Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:03 AM

232 posts, read 541,073 times

Advertisements

How long have you lived there? And did the landlord SAY the fireplace wasn't safe or not to be used? Or was it just your opinion that it wasn't safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:08 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,145,811 times
I understand your concern and the problem with a child who because of reasons beyond their control has an accident here and there.

The problem is this imo.

If the fireplace meets local safety codes the LL will probably hold you responsible for the burns in the carpet. A screen or not overloading might have prevented the logs from rolling out on the carpet.

Soiled carpet in every room goes beyond normal wear and tear. And unfortunately urine soaks through to the padding and wood underneath.
It may go beyond just replacing the carpet. It may require cleaning and sealing the wood flooring to get rid of the odor.

I wouldn't spend any money on having the carpet cleaned. That is a temporary fix that wont eliminate the odor in the long run and I'm sure the LL is aware of that.
Hopefully, the LL will have some compassion and give you some slack under the circumstances.
If he/she is a hardnosed business person, you might be looking at paying out whatever a court decides is above normal wear and tear to get his/her property in the same condition it was in when you took occupancy.
Those are just the facts of life of renting and most LL's are in it for the business of making money and will take advantage of any law that protects their legal rights.
I imagine if you were a LL you would do the same. That would be your right.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,133,044 times
Do you know how old the carpeting is? I am not sure how it is in New Jersey but in California, a landlord can only charge for the useful life left in the carpeting. If, for example, the carpeting is 15 years old, it has reached its useful life anyway and a tenant should not be charged for its damage.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 AM

15 posts, read 25,555 times
Having a clean carpet is more than just healthy. It can also prolong the life of the carpet. If you have just installed the carpet, you already realize the expense involved in doing so. But, even if you have not just done this, you probably realize the benefits of keeping your carpet clean. It will add value to the home if it is well maintained. It will help to keep the home odor free as well.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,376,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post

Soiled carpet in every room goes beyond normal wear and tear. And unfortunately urine soaks through to the padding and wood underneath.
It may go beyond just replacing the carpet. It may require cleaning and sealing the wood flooring to get rid of the odor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Do you know how old the carpeting is? I am not sure how it is in New Jersey but in California, a landlord can only charge for the useful life left in the carpeting. If, for example, the carpeting is 15 years old, it has reached its useful life anyway and a tenant should not be charged for its damage.

These.

As a landlord, with carpet as you described, I would likely have no choice but to tear out the entire carpet, so the wood underneath can be treated, and the carpet and pad can be replaced. That would cost several thousand dollars. However, the length of time you lived there and the age of the carpeting when you moved in would dictate how much of that would be your expense. If you lived there 6 months and it was brand new carpet, it would almost all be your expense. If you lived there 5+ years or if the carpet was old when you moved in, only the treatment of the subfloor would be your expense. Somewhere in the middle would be prorated.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 PM

93 posts, read 683,968 times
To replace just the burnt area woud be almost impossible. Where would you find matchig carpet? Carpet changes style and colors constantly. Even if you could find the same carpet, unless it is the same dye lot it would not match. I've installed carpet for 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting