Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

As you may notice by my name I am looking for work.
Here is the question that I have I found this on a job posting today. I feel I am being discriminated against because I only speak english. I was born here! I have all qualifications EXCEPT this.

"Candidates who are literate in Spanish will be given preference."
Should be the most qualified REGARDLESS!!!!!

I don't believe in discrimination, fair to all.
I am not going to apply to something I'm not qualified for. For example Director of ___________. I am being realistic!

Last edited by JobSeekerReno; 01-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,729,395 times
If you need to speak spanish, it ain't much of a job.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 AM

unfortunately it is, This has happened several times. mid level type positions. Insurance, hospitals I have applied to. I am a well qualified individual and a good job history. Jobs should go to the best qualified regardless.
I know the worlds not fair.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,190,153 times
No chance the job is one that caters to large numbers of Spanish-speaking people? Sounds like you were turned down for some jobs and are sure it was because preference was given to Spanish speakers. Correct?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,095,596 times
Languages are a skill. Complaining about a job that requires mastery of Spanish when you aren't fluent is like complaining about a job flying 737's when you don't have a pilot's license. The "preference" statement is there simply to weed out non-Spanish speakers so the employers time is not wasted.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,048,864 times
Discrimination against the obese is also unacceptable . . especially bikini wearing pool servers.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,226,700 times
OHHH MANNNNN I cant speak Spanish either......maybe we can get a class action suit goin?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Languages are a skill. Complaining about a job that requires mastery of Spanish when you aren't fluent is like complaining about a job flying 737's when you don't have a pilot's license. The "preference" statement is there simply to weed out non-Spanish speakers so the employers time is not wasted.
I would not apply for a surgeon job either because that is simply not logical.
Companies are limiting their resources by making this statement and yes discriminating.
Not considering experience and not what an individual could bring in. Tough market companies could benefit from a well knowledge employee.
Much better than someone that only knows one task.
Why not look for someone with a background of many. I feel it's a better "value" for them, saves valuable time.
But that is only my opinion for what it's worth.

I know how to handle a angry customer with out escalating to a "supervisor"
A/R, A/P
Excellent organization skills.
Works well with insecure co-workers and bosses.
In short PROFESSIONAL responsible adult.

But I don't speak another language, their loss!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 10,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
While I understand the frustration of the original poster, I agree with this. Are these positions where you'll be dealing with a large Spanish speaker population? In that case, I think it's fair to ask for bilingual candidates, it can be a valuable skill. Good luck in your job search!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,095,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeekerReno View Post
I would not apply for a surgeon job either because that is simply not logical.
Companies are limiting their resources by making this statement and yes discriminating.
Not considering experience and not what an individual could bring in. Tough market companies could benefit from a well knowledge employee.
Much better than someone that only knows one task.
Why not look for someone with a background of many. I feel it's a better "value" for them, saves valuable time.
But that is only my opinion for what it's worth.

I know how to handle a angry customer with out escalating to a "supervisor"
A/R, A/P
Excellent organization skills.
Works well with insecure co-workers and bosses.
In short PROFESSIONAL responsible adult.

But I don't speak another language, their loss!!!
They may be "discriminating" against you, but not unfairly. The meaning of discrimination has changed in the recent past. Everyone discriiminates in their everyday lives - it is a way of making decisions that either benefit us or do not cause harm. It has been twisted into a word that has negative connotations and today if you discriminate - your are EVIIILL!!!

I like blue better than red - I have just discriminated. OK - colors are inanimate attributes. It is wrong to discriminate against people. Do not most people universally think that child molesters and murderers are evil persons. Oh no, you have just discriminated against those people. Oh,that is different, it is politically corect to do so, and morally defensible. Why are some other things not right to discriminate against?

Returning to the topic at hand - these persons seeking Spanish-speaking personnel likely are operating a business that mostly is patronized by Spanish-speakers. If you cannot speak the language - you will not be able to serve the customers effectively. Use your skills to find employment at a place where your langauge skills will be useful. Don't waste time complaining about want ads that want only Spanish speakers.

The CIA is now hiring people who speak Arabic, Pashtu, and Korean. Should I complain because they are discriminating against people who don't speak those languages? NO! Those languages are neccesary to fulfil the job requirements - probally translation. If you cannot converse wfluently with the businesses customers in Spanish, how can you perform the job effectively.

Language is a skill. Learn a second one - and many more doors will open up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area