly sacred demonstration of good-will. Of course this, if fair, would mean that YHWH is non-existent, weaker, or subservient to whatever story says the opposite occurred, or just to a human or object that does a thing a God didn't come through on.
Perhaps it was more of: Don't test Ba'al.

Test everything, knowing full well that a single test can yield a fluke, and many tests are better. And also know that during a test, SOMETHING WEAK can break. Humans are very fragile.

Wash away your pillars of salt and pillars of sand, test them! Test the Foundations for Flaws. Save yourselves before you wreck yourselves! Test yourselves to sharpen and hone yourselves. Anyway, a liberal belief in God is not that bad as long as it doesn't block other useful and necessary thoughts and doesn't give credence to more dogmatic views (although it technically always would unless actively fighting them).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-28-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 07:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Don't test Jesus, or Allah, nor FSM, nor Vishnu, ... but then how does anybody convert or choose without testing any them?

However, in the Old Testament, there is a story where Yahweh is tested against Ba'al ("Lord" in their language) successfully. And it is assumed that because Ba'al didn't come through while YHWH magically did, Ba'al was either non-existent, weaker, or subservient to Yahweh, or his followers weren't as faithful as YHWH's followers (rather than cheating being suspected, the Ba'al worshipers began beating themselves to put their doubts aside while becoming more subservient/faithful in Ba'al). YHWH's followers proceeded to massacre them during/right-after this supposedly sacred demonstration of good-will. Of course this, if fair, would mean that YHWH is non-existent, weaker, or subservient to whatever story says the opposite occurred, or just to a human or object that does a thing a God didn't come through on.
Perhaps it was more of: Don't test Ba'al.

Test everything, knowing full well that a single test can yield a fluke, and many tests are better. And also know that during a test, SOMETHING WEAK can break. Humans are very fragile.

Wash away your pillars of salt and pillars of sand, test them! Test the Foundations for Flaws. Save yourselves before you wreck yourselves! Test yourselves to sharpen and hone yourselves. Anyway, a liberal belief in God is not that bad as long as it doesn't block other useful and necessary thoughts and doesn't give credence to more dogmatic views (although it technically always would unless actively fighting them).
what? I thought this is about "proving the other guy all wrong" and "making our belief system the only logical, clear choice. at all cost?"

Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Inside or outside the Bible, the Game is the Same. You can 'test' God in some psalms and not 'Test' God in some others. And the Jesusquote on the roof of the Temple referring through Psalms to Numbers and 'Testing' really referring to trying God's patience for complaining when things went wrong was quite out of context as surely both Jesus and Satan would have known, but the writer of the passage (In Q document, as Mark doesn't have it) correctly surmised that his readers would not know that, and today, they still don't.

But all that side, this comes down to the "Trust" (Faith) Game. Which is a simple one that goes like this: Anything good, God getts the credit; anything Bad, man gets the blame.

Here, any time you find a five dollar bill in you pocket that you'd forgotten about, "Praise the Lawd, for the Good Things Which He Hath Dun". While anything that can't be passed off as "Soon, Later, or God says No" (for instance, something really needed and right now), you didn't have enough Faith. Or some other excuse. There are so many of them.

But essentially, any real proof on an individual basis is explained away essentially by the only proof that God will give that will not invalidate faith is the kind of proof that really doesn't prove anything.

It really is the good Ol' circular argument: Religion depends on Faith, and Faith depends on Religion.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Yes. That's always been a good cop-out hasn't it.

Quote:
Yes. It does say say so in the Bible.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
... this comes down to the "Trust" (Faith) Game.
Which is a simple one that goes like this:
Anything good, God gets the credit; anything Bad, man gets the blame.
As I see it...nothing happens good, bad or ugly that I don't create myself...
it's the 'system' that the Creator set up.
I know I say that, 'the Lord paid off my mortgage'...but, it was me that had the continual positive belief
it would "be taken care of"...(I knew not how, didn't care,
left it to Him or the Universe, or His angels, whatever.)

But, it was my deliberate, continual belief that it would be paid off that created it.
Now, the fact that my life is now ruined because I am care giving my sis in my home...is also coming from some unconscious belief system...damn, and here I thought
all the cobwebs were swept outta there!
No blame for the good really, or the bad really...it's all on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality