Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So... A bunch of us actually just want to be Hatians or get in on the "homeless person club"
No, examine my post more closely. Is it not more conducive to survival to have the support of your fellows? Empathy and love are chemical reactions in your brain which help to facllitate connections with the people in your group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 PM

63,781 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, right. That explains all the hundreds of humanitarian aid programs, people rushing to disaster stricken areas to help out, homeless shelters, food banks, etc. etc.....It's best to think before you post.
The question asked for the implications . . . nothing else. What possible difference in value would there be in the activities of accidents? Why should any behavior be any more valuable than any other when there is no purpose for any of it.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If it were pure "survival of the fittest" would empathy exist?
Yes. Empathy is the step-child of emotional connection which is itself an evolutionary survival construct. By demonstrating how supportive you are of the morals of the group you prove your social worth. It may seem like a contradiction, but it is not. Social cooperation can lend itself to survival more than competition at times.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
No, examine my post more closely. Is it not more conducive to survival to have the support of your fellows? Empathy and love are chemical reactions in your brain which help to facllitate connections with the people in your group.
For social animals like humans, cooperation and empathy are necessary, as you say, since society would collapse if everyone just looked out for number one.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier
Quote:
For social animals like humans, cooperation and empathy are necessary, as you say, since society would collapse if everyone just looked out for number one.
I disagree, our current technology and global economic system proves otherwise. The large banks & corporations only look out for number 1 and they have grown quite successful because of it.

But it certainly is true that modern technology has made us less emphatic, because technology gives us the impression that we don't need other people.
Or maybe it is because of our overpopulation (which is also enabled because of our technology).

Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Yes. Empathy is the step-child of emotional connection which is itself an evolutionary survival construct. By demonstrating how supportive you are of the morals of the group you prove your social worth. It may seem like a contradiction, but it is not. Social cooperation can lend itself to survival more than competition at times.
Exactly. Although from an evolutionary perspective why do we empathize or cooperate with someone who takes more resources than they can ever put in? For example why allow me, a genetically disordered person, to live? Granted I'm counted as "gifted" intellectually, but so far there's no evidence my intelligence overrides the fact I'm likely a drain on the welfare state. So why bother?

(My parents bothered because they were my parents, but I think religion did play a role)

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
If we humans arose from evolution and there was no guiding divine and omnipotent hand in our creation then this has immense implications for our species. Everything we have created and that we feel is a direct construct upon and is derivative of the basic drive for survival. What does this say about our everyday feelings, proclivities and belief systems?
I've posted on this extensively before. By the fact that 90% of the people that have lived believe in a God...proves that our proclivity to have that "feeling" and "belief system" is the best trait to have...it enhances our ability to survive. If it didn't, we wouldn't have evolved to present so prevalently with that trait.

By this we can determine that the "most fit" of our species present with that trait. The "less fit", "weaker" present with the trait of non-belief.
This proves SCIENTIFICALLY...based on all that cool "evolution", "survival of the fittest", and "natural selection" stuff...Atheists are less fit and weaker than Believers.

ATHEISTS--Convert and improve yourselves!!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Haha, you have a point. People with strong group or emotional attachments do tend to fare better. But, do these things have any basis in fact, or are they chemical and artificial phenomenon?

Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Default And so we advance. Knowledge through chemistry!

You got it! The inevitable perhaps evolution (small "e") of our chemical personalities just happened to create a species with the necessary neuronal biochemistry that supports a "what if...", or "let's question that..." or "if I did this, perhaps things would be more comfortable..." or, most importantly, "I wonder how this works?" mentality.

Now, the other once-predominant sub-species hominid group on this planet, not officially recognized yet, and fading fast, takes the "I don't want to know how this works!" or "someone else can do all my thinking for me" attitude, to their obvious detriment. Having not developed the more useful and functional neural biochemistry, they will eventually go extinct, of course, not being the most adaptable of the two. Like, as science has now shown, the Neanderthals, who unlike dinosaurs, did co-exist with us. We just out-thought them!

It's obvious that few other species even give such curious concepts any time or effort, but the fact that some do, in lesser ways, again shows our human roots & lineage. Great apes making and using tools and permanent nests, Orcas circling herring schools and thus working together to ensure their group survival, dolphins helping to save downed airmen, a insect-eating mammal using a stick to retrieve ants,; all point to cognition and forward thinking.

So, luckily we're creative, imaginative and forward-thinking. And we have learned to write it down, and now, put it all onto the 'net, for all others to see and progress and learn from, cumulatively. The consequences and outcome are then predictable. No God required.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
I've posted on this extensively before. By the fact that 90% of the people that have lived believe in a God...proves that our proclivity to have that "feeling" and "belief system" is the best trait to have...it enhances our ability to survive. If it didn't, we wouldn't have evolved to present so prevalently with that trait.

By this we can determine that the "most fit" of our species present with that trait. The "less fit", "weaker" present with the trait of non-belief.
This proves SCIENTIFICALLY...based on all that cool "evolution", "survival of the fittest", and "natural selection" stuff...Atheists are less fit and weaker than Believers.
Nice witnessing Gldrule, but what does this have to do with the OP? There are plenty of xtian threads that you can say atheists should convert. Atheists aren't weaker or less fit. You're forgetting that belief in gods is also a meme(cultural belief) that has been passed down through many generations and become ingrained in humans. There are also countries(ie Denmark, Sweden, Britain, Japan and Norway) where the majority of the population is secular. If belief were the 'most fit' trait then you would expect these countries to be highly religious. This is not so.

Quote:
GldnRule--Deconvert and improve yourself!!

I live a much better and fulfilled life without the belief in god or religion. People whom have social/emotional support(friends, family, social groups) tend to be happier and more satisfied. This isn't exclusive to religion though. There are many atheist meetups and social networks that atheists are a part of. Also numbers don't equal more truth. Also, it's not religion/god that is the dominant trait, it is the traits of cooperation and empathy that allow people to get along. Secular countries fuction very well, many even better than god fearing America.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 06-06-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality