Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,697,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I totally misinterpreted your question. Sorry. To my knowledge, there isn't anything in the Bible about the earth being flat.

I thought by 'they' you meant the scientists of the day and that is what I responding to.

The point I was trying to make is just because the scientists of today say something's true, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.

Also, since I seem to keep getting back in here. I think someone did post something about time. While Creationist's (I'm one of them) seem to throw faith at the questions they can't seem to answer, science just throws time at theirs. The earth is a LOT older than it was when I was in science class. I'm 37. There are a lot of things science can not explain. A LOT.

But you did notice the Earth got older not younger. So it will probably be found out to be even older than the 4.5 Billion years they believe now.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,193,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
This is an idiotic post!

The "7 day theory" doesn't mwan 7 earth days. To God one day is like a million years and a million years is like a day. Time did not begin being tracked on days until later on in creation.

The THEORY OF EVOLUTION has not been proven and a lot of people, including scientists believe in "Intelligent design" and not in evolution, as evolution is so flawed.
I have questioned this one also. I was told God knew day and night and that shows a 24 hour period from moring to night!! So, God knew his days and nights. I have spoken to preachers and others and they believe it was 6 days of creation and one day of rest!!

I have thought maybe our days were different then, God's but he does talk about there was evening and there was moring ,one day. Genesis 1:1-5

Old 04-18-2007, 08:36 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,193,498 times
Quote:
Yes. Is it?
Do you know where this is at in the Bible the world being flat?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,913,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I misunderstood what Nea1 was asking, wildberries, here's what I responded with....
Quote:
I totally misinterpreted your question. Sorry. To my knowledge, there isn't anything in the Bible about the earth being flat.

I thought by 'they' you meant the scientists of the day and that is what I responding to.

The point I was trying to make is just because the scientists of today say something's true, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.

Also, since I seem to keep getting back in here. I think someone did post something about time. While Creationist's (I'm one of them) seem to throw faith at the questions they can't seem to answer, science just throws time at theirs. The earth is a LOT older than it was when I was in science class. I'm 37. There are a lot of things science can not explain. A LOT.
sorry!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
But you did notice the Earth got older not younger. So it will probably be found out to be even older than the 4.5 Billion years they believe now.
Nea, that is EXACTLY my point.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I did find this

http://www.answering-christianity.com/earth_flat.htm

Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
First, saying those verses are saying the earth is flat is just rediculous. honestly, Nea1, I didn't expect you to rely on something like.

Second, that site is Islamic. Are suggesting that you'll take one thing you're not 'sure' of to find fault with another thing you're not 'sure' of? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

I'm sorry but I just don't understand that. My grandmother used to say someone should get off their 'high horse' but I've never even seen a high horse. Was she hallucinating? Or was she making a point using the human language she spoke?

Honestly, I feel like it's wasted time even responding to that....

Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,532,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Things such as DNA is a language code, much too complex to have happened just by chance, and must have been designed. Life tself is much too complex.
The 'language' of DNA is crude and simple. It consists of all of four letters. Complexity is achieved in that these very simple arrays are varied and repeated over very large numbers of iterations. This is exactly the sort of complexity that would result from chance. As if you took four dice and rolled them out say 200 million times. That's what DNA looks like. That's what life looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Likened to a junk yard, and somehow all of the pieces magically coming together to form a new car.
This is a Fred Hoyle variant and it isn't applicable. Assembly of a new car (or a Boeing airplane) is a non-natural process. Only humans can do it. A yeast cell, however, is of the same order of complexity as a Boeing-747, and no one is surprised that yeast cells are regularly assembled by simple natural processes. Part of Hoyle's point of course is to mislead people not familiar with statistics by postulating fantastic a priori odds against natural events occurring by chance. In fact, the occurence of things with fantastic a priori odds against them is so commonplace that we don't even notice them in our daily lives. The mere event that I in particular would write and you in particular would read this particular post would have had fantastic odds against it a week ago. Yet here it is, and there you are...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
First, saying those verses are saying the earth is flat is just rediculous. honestly, Nea1, I didn't expect you to rely on something like.

Second, that site is Islamic. Are suggesting that you'll take one thing you're not 'sure' of to find fault with another thing you're not 'sure' of? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

I'm sorry but I just don't understand that. My grandmother used to say someone should get off their 'high horse' but I've never even seen a high horse. Was she hallucinating? Or was she making a point using the human language she spoke?

Honestly, I feel like it's wasted time even responding to that....
Ok why is it ridiculous? I have found many other sites stating the same thing. And more.

http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/tekton...rth_bible.html
http://fayfreethinkers.com/tracts/flatearth.shtml

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Ok why is it ridiculous? I have found many other sites stating the same thing. And more.

http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/tekton...rth_bible.html
Nea, did the sun rise this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality