Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM

85 posts, read 132,919 times

Advertisements

We came to Reno first, it is a desolate wasteland!

Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 PM

783 posts, read 836,291 times
LOL!

Are you referring to the semi-arid, high-desert valley or the city itself?

Old 07-12-2020, 09:48 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable8484 View Post
We came to Reno first, it is a desolate wasteland!
An amusing comment given you lived in Phoenix and considered moving to Henderson and Kingman.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:09 PM

7,059 posts, read 4,506,701 times
Sable, obviously you have never been here. It’s beautiful and amazing.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
But our traffic lights change twice as fast as Reno lights do.....

Not really any traffic jams in Carson.

Also, don't try to commit crimes here, you will most likely get caught pretty fast....

I think we have better city leadership from our board of supervisors, to law enforcement, school board, just a really nice low key and professional group that loves this city. Some of our leadership gives us their home phone number and email to contact them with any concerns.

The city is almost built out...no massive sprawl like Reno, yet we have every retail store you could need within a few minutes drive around town. If your an animal lover, Carson is the most dog friendly city ever, tons of trails around town to hike with your pet and our animal shelter is 'no kill'.

We have only one high school, so everyone grows up together and roots for each other.

Carson is just a special little town. If your younger and single, Reno is definitely more of a party town though...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
As to behaving in Carson, lol, I heartily agree. I say without reservation that the Carsin City Sherriff's are the #1 top Sherriff's Dept in the state. These deputies are an exceptional crew. None better.

I actually like it here and I'm a lifelong very rural Nevadan. I've only been in Carson 4 years. Came fro. Yerington due to medical reasons and needed to be closer to my doctors.

Its not to big but not to small and in an hour and change I can be back home visiting my son and his family in Y Town. They can have Reno. Way to metro for me. And I could care less about party atmosphere.

Reno and Vegas ,especially Vegas, are not representative of real NV any more and haven't been for a long time. California can have them both. Well trade them for all the N CA counties like Lassen, Alpine, Shasta, Plumas, Sierra, Modoc et al.

I've actually become quite fond of Carson over these last years. It's a change in lifestyle for me but its been a positive one. I have a relationship with a wonderful lady that I actually met in 1992 while working at a mine outside of Hawthorne who's been here for 20 years now.

We became heavily involved around 7 years ago now and here we are. Carson has everything we need and much more. I will say that Reno does have better hospitals for certain types of care. But the team of doctors I have here now are outstanding so that type of care I haven't and hopefully wont need again.

There are some very good restaurants here that Reno might match but doesnt beat and theres plenty to do. I don't get bored. Theres a hidden park near where I live that's a well kept secret we love to go hang out at, I'm into archery and the bow range is ten minutes away, there are all manner of shops, stores and such that have everything I might need or want and I'm quite content here.

It fits like a glove.

Last edited by Yac; 10-28-2020 at 01:08 AM..

Old 06-25-2023, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 24,588 times
Default Areas to avoid in Carson City when buying a home

"There are a few neighborhoods I would avoid living in...

Here is a link to CrimeMapping for Carson City-we have fantastic city leadership and services and this is a helpful resource:

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/nv/carsoncity"

Thank you for the url! Could you name the areas to avoid, or give a geographic/street name reference?

We will be looking online for a house/townhouse/condo in Carson City, before contacting a real estate agent, and hope to eliminate some areas in advance, based on recommendations from this site.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:15 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Nevada has more pets per person than other states. Nevadans love their pets which is a good thing.
I always find these claims interesting ever since I lived in Arizona and heard "they had the most boats per capita" over and over again. Turns out in actual boat ownership they are about dead last. But since they register every type of water craft and not just boats this urban legend got started (even though it's STILL not true).

I'd be curious if "Nevada has most pets per capita" is passed around in Nevada like Arizona's "boats" were.

According to this survey, Nevada is actually pretty far down the list on pets per capita...

https://www.ourquadcities.com/news/w...0owning%20cats.

This is not to say that their might not be something to support the claim either.

It's funny, for a long time here in Oklahoma it got around that our largest county (Osage) was "the biggest county in the country by land area". Again, pre internet. Osage county isn't even in the top 100 counties in the country, but I heard it over and over in those years.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:31 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Any info similiar to above on crime and traffic but in Dayton, and Fernley?

Old 06-28-2023, 04:30 PM

7,059 posts, read 4,506,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I always find these claims interesting ever since I lived in Arizona and heard "they had the most boats per capita" over and over again. Turns out in actual boat ownership they are about dead last. But since they register every type of water craft and not just boats this urban legend got started (even though it's STILL not true).

I'd be curious if "Nevada has most pets per capita" is passed around in Nevada like Arizona's "boats" were.

According to this survey, Nevada is actually pretty far down the list on pets per capita...

https://www.ourquadcities.com/news/w...0owning%20cats.

This is not to say that their might not be something to support the claim either.

It's funny, for a long time here in Oklahoma it got around that our largest county (Osage) was "the biggest county in the country by land area". Again, pre internet. Osage county isn't even in the top 100 counties in the country, but I heard it over and over in those years.
When I volunteered at the local humane society this was part of the president’s speech so I just assumed he was correct. Obviously not ((:.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:53 AM

8,936 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Very interesting thread to us, since we will be, later, looking at both Reno and Carson City to move to. Made somewhat of a mistake moving to Henderson a few weeks ago, but that was another thread (now closed).

Actually, after doing some online research of both Reno and Carson City, ChrisMT gave us some excellent info about both, "thanks" to anyone who did reply to us. It's really beginning to look like that Carson City is going to override Reno. We need a smaller area than Henderson is. That's just a fact for us now. We have all of our winter clothes, including winter parka's, from when we lived 28 miles south of Denver and in northern Colorado.

However, before a year is up, we will drive to both Reno and Carson City to do some "checking them out", but Carson City is looking better and better for us as older (mid 70's) seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area