Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times

Advertisements

There are numerous other options that many people don't consider in situations like this. Check and see if he has an outstanding warrant for his arrest. If so then notify the police department. Does he smoke marijuana like some people do? If so then ask the police to search your apartment with a drug sniffing dog. Take him to small claims court for the damage to the apartment and non paid rent. When you win your case you can have his wages garnished, as you know where he works. Cable TV is not vital for human survival, so let the cable TV company disconnect the unpaid service. It is amazing how many people will move back home with mommy and daddy just so they can watch their cable TV. Take pictures of the filthy room he occupies as you may need proof later of how bad it has become. Disconnect the air conditioner at the source. There is no law that says you have to provide that luxury service. Also realise that the deadbeat tenant probably does not know his rights and evicting him may be easier than you think. Start by sending him a formal typewritten (preferably notarised)letter by certified mail to leave the premises within three days for non payment of rent. Dont provide any options such as paying a late charge or making installment payments. He may be intimidated by the notice and leave. In really drastic situations you can put all his belongings in a storage unit (rented in your and his name), change the door locks, when he calls the police you then claim that he left voluntarily two days ago and handed you back the keys; deny changing the door locks. All mail should be marked "return to sender" do not hold it for him or forward it. Make his departure easier by providing him with the locations of two or three homeless shelters. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Default great respond

Probably you could go as far on taking out the door of his room. Say that you are re-painting or fixing the door. Also, you could start painting the rented room and making it a mess. But please give you the room attendant a written notice a save the originals. Make the hell of a noise with power tools when he/she is sleeping. Do limit his/her freedom to his room you could even do not have to provide him with hot water. Take pictures of the room and any damage he/she has done. Ask hi/her a copy of hi/her ID or drivers license (if this person is a carrier criminal, have a criminal back ground, or had any lawsuit on his record he/she is going to get very nervous.) You do not have to be nice to this person who is taking advantage from you. You could feel bad but lookout for number one (you and yourself.) Let us know how is the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
your gonna need the lawyer but befor you do that you can lock up the food take your tv back and keep YOUR towels and other items you need locked up .. you do NOT have to share anything .. I learned the hard way with my own family that I couldnt just boot them out because they had lived there longer than 30 days . I did NOT have to supply the bum with nice stuff and was allowed to lock him out of all my things .. he had a room and a bed.. no tv.. no food in my house or anything that would normally be shared .. like a referidge.. yup I locked him out of all that .. a sleeping room is just that .. NO KITCHEN/house privaliges either .. no phone on my dime no cable hook up in that room and no computer usage or access . ( block or shut off the wireless router .. ). and yes I did go out of my way to drive him out .. music drumming and other sleep annoying things in the middle of the day .. sleepng got in the way of his looking for a job daytimes.. he could walk the streets all night partying so .. I figured he could spend his days job hunting or moving out .. and we did talk mean in front of his door .. I had to use a lawyer to get him out but untill he left he KNEW he wasnt welcome in my house .. ..
btw .. call in the cops with a drug dog and tell them your worried the tenant is keeping stuff in the house .. ( thats what started my problems the kid was using grrr) they can search his room and he cant do anything about it ..
YOUR rights are sorta limited but no one says you have to allow him to intimadate or abuse your house/family
you got a copy of the ad? post it on his door and tell him it does not include house privialges and tell him to confine himself to his room and the front door. then lock everything up that he is not allowed to use ..
do NOT leave your house unattended either ..
playing nice with losers like this guy is a waste of time and effort .. unfortunatilly the courts give scum like this "rights" and make sure they know them .. just dont cross the line and do something you can get arrested for ..
it might be your house but .........
good luck ..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Since the OP was over 2 yrs ago, I'm sure the situation was resolved.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
I recently had a situation where I am the renter of the property with the landlord, and I took in a roommate, who is not on the lease and someone who needs to move on with his life. However, he is trying to free load off of me, with stories that the check is in the mail, it's coming kind of lie. well. I locked him out, he called the police,
they came and banged on the door, I chose to not answer it. I learned once you allow the police to get involved that is exactly what they will do.they listened to my roommates assumptions, and made they're threats to me, since I chose to not answer my door, which is my right. They made their assumptions, my roommate voiced to them. As they were leaving I heard something being removed from the window, the roommate was advised my a police officer to break into the apartment, and go in that way. Once I recognized this, I called the police officer, who made the suggestion, who confirmed yes, I told him to break in, because he had legal documentation, stating that he lives here, and I asked what was that? He stated a drivers license, but I stated to the officer just because you have a drivers license does not constitute a legal form of id in my eyes, but realistically that is the truth. My roommate has used my address but is not on the lease, how do I get rid of him?

gentleman may have a drivers license with this address, but he is not on the lease, which I thought was more of a definite id, than a drivers license. Neither here or there, the person knows he is not welcome here, and will be basically homeless once again, once he moves from here. Neither here or there, what can I do, to move this situation to a closing?

Last edited by yaegerjj; 09-18-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaegerjj [I
... how do I get rid of him? ... what can I do, to move this situation to a closing?[/i]
Suggest you seek proper legal advice. As you found out, you cannot arbitrarily lock someone out but have to go through legal channels once they've established residency.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I had a rental property and had to evict a bumb and his bumb wife. He ended up call the cops on me because I thought he had left, (gone for a week) after his move out date..but he did not. The cops were very nice...but hired a lawyer...about 125 dollars first visit...you have to go through the process or the law will get you....

Read up on it online...tough break, but that's life...don't get emotional about it...just do it legal and avoide any down the road problems...
Did this occur in Pinellas county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting