Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times

Advertisements

I consider myself lucky to have a tkt for an Islamic ceremony of Whirling Dervishes from the Konja region of Turkey. (Sufis)

Anyone seen this religious ceremony or care to share your knowledge/thoughts?

It is my understanding these Islamic worshipers engage in a mystical part of Islam involving peace, kindness, non-violence. They honor God by performing the bodily whirls with certain music, special hand movements, poetry ie Rumi.

Perhaps you have seen pics....men with tall headwear and long (usually white) skirts that twirl as they turn repeatedly in their worshipful ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,098,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I consider myself lucky to have a tkt for an Islamic ceremony of Whirling Dervishes from the Konja region of Turkey. (Sufis)

Anyone seen this religious ceremony or care to share your knowledge/thoughts?

It is my understanding these Islamic worshipers engage in a mystical part of Islam involving peace, kindness, non-violence. They honor God by performing the bodily whirls with certain music, special hand movements, poetry ie Rumi.

Perhaps you have seen pics....men with tall headwear and long (usually white) skirts that twirl as they turn repeatedly in their worshipful ceremony.
When I first accepted Islam it was as a sufi. While I still have much love for the Sufi I found many of their practices to be bidah (forbidden innovations of Islam) and after a year changed to following the Sunni Hanafi Madhab.

Originally Sufi'ism was considered to be a valid Sunni Madhab and it was one of the first 5 madhabs. Many early Islamic scholars and historians were Sufi. One of the greatest Muslim writers. as you mentioned was Rumi a Sufi.

I have seen the whirling dervishes in Morocco and do know several Circassian Sufi Dancers that perform it. While the practice is interesting, it is outside the teachings of Islam. The original Whirling Dirvishes actually only danced once and that dance lasted until they died of exhaustion. they spent their entire life preparing for that one dance which usually was performed shortly after reaching puberty. the practice has long been condemned by most Muslims as being a form of suicide.

However, true Sufi'ism as originally practiced is accepted by some Sunni. they are considered to be the mystical side of Islam by some of us.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Wonderful response, thank you so much. I'll plan to read up on more...

The ceremony was last night...enjoyed the musicians/instruments and a short film on Rumi prior to the Whirling Dervishes... fascinating!

One vocalist had a strong, beautiful voice....sang with no accompaniment....sounded similar to calls for prayer, maybe?

The group was brought to SC by a Turkish-American society for educational purposes...tolerance etc.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wonderful response, thank you so much. I'll plan to read up on more...

The ceremony was last night...enjoyed the musicians/instruments and a short film on Rumi prior to the Whirling Dervishes... fascinating!

One vocalist had a strong, beautiful voice....sang with no accompaniment....sounded similar to calls for prayer, maybe?

The group was brought to SC by a Turkish-American society for educational purposes...tolerance etc.
For the purpose of the Show it is probable the vocalist recited the Athan (call to Prayer) I am assuming that this show was in early evening, near Maghreb Prayer time and the Muezzien (Vocalist) would have most likely called the Maghreb Athan which would sound like this:

The Sufi are quite wonderful. As I said I still have very strong love for all Sufi. Their attitude of non violence is something I find commendable.

The whirling dance is a form of Dhiker (Remembrance) nearly all Muslims practice some form of Dhiker, it is repetitive recitation of things like short prayers or Supplication. Many of us including Sufi do use Dhiker Beads which are similar to the Catholic Rosary Beads. In fact the Rosary beads are patterened after Dhiker beads. Originally the counting of the Rosary prayers were done with a pile of pebbles. St Clair saw Muslims using Dhiker Beads and introduced them as an improvement over a pile of pebbles.

Typically the Sufi carry the Dhiker to a very deep form of meditation and use the Dhiker almost like a mantra. The dervishes use each rotation as a short supplication. The Dancer usually says "Allah-HU" at each rotation. It does become very similar to a Buddhist Chant and the same Trance like state.

Here is Sufi Dhiker recitation in a Mosque

The words are "La ilaha ilallah " (There is no God, but Allah)

Sufi Dhikr with Sheikh Hassan Dyck La ilaha ilallah - YouTube

Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM

The videos are great...
thanks for the Sufi information and comments.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM

The sufi are quite interesting.

to kind of put things in perspective this is what prayer is like in a Sunni Mosque, This is the Morning Fajr prayer. The other 4 obligatory prayers are very similar. the Differences being in the number of times you prostrate, sit and kneel. this is what takes place in a Sunni Mosque. Notice there is no music or dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuk6HgOH9yQ

If you can think of any specific questions about Sufis I still have Sufi friends I keep in contact with and I will gladly ask them and post the answers here.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM

I appreciate your help and responses.

Honestly, don't know enough to ask meaningful questions...but will continue to search & learn...Youtube has some very good excerpts from ceremonies,prayers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The sufi are quite interesting.

to kind of put things in perspective this is what prayer is like in a Sunni Mosque, This is the Morning Fajr prayer. The other 4 obligatory prayers are very similar. the Differences being in the number of times you prostrate, sit and kneel. this is what takes place in a Sunni Mosque. Notice there is no music or dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuk6HgOH9yQ

If you can think of any specific questions about Sufis I still have Sufi friends I keep in contact with and I will gladly ask them and post the answers here.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Looks like the link for Fajr did not embed properly.

Here is another try.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM

This is a Chant or Nasheed called "Allah HU" (My God) it is usually recited all night long during Ramadan on the "Night of Power" Some Sunni especially those from Pakistan do the same. I've taken part several times first as a Sufi and later as a Sunni in a predominately Pakistani Mosque in Austin Texas.

ALLAH HOO ALLAH HOO By SUFI NAEEM SAIFI (SAIFITUBE.COM.PK)

Obviously the person who made and uploaded the Video is a big fan of Sufi Naeem Saifi, it looks like it was done as a tribute to him. Makes me think Sheik Sufi Naeem Saifi passed away. I have not heard any news that he had. But the video does look like it was done as a tribute.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 03-14-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality