Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofreaks View Post
accepting evolution for me meaNs i believe death is the end. i believe in afterlife and that death is never the end.
Why?

A biological death has nothing to do with the spirit.

You're painting yourself into intellectual corners, and limiting your own mental and spiritual potential if you keep holding onto Moderator cut: deleted theories like this.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-07-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
well, science does not present evolution that way. evolution is anti-creation if you forgot. science is anti-God. and that is why atheists are spewing science discoveries on christians.

actually i am pretty sure an accurate explanation is the old strain becomes immune to the current vaccine. and i had said in my earlier post. bacteria and flu evolution does not prove the painstaking billion year process of evolution of man and animals. because they only evolved a diff species but they are still bacteria and flu. if they evolve into entirely diff kind then i might consider.
No it doesn't.

Evolution is the theory of how life changed, after it began. It does not explain how life began, and likely never will.

Thats not how vaccines work, here I'll try to help.

A Virus is in the shape of the letter C. You're body creates a antibody that fits that C, and destroys it. Then, the virus evolves, and changes to a letter in the shape of T. Now the body doesn't have a antibody to fit that, and it has to make a new one.

Thats a very simplified version of how viral evolution, and how the immune system deal with viruses.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 AM

117 posts, read 144,544 times
there is only one beginning of anything. if i accept evolution of man then i also accept the big bang. like i said, scientists like rifle has declared time and time again, in fact rifle declared God can't create complex things like that. between science and God's version of beginning of everything, i chose God's version. if u think i am limiting my mental capability coz i shun evolution, it is ur opinion. i dont know how else i can explain that evolution has not happened in thousands or more recorded yrs. i see no proof of evolution of man and animal happening beyond virus and bacteria evolution. bacteria/virus evolution is not proof of human and animal evolution. whats interesting is how science cant prevent death and other diseases like cancer.

Last edited by evofreaks; 06-07-2010 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
there is only one beginning of anything. if i accept evolution of man then i also accept the big bang. like i said, scientists like rifle has declared time and time again, in fact rifle declared God can't create complex things like that. between science and God's version of beginning of everything, i chose God's version. if u think i am limiting my mental capability coz i shun evolution, it is ur opinion. i dont know how else i can explain that evolution has not happened in thousands or more recorded yrs. i see no proof of evolution of man and animal happening beyond virus and bacteria evolution. bacteria/virus evolution is not proof of human and animal evolution. whats interesting is how science cant prevent death and other diseases like cancer.
You don't have to reject evolution, to accept religion.

You don't have to reject the big bang, to accept religion.

How did the big bang happen? What was here before it? What was the singularity? How did life begin? How did amino acids form together to create the first cellular organism and DNA?

All of these are questions that are not answered by Evolution. There are hypothesis about them, but there are no definitive answers.

Is the Universe expanding, yes. Is it from one central location, as far as we can tell. Can we trace how old the Universe is by its rate of expansion and radioactive decay, yes.

That doesn't mean a creator didn't cause the big bang, now does it?

Is there fossil evidence to show that evolution has taken place, yes. Is there evidence that evolution is happening today, yes. Can we reverse engineer a chicken to develop a dinosaur tail and teeth, yes we can. Have we discovered a chemical that links all mammals to one ancestor with hibernating capabilities, yes. Is it obvious by looking at humanoid fossils to determine that man evolved from apes, probably, not 100% missing link, but with hundreds or thousands of transitional species, its likely we will never have the one clear missing link.

Does any of that mean that life wasn't created in the beginning by a creator of some kind? No.

Look, if you really want to convert people to your religion, you need to understand reality. If you really want to follow in the steps of Jesus, accept reality.

There may very well come a day when science disproves a God, but it hasn't happened yet. Until that happens, your constant purposeful ignorance doesn't help your religion, or others souls. It repels people from your religion, and damns others souls.

Religion is seen as backwards and ignorant, because of stances as you have taken in your thread.

When I tell people that I accept all of what science has proven to us, and still believe in a creator, for the reasons I wrote before here, do you know what they do? Most people just say thats interesting, and it drops it. Some people argue a little, but accept my views, because they can't disprove them, and we move on.

No one makes fun of me. No one calls me an idiot. Only idiots don't accept reality, and proven science in order to satisfy some deep held belief that every word in the bible is right. Its clear that the bible isn't always right, and that many of the oldest stories are just that, stories. They have no basis in reality.

I really hope you open your mind, and your heart.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
i dont go to church anymore or do my catholic chores so my religion is not my basis for my posts. it is my belief in God, not my religion's church. well congrats to you that you accept evolution. i dont because i already stated why. if u dont get it, can u also move on and accept defeat that u cant persuade me to accept evolution unless i see the proof i need?

apparently u see the proof of evolution, i dont. so move on.
Why on earth do you think we want to persuade you? I don't think any of us care one jot that you want to believe in the 2000 + year old camp-fire stories of desert goat herders. Go for it dude...knock yourself out!!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Aaaaaand off he goes, having lost all his marbles in this game.

Yes, and beyond that, they've moved the location to Iran!

Any port in a storm, huh? Meanwhile back at the ol' "OP Ranch".....

Evo, you have tried to suggest that many or all dinosaur fossils are faked, using your biased conclusion that this Ida find was a fake. You provided a link to prove your point, but when we read it we find the scholars simply didn't necessarily find it a possible direct part of the human lineage. They are now working to find out exactly where it correctly belongs, and DNA mapping will be used to that end.

As "proof" of your allegations, you've suggested it's glue in her joints (from your training in radiology no doubt...), which has been shown to likely be just calcium buildup.

Or, even if it was glue, so what? How do you think an archeological find is held together? Possibly with glue? Or bailing wire for that matter? Or steel clips. So if a stainless-steel clip from a modern museum fossil collection shows up in an X-ray of a T-Rex skeleton, that means there was no T-Rex? Tell that to him out on the plains about 100 million years ago. I'm sure he'll be compassionate to your ideas....

Then, you insinuate from this 'discovery' that all fossils are fakes, and that, in the main, science cannot be trusted. Well, not all of it; if it happens to serve your needs, and avoids topics in biology or evolution, then it's OK by you. You even allow as how if Evolution were, in fact, true, it would mean you die when you die, and the fear of no afterlife sustains you against all truth. (Evolution does not necessarily mean no God, evo. It only hints at that...)

And so, you clearly demonstrate Selective Beliefs of Convenience.

Your efforts here are pathetic, frankly, and the best you can do, like a defeated schoolyard bully, is to yell "Oh yeah? Well... well... you guys are all smarty pants then!" and off you stomp.

Well then.... bye now.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM

117 posts, read 144,544 times
this morris guy specifically said there has been none enough study YET for him to declare it really is the ark. they only made it public last april do u honestly think enough scientific tests has been conducted to merit the it is a hoax statement? WTF. this morris guy also concurs that there indeed was global flood not only him and so is earlier civilizations as i read on your linked articles. i also noted that if indeed it is the ark it will mean nothing to both sides with atheists looking for other unproved story of the bible and christians questioning God's punishment of sins.... so the ark proven or hoax, the circling debate continues.... and i will continue to post until i get bored then i come back again if i feel debateful.

if these chinese people have something to hide they will not be inviting other scientists to conduct their own study and observation of the ark. i dont think there are any takers though.

for me though with or without the ark, i shun evolution. if this indeed is the ark, i will just wait and see what atheists and scientists invent this time to fool themselves.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I assume you are old enough to have an account on here, so you are at least 16.

Yes, but it's an honor system. This guy writes like an impassioned but uneducated 15 year old.

Now why would that be, what's wrong with last years vaccine? Ah that would be because the flu virus EVOLVES at a a rapid rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
1. Explain "acquired immunity" in a bacterium to us all, evo.

He did not, or can not.

Again, I repeat:

(BTW, I have tried to describe many aspects of biology to you, politely, but you always take offense, which results in us becoming combative towards you, obviously. When you're presented with hard evidence, you resort to calling us "know-it-alls", "smarty pants" etc. Hey: nice debating strategy!

And again, for dramatic effect...

Grow up, evo!)
Quote:
there is only one beginning of anything. if i accept evolution of man then i also accept the big bang.

Completely unnecessary and errant conflation, but you can't see that.

like i said, scientists like rifle has declared time and time again, in fact rifle declared God can't create complex things like that.

Not what I said. Your reading comprehension is pathologically deficient, evo.

I said that in terms of plausibility, it's impossible for one entity to have "Insta-Poofed" what we now understand to be the entire limitless universe. The bible's authors had no such realization of it's immensity, in fact thinking that the stars were holes in a sheet (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), placed in the heavens by angels. So their versions are of necessity equally limited to their quirky imaginations.

And yet they make sweeping generalizations and over-reaching unsupportable conclusions that modern folk buy into without so much as a single "What?" thought in their gullible heads..

So yup; that's plausible all right.

between science and God's version of beginning of everything, i chose God's version. i dont know how else i can explain that evolution has not happened in thousands or more recorded yrs.

[WRONG]

i see no proof of evolution of man and animal happening beyond virus and bacteria evolution. bacteria/virus evolution is not proof of human and animal evolution.

<br><br>whats interesting is how science cant prevent death and other diseases like cancer.

Simple blunt short answer if I can. We're built on building blocks called cells. [agree? disagree?] When we demonstrate the exact mechanism by which an individual cell can and does alter it's genetic heritage and then pass itt on,as a possible improvement to it's offspring, we've proved how Evolution works.

So a mutation carried in a single codon in my sperm genes creates a better biochemistry on my offspring's eyes let's say, that's called and Evolutionary improvement, and it may well bestow a benefit at the cellular level to my offspring, and they benefit from it. And thus it assists them at the"macro" level as well when they can now hunt later into the encroaching evening darkness.

Too hard for you to understand? The 2008 Lenski study will be written into all the new biology texts because it absolutely proved that a chance mutation could lead to a beneficial capability not previously possible in the original bacteria.

Your desire to redefine "species" notwithstanding, that's what a new species is, evo. AS we now track our own genome over the next few decades, we'll catalog all the changes due to mutation, and the resulting improvements or losses to the human genome.

As well, once we know what each allele does, and we can see, in a survey across literally tens of thousands of people, we'll also see the history of past problems, and we'll eliminate some diseases.

BTW, there's now a suggestion that we DNA-map every new baby from now on. Positive ID, and as well, it will feed this grand storehouse of genetic information, including our personal evolutionary histories.

The following is very well thought out and written, BTW. I could NOt rep you, Memphis, but you deserve it! (It will also go right over the head of this hyper-defensive poster. How sad for him.) [My highlights in red]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You don't have to reject evolution, to accept religion.

You don't have to reject the big bang, to accept religion.

How did the big bang happen? What was here before it? What was the singularity? How did life begin? How did amino acids form together to create the first cellular organism and DNA?

All of these are questions that are not answered by Evolution. There are hypothesis about them, but there are no definitive answers.

Is the Universe expanding, yes. Is it from one central location, as far as we can tell. Can we trace how old the Universe is by its rate of expansion and radioactive decay, yes.

That doesn't mean a creator didn't cause the big bang, now does it?

Is there fossil evidence to show that evolution has taken place, yes. Is there evidence that evolution is happening today, yes. Can we reverse engineer a chicken to develop a dinosaur tail and teeth, yes we can. Have we discovered a chemical that links all mammals to one ancestor with hibernating capabilities, yes. Is it obvious by looking at humanoid fossils to determine that man evolved from apes, probably, not 100% missing link, but with hundreds or thousands of transitional species, its likely we will never have the one clear missing link.

Does any of that mean that life wasn't created in the beginning by a creator of some kind? No.

Look, if you really want to convert people to your religion, you need to understand reality. If you really want to follow in the steps of Jesus, accept reality.

There may very well come a day when science disproves a God, but it hasn't happened yet. Until that happens, your constant purposeful ignorance doesn't help your religion, or others souls. It repels people from your religion, and damns others souls.

Religion is seen as backwards and ignorant, because of stances as you have taken in your thread.

When I tell people that I accept all of what science has proven to us, and still believe in a creator, for the reasons I wrote before here, do you know what they do? Most people just say that's interesting, and it drops it. Some people argue a little, but accept my views, because they can't disprove them, and we move on.

No one makes fun of me. No one calls me an idiot. Only idiots don't accept reality, and proven science in order to satisfy some deep held belief that every word in the bible is right. Its clear that the bible isn't always right, and that many of the oldest stories are just that, stories. They have no basis in reality.

I really hope you open your mind, and your heart.
Praise the Lord, and let's give thanks to Memphis. A clear head prevails.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 06-07-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
i dont go to church anymore or do my catholic chores so my religion is not my basis for my posts. it is my belief in God, not my religion's church. well congrats to you that you accept evolution. i dont because i already stated why. if u dont get it, can u also move on and accept defeat that u cant persuade me to accept evolution unless i see the proof i need?

apparently u see the proof of evolution, i dont. so move on.
Look, I'm trying to give you some advice, while pointing out to others who might be swayed by your willful ignorance, that you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

No, I won't move on, as long as you continue to make statements that have no basis in reality, I will always point that out.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
It's time for this thread to 'move on.'

As in: This one's a wrap, folks.

THREAD CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality