Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,354 times

Advertisements

i,m an international student scholarships from Qatar and i coming to Reno to study at the University of Nevada Reno when i finish Institute Language program it university,, in the beginning, I was confused between Reno or Portland, but in the last i chosen Reno I hope my choise is better. Is Reno the best or Portland to study and prepare the student in the Language Institute and later at the university and wich one easy at study Portland state university or university of nevada Reno

I want from you some information about Reno Is it safe city or crime,and how about the markets and malls, Down Town and the restaurants its close to the university and the street from the university or near Down Town at night is safe or no

the University they told me that housing is available to have a student near the university name campus but i prefer in beginning of study language in; Institute of language that I live with an American family for 9 months to 1 year and later if i joined the University I live in a student campus I hope you can help me when you dont no problem i stay in student campus and I think that I preferred study in Reno despite the presence of Qatari and arabian gulf students in Portland, , but I chose Reno i dont no why but i love it i see somes pictures and i think its good for taken a language before study in university i think better i stay away from friends and arabs because i want to learn and I think I would be the only student man from Qatar it university of nevada reno, sorry for poor English when in the waiting your help and your advice with regard to the school and the university is excellent and is easy or hard for study, as well as in families that is found near the University of nevada like homestay for international student

how about the weather i bring with me clothes for cold or for hot i coming to Reno in first month in 2010 and tell me i can buy a good clothes from Reno also and what the best bank in Reno for student and i hope the bank near university and down town , the last think for the transport i Reno city between university and down town and home should i buy a car or there some bus or train tell me its difficult to life without car in Reno or its normal because that the second time i visit usa the first time i was 2 or 3 age hhhhhh too yong baby but now im 25 age

what the street name for university of nevada reno name and street number because i send my documents and papers today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,791,146 times
Hmm...well I don't know what you're into. But, I'll admit I would've chosen Portland. It is an awesome, vibrant city. However, I still love Reno. And UNR, is a better University than Portland State. You're english is great, and congratulations on getting into this program. It is a great opportunity to see another part of the world.

The University is near downtown, which is pretty safe and has good nightlife. The part closer to the river is more for locals; and there is also a big indoor walkway with a lot of restaurants and nightclubs geared mainly for tourists(as tourism is a big industry for Reno), but it can be fun. If you live at the University you don't need a car, although it would be nice to have. Weather here gets pretty hot in the summer, and cold in the winter so bring both haha.

Good luck, hopefully this helped a little.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Hmm...well I don't know what you're into. But, I'll admit I would've chosen Portland. It is an awesome, vibrant city. However, I still love Reno. And UNR, is a better University than Portland State. You're english is great, and congratulations on getting into this program. It is a great opportunity to see another part of the world.

The University is near downtown, which is pretty safe and has good nightlife. The part closer to the river is more for locals; and there is also a big indoor walkway with a lot of restaurants and nightclubs geared mainly for tourists(as tourism is a big industry for Reno), but it can be fun. If you live at the University you don't need a car, although it would be nice to have. Weather here gets pretty hot in the summer, and cold in the winter so bring both haha.

Good luck, hopefully this helped a little.
thnx alot my friend for give me some advice .. i wait now for accept in university because i send my paper today ,, and i wait for another advices from other person keep going

Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 AM

plz help me what is more safe city Reno or Portland and what is easy for study university of nevada reno or portland state university and what is better Institute of language at university of nevada reno or portland state university ,,, and when you know a good faimly homestay to stay with him in Reno near university hlp me

Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,791,146 times
Portland is probably slightly safer, but they are both very safe. I wouldn't worry about that. Im not sure about the institute of language, but the University of Nevada is a better school than Portland State. However, Portland is a much more cosmopolitan city if thats what youre looking for.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone looking to host a student right now.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM

I am very happy to answer the questions, my friend .. and hope to hear some answer from the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area