Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 AM

188 posts, read 938,599 times

Advertisements

Did you look at your original lease? What I've seen is that 60 days is usually the norm on a Year to Year lease, for a month to month lease it's exactly that month to month with a 30 day notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 AM

166 posts, read 443,064 times
$50 a year in rent raises this economy, especially when there are so many vacancies is greedy. I'd find another apartment, sometimes you can find a landlord that appreciates a long term tenant and they would rather have a good long term renter more money. Try a basement apartment, or a MIL, stay away from those mass units. The owners care about nothing but money, and they will find the cheapest way to keep them running.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
$50 a year in rent raises this economy, especially when there are so many vacancies is greedy. I'd find another apartment, sometimes you can find a landlord that appreciates a long term tenant and they would rather have a good long term renter more money. Try a basement apartment, or a MIL, stay away from those mass units. The owners care about nothing but money, and they will find the cheapest way to keep them running.
I agree, now would you tell that to the tax man and the insurance man, they didn't get the memo!!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I believe you will find that under MN landlord tenant laws you are required to give 30 days notice to your landlord if you are on a month to month agreement. As far as the stove is concerned, unless it doesn't work it's not an issue you can legally pursue with any expectation of a result which would satisfy you. The fact that it takes a few seconds for one of the burners to light isn't a legal issue.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I guess I'm stupid.... the front right burner took a year and a day to turn on, the maintenance guy from the complex looked at it, said fixed... It wasn't.

Went to Home Depot and bought a new one, problem solved.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM

84 posts, read 440,758 times
First, see what your contract says about breaking a lease early. If you are unsure about it or unhappy with the terms, then talk to your landlord about it, and if you've been the perfect tenant and he is a decent person, maybe you could work something out. That's what we did with our landlord after we bought a home and had to move out early.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
They didn't say there was a $50 a year increase. They said that if they want to go month to month without resigning a term of lease, there is a $50 increase. We do the same thing. It is an incentive for the tenant to plan ahead. If they want to have more flexibility and leave us up in the air with not knowing when the unit might become vacant, there is a premium on that. $50 is actually pretty normal for the price range mentioned, at least in my area.

And as for vacancies, that is very area specific, as well as specific to types of rentals. Apartments in my area have a normal amount of vacancies right now, but we have all duplexes and single family houses and we have had way fewer vacancies than usual over the last 6 months. Almost everything has been rerented before the prior tenant has vacated, so we just have a couple days of downtime to clean and repair. So rents are actually up a bit here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting