Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times

Advertisements

Bedbugs are almost impossible to get rid of. Google the topic; most exterminators will not even provide a guarantee that they can get rid of them; all of the chemicals that used to be used to kill them are now off the market. I had a friend in NY whose apartment was infested by another apartment. The building was finally closed for months to deal with the problem. Your problem is, if you don't get rid of them, the place in uninhabitable for anyone else to rent. Even if the tenants hadn't bought a used mattress, anyone can bring them home from any hotel. Check out bedbugregistry.com to see how many hotels have dealt with this problem. Those damn things are everywhere and are very efficient about hiking a ride in your suitcase to a new destination. Do whatever you need to do to get rid of them; but yes, it is costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
You might TRY killing them yourself first.I stayed in someones guest room that had them.
It took me a few weeks to realize what was biting me and causing itching.
Lifted the mattress and killed them all.Never got bitten after that.
That was my experience anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
You might TRY killing them yourself first.I stayed in someones guest room that had them.
It took me a few weeks to realize what was biting me and causing itching.
Lifted the mattress and killed them all.Never got bitten after that.
That was my experience anyway.
Bedbugs just don't live in the mattresses, they live everywhere. Plus, they can go for at least a year without a meal.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Bedbugs just don't live in the mattresses, they live everywhere. Plus, they can go for at least a year without a meal.
I guess i was lucky they were located in a small area and hadnt spread.
They can be really hard to spot but i didnt find after that.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 AM

317 posts, read 496,360 times
I know Wal-Mart sells a "Black Flag" spray that specifically treats bed bugs. The one for bed bugs comes in a purple can. But I've never had bed bugs so I don't know how effective it is. Maybe someone else here might know.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Stuff in a can can doesn't work on bedbugs, and they spread rapidly. They'e extremely hard to get rid of, if it can even be done. With an infestation, sometimes the place has to be tented, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on the pest control company.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
As others have said, bed bugs are really hard to get rid of. They live everywhere and come back again and again. This is absolutely a tenant expense, so if you decide to pay for it, it would be a personal decision, not a business one, as a favor to otherwise good tenants, and I would agree that increasing their rent accordingly would be more than fair.

I agree with the person who asked the question "how many treatments does the $700 cover?" Is that for until the problem is resolved? Because that could honestly be a year or more.

I would be tempted to tell them to call the person they got the mattress from and threaten a lawsuit for knowingly spreading an infestation.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM

I would be tempted to tell them to call the person they got the mattress from and threaten a lawsuit for knowingly spreading an infestation.[/quote]

The sellers almost had to know it was infested,unless it was in storage..
Or something.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
The question is, who should pay to have the bedbugs exterminated. The tenant brought the bugs in, let them pay to get rid of them. When the lease is up, I would plan to get them exterminated then. Plan to have to clean and exterminate when the place is emt]pty. It is much easier.
The LL is not responsible at all to help a tenant correct a problem the tenant caused. However, when they move, since you know they have bedbugs now, plan to exterminate them when the unit is empty.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The question is, who should pay to have the bedbugs exterminated. The tenant brought the bugs in, let them pay to get rid of them. When the lease is up, I would plan to get them exterminated then. Plan to have to clean and exterminate when the place is emt]pty. It is much easier.
The LL is not responsible at all to help a tenant correct a problem the tenant caused. However, when they move, since you know they have bedbugs now, plan to exterminate them when the unit is empty.
The only problem with that is that it could require several months of vacancy for a full extermination, plus the cost of the extermination itself. Since the tenant is living paycheck to paycheck, they aren't going to be able to come up with the money to pay for that, and their deposit wouldn't be enough to cover it. So the LL is going to eat not only the extermination costs, but the lost rent as well.

It might be less expensive for the LL to deal with the problem now. The tenant is going to have inconvenience either way. Either they live with the bedbugs for the rest of their tenancy or they put up with the extermination procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting