Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,662 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Soon my bf and I will be moving near the Grove/Peppermill area in Reno. I've heard alot about how bad the area is but can't find much information about what types of crimes are there. We are moving to the only complex we could afford that was okay with our pets, but now I'm getting worried. We've already had a few issues where we live and we hear that area is alot worse.

I was wondering if it is really bad, or if it is just overblown? Is the crime violent or do I have to constantly worry about my apartment being broken into(Which scares me more for my pets than anything else.) Is this a place where people who leave others alone and don't cause trouble will probably be left alone? I have been there a few times and it doesn't seem so bad to me, more just an area lacking in money. But I know that might be different when I live there.
I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,969,393 times
I haven't heard any recent news stories from that area, but it is not one I would choose to live in. It is very low income housing, plenty of drugs, break ins, vandalism in general. I would look at renting a small house around the Renown Medical Ctr / VA Hosp area around Mill and Kietzke.

I haven't lived in the Peppermill area but worked in a small office there a few years ago. We had a constant problem with people who were high/drunk/mentally unstable just walking in thru the front door into the reception area, plopping down in a chair and striking up some odd conversation with the receptionist. It got so bad we had to keep the front door locked and tell our clients to call us when they were at the door. I also know several problems with robberies in neighboring businesses.

Ad this is definitely not an area to go walking around alone at night. Keep you car and apartment doors locked. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM

281 posts, read 644,231 times
Have you been able to visit the area? Only you will know for sure if it suits you and if you feel comfortable. I personally would not live anywhere near the area. I agree with the above poster that you may be able to find something similarly priced around the VA hospital, look for anything off of Wells Avenue. That area is full of older neighborhoods so the prices stay low, but the neighborhood in general is nice and I think probably less crime-ridden. I would stay away from Grove completely. You don't want to leave every morning praying your car didn't get broken into the night before. Closer to the Peppermill is not as bad, if you go west of Virginia it seems to get a little nicer. There are some apartments south of Virginia Lake that you might consider as well. I believe they are pretty reasonably priced but a little nicer neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,662 times
Thanks you guys.I'll look for apartments in those areas and hopefully find some before I have to stay in the area for too long. The one problem I've been having with the few we can afford is that one of our dogs is about 45 pounds and we have such limited rental/credit history to help us.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: