Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2022, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 7,904 times

Advertisements

just curious we are thinking of moving from Las Vegas to Reno, is it absolutely necessary to have a four wheel drive vehicle for the winters? would we need snow tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 04:01 PM

7,059 posts, read 4,506,701 times
I have lived in Reno for 25 years and just have all weather tires. I think I’m all this time we have had maybe 4-5 real winters. Now if you are driving up to Tahoe daily then that’s different.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:07 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have lived in Reno for 25 years and just have all weather tires. I think I’m all this time we have had maybe 4-5 real winters. Now if you are driving up to Tahoe daily then that’s different.
aLL seasons tires mud n snow? Front wheel drive, AWD, or rear wheel drive?

Old 07-10-2022, 07:30 PM

783 posts, read 836,291 times
You can get by just fine with a FWD and all-season tires. You can even make it with a RWD and all-season tires, but I slid around plenty with that combo back in the day All-season tires are more practical than snow tires, we only used those with an old RWD truck my son had to drive up to Tahoe for work...whoooeeee he had some fun with that combo lol...

AWD or 4WD is nice to have, but some SUV's are slippery even with that...you need good tires, good driving, decent road clearing/sanding and a reliable car and you can get by. Sometimes certain highways and routes will put in chains or AWD/4WD with snow tires (all-season is fine) required, so if you really want to avoid chaining up at times you can look into AWD eventually...

Old 07-10-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
You can get by just fine with a FWD and all-season tires. You can even make it with a RWD and all-season tires, but I slid around plenty with that combo back in the day All-season tires are more practical than snow tires, we only used those with an old RWD truck my son had to drive up to Tahoe for work...whoooeeee he had some fun with that combo lol...

AWD or 4WD is nice to have, but some SUV's are slippery even with that...you need good tires, good driving, decent road clearing/sanding and a reliable car and you can get by. Sometimes certain highways and routes will put in chains or AWD/4WD with snow tires (all-season is fine) required, so if you really want to avoid chaining up at times you can look into AWD eventually...
Better put the Corvette and the muscle cars away for dry days only. No snow.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:22 AM

7,059 posts, read 4,506,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
aLL seasons tires mud n snow? Front wheel drive, AWD, or rear wheel drive?
I currently drive a 2008 Toyota Corolla and have always had small cars and never owned a SUV. It doesn’t snow much in the valley and it’s sunny most days so even if it does it melts quickly. Most days my winter coat is a sweater. I have lived in Wisconsin and upstate New York where they have real winters. From what I have heard Reno used to get much more snow 50 years ago.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I currently drive a 2008 Toyota Corolla and have always had small cars and never owned a SUV. It doesn’t snow much in the valley and it’s sunny most days so even if it does it melts quickly. Most days my winter coat is a sweater. I have lived in Wisconsin and upstate New York where they have real winters. From what I have heard Reno used to get much more snow 50 years ago.
I see I am considering a new 2022/2023 Toyota Corolla hatch back with 6 spd. manual transmission but will not do any business until this micro chip problem is over because the dealerships are taking advantage of consumers by big mark-up.

I don't want an SUV.
The weather is changing everywhere nowadays with less water and less snow so it isn't like the snow in Michigan, Idaho, Montana or Wyoming as far as Reno/Carson City and Dayton areas go. I believe the weather won't be as adverse like those states I mentioned above.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 7,904 times
thank you ALL, we currently have a SUV with 4 wheel drive capabilities, and a front driving car so it seems both will work
you all ROCK

Old 07-11-2022, 11:07 AM

783 posts, read 836,291 times
Perfect!

You just need to add all-season tires before winter, drive slow and your good

Last edited by ChrisMT; 07-11-2022 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area