Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM

73 posts, read 97,224 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, first time poster. I'm in the final interview stages with a company headquartered in Reno, and am coming from Edmonton, Alberta. Before we make any final decisions my wife wants me to research a few things.

My kids are 7 and 4 and wife will not be able to work.

1) how are the schools in Reno? My 7 year old is pretty bright and is in an advanced program here in Edmonton.

2) if the public school system sucks, we will go the private route. What are the best private schools in Reno.

3). Are there extra curricular programs for the kids such as swimming lessons? Skating lessons etc?

4) we are Indian (south Asian) but both born and raised in Canada so no accent or anything like that. Will we feel completely out of place? Will we encounter any racism? Are there East Indian people in Reno?

5) places to live? What are the best places there live for a family of 4 like us. Our budget for a home is 500-600k. Ideally we would like to spend less but want to get into an area that's convenient for shopping and great for kids, and ideally where my wife could meet people.

I have heard not so great things about Reno but have heard that things have changed in the last 8-10 years. Any advice/website links/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,206 times
Hi and welcome to Reno (soon).

As a native of Reno, the schools here are ok. With the amount of money in your budget for a home, you need to live in Southwest Reno, South Reno (West of I-580). Schools such as Roy Gomm and Caughlin Ranch come to mind.

If you live west of Virginia street in South Reno, you will get access to Elizabeth Lenz, Ted Hunsburger both top rated schools.

There is the Davidson academy for highly gifted kids also. I attended Catholic elementary. Bishop Manogue is a Catholic private high school I attended years back. It is a located in South Reno. Reno has grown to include non religious private schools. Do your research.

If you do not want to live with a lot of traffic , I would recommend NW Reno, Southwest Reno, Galena area (west of I-580) since they are not building these areas up as fast as South Reno (East of I-580) and the North Valleys, Sparks and Spanish Springs.

As far as racism, I haven't been bothered but you may on a rare occasion pick up on some. Just go about your business because they're just jealous. There are east Indian people here. There is a new Indian restaurant (Bawarchi) in South Reno that is supposedly good (according to our American Indian doctor) . As far as feeling out of place , I felt it growing up but Reno is more diverse than it ever was. You should be fine.

There are swim lessons. Silver Bear does private lessons. The city of sparks has lessons too. We are waiting for an ice rink to be built in South Reno. I hope it comes to fruition because I'd love to take my family for ice skating lessons too.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF View Post
Hi and welcome to Reno (soon).

As a native of Reno, the schools here are ok. With the amount of money in your budget for a home, you need to live in Southwest Reno, South Reno (West of I-580). Schools such as Roy Gomm and Caughlin Ranch come to mind.

If you live west of Virginia street in South Reno, you will get access to Elizabeth Lenz, Ted Hunsburger both top rated schools.

There is the Davidson academy for highly gifted kids also. I attended Catholic elementary. Bishop Manogue is a Catholic private high school I attended years back. It is a located in South Reno. Reno has grown to include non religious private schools. Do your research.

If you do not want to live with a lot of traffic , I would recommend NW Reno, Southwest Reno, Galena area (west of I-580) since they are not building these areas up as fast as South Reno (East of I-580) and the North Valleys, Sparks and Spanish Springs.

As far as racism, I haven't been bothered but you may on a rare occasion pick up on some. Just go about your business because they're just jealous. There are east Indian people here. There is a new Indian restaurant (Bawarchi) in South Reno that is supposedly good (according to our American Indian doctor) . As far as feeling out of place , I felt it growing up but Reno is more diverse than it ever was. You should be fine.

There are swim lessons. Silver Bear does private lessons. The city of sparks has lessons too. We are waiting for an ice rink to be built in South Reno. I hope it comes to fruition because I'd love to take my family for ice skating lessons too.
Thanks so much and really appreciate your reply. We would definitely be in South Reno as that is near the office anyway (near meadowood mall circle). As for swimming lessons they are both in private swim classes now so that's awesome that they have that there as well! When I look for homes on Zillow etc. what areas or names of neighborhoods should I be looking into?

Also is there an area that has a lot of younger families in the southwest, don't want to be in an area with a bunch of older people. We are in our mod 30s and kids are 7 and 4.

Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:55 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Bishop Manogue and Sage Ridge are 2 best private schools.

You should get your kids tested for Davidson Academy. It is one of the best schools in the country and tuition is free for Nevadan. Davidson Academy Admissions - Qualification Criteria

RENO is pretty diverse nowadays. I saw lots of East Asian and South Asian about. I know many Indian doctors in Reno.

Since you are working near Meadowood mall, I think Damonte Ranch or Arrowcreek is best. Damonte Ranch is in your price range and has lots of young families.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 PM

340 posts, read 664,655 times
Close to the mall would include Lakeridge Springs, Evans Ridge, Villagio -- of those, Lakeridge would have the most kids and they have their own pool and playground to boot. The kids in those neighborhoods attend Huffaker elementary.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the input!. So i have read here that southwest is where to be , but Damonte Ranch is east of the freeway isn't it?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigu View Post
Thanks for the input!. So i have read here that southwest is where to be , but Damonte Ranch is east of the freeway isn't it?
Southwest Reno is quite pricey and the gated communities like Arrowcreek and Lakeridge are at the top of your budget and higher. Damonte schools are still very good and more affordable.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 PM

102 posts, read 189,657 times
I agree about Bishop Manogue and Sage Ridge or consider homeschooling. I lived in the Lakeridge area - lots of college kids have chosen that area to waste mommy and daddy's money. It's getting very busy - we couldn't ever cross the street to walk our dogs - nearly run down more than a dozen times. McCarran is getting worse and worse with traffic. We saw a lot of increased crime and home invasions in the lakeridge area. It's also overpriced in my view. I've liven in Nevada for 10 years - Montana and parts of CA also. Reno isn't really worth it to me. I'm only here because of ill family. If you don't have any special needs or special medical care - I guess Reno can suffice. It's growing rapidly. The schools are some of the worse in the nation. Gangs are on the rise. It's a 24/7 town - you can kinda escape that but don't think Damonte ranch will take you out of the ghetto. People from nasty parts of CA have moved here and degraded the culture. I'm much more fond of Carson, Dayton, heck, even Elko, but that's just me. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 30,968 times
If you can afford it, Truckee California is a wonderful place to live. Close commute to Reno.

But check out the tax implications on that first. Hopefully you don't pay taxes twice.

Last edited by NinaLovesCliff; 06-17-2017 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 08:13 PM

340 posts, read 664,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
I lived in the Lakeridge area - lots of college kids have chosen that area to waste mommy and daddy's money. It's getting very busy - we couldn't ever cross the street to walk our dogs - nearly run down more than a dozen times.
You must be referring to Lakeridge apartments, not the Lakeridge Springs community I mentioned. I've lived in Lakeridge Springs and didn't see any college kids -- it was mostly young families with kids, as well as some retirees. Traffic on Ridgeview isn't at all heavy, and there's no need to cross if living east of Ridgeview (which is where most of the homes are).

Lots of folks living in Reno love it here. I have seen your numerous posts filled with hate for Reno and hope you can find your way to a happier place. Meanwhile, for the newcomers seeking advice about Reno, I recommend that you take this poster's comments with a grain of salt and read what others have to say -- better yet, come for a visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area