Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,788 times

Advertisements

Renowned Physicist Shares Thoughts on God, Fatherly Advice in an Interview With ABC's Diane Sawyer:

Stephen Hawking on Religion: 'Science Will Win' - ABC News

Kudos to Mr. Hawking, a true champion of rational thought and reason!

Some excerpts:

"...They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible."

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Renowned Physicist Shares Thoughts on God, Fatherly Advice in an Interview With ABC's Diane Sawyer:

Stephen Hawking on Religion: 'Science Will Win' - ABC News

Kudos to Mr. Hawking, a true champion of rational thought and reason!

Some excerpts:

"...They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible."

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."
The problem is with Hawking and his ilk, is that they assume there is no God. Which if true then he could be right. However....

When Mr. Hawking can prove with evidence that the universe came to be without a creator I might listen. Until then he is just stating his opinion.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-07-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The problem is with Hawking and his ilk, is that they assume there is no God. Which if true then he could be right. However....
Sour grapes, his ilk, you mean one of the most intelligent men that has ever lived, a thinker, a scientist. Yep, sour grapes.

But yes, there is an assumption there is no god, based on an overwhelming lack of any evidence what so ever. It's not an absolute but it's pretty damn close, especially when you look at the eons of man attempting to find something, anything, yet coming up empty.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 06-07-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sour grapes, his ilk, you mean one of the most intelligent men that has ever lived, a thinker, a scientist. Yep, sour grapes.

But yes, there is an assumption there is no god, based on an overwhelming lack of any evidence what so ever. It's not an absolute but it's pretty damn close, especially when you look at the eons of man attempting to find something, anything, yet coming up empty.
Be that as it may, I want proof of his assertion. He said it. I want proof.

BTW being smart doesn't mean you are right. It just means you are smart. Smart people have been wrong. Just look at the history of scientific thought. Sour grapes or not-reality is not concerned with our opinion.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Be that as it may, I want proof of his assertion. He said it. I want proof.
That I spelled out in my first post, the overwhelming lack of any evidence what so ever, is not proof, but the longer people look without finding any evidence, the closer to proof it becomes. Now we know you all are looking, and you all have turned up what? Nada, zilch, zip

Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 PM

117 posts, read 144,489 times
how ironic that science was not able to help/cure his motor neuron disease (ALS).

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
That I spelled out in my first post, the overwhelming lack of any evidence what so ever, is not proof, but the longer people look without finding any evidence, the closer to proof it becomes. Now we know you all are looking, and you all have turned up what? Nada, zilch, zip
Ok, I'll admit that I have had a bit wine tonight, but be that as it may, your post needs some clairification. (it doesn't make sense) Spell it out. In plain English.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Lack of evidence? Go out in the countryside, away from the city, and look up.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Lack of evidence? Go out in the countryside, away from the city, and look up.
\

What do you see when you look at the night sky? I see stars, planets and the occasional meteorite. Evidence of a very old universe.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
\

What do you see when you look at the night sky? I see stars, planets and the occasional meteorite. Evidence of a very old universe.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality