Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you allow the installation of an antenna on your property's roof?
No, absolutely not, for aesthetic reasons 2 10.00%
No, absolutely not, but for other reasons 10 50.00%
Yes, as long as it was small (under 40 inches) 2 10.00%
Yes, as long as it is under medium sized (under 100 inches) 1 5.00%
Yes, as long as it is not long (under 200 inches) 0 0%
Yes, whatever my properties' roof will accomodate, I'm in! 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times

Advertisements

Are you asking whether people who are tenants would be upset if a landlord puts an antenna on the building? It's his building. If he wants to he can. If I am upset by it (I don't know, maybe it's a great big thing with guy wires that whistle in the wind?) then I can leave when my lease is up.

Or are you asking whether landlords would be upset if a tenant puts up an antenna? As far as I am concerned, anything attached to the building needs my approval. Even something that is supposedly "not permanent" can cause damage. A good landlord would have some flexibility. Every lease I've ever seen has provisions about attaching antennas, usually expressly forbidding them, or at a minimum requiring prior written approval.

I doubt very much whether a passage in an FCC regulation permitting people to modify their landlords' buildings would hold up in court, especially since the FCC is an agency to regulate and promote communications, NOT an agency to regulate tenant/landlord relationships (most of those regulations would be under state control, anyway). If I had a tenant that pulled out an FCC regulation as justification for drilling holes and mounting something to the roof of my building after I told them not to, I would probably invite them to consider it their 60 day notice to vacate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
FWIW, this thread originated more than 8 years ago. Keep that in mind if you're responding to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
land lord can not say no but his rules on how and the area they can be put can make it impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Easier than it sounds but this is a very common thing to have, especially for Asians and Latinos, TV Sport junkies etc.
So confused.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
If you're a renter it isn't your roof.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 AM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Unfortunately, ham radios bleed through TV's & Stereos.
depends . cb may but ham today has such a wide choice in frequencies that it has areas that will not .

i ran uhf and vhf for years with never a problem and technically there should not be one

Old 10-04-2018, 08:57 AM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
It's not relevant what the landlord thinks. You can have an antennae pursuant to FTC regulations.
the laws pertain to only areas under the tenants control .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the rule apply to residents of rental property?
A: Yes. Effective January 22, 1999, renters may install antennas within their leasehold, which means inside the dwelling or on outdoor areas that are part of the tenant's leased space and which are under the exclusive use or control of the tenant. Typically, for apartments, these areas include balconies, balcony railings, and terraces. For rented single family homes or manufactured homes which sit on rented property, these areas include the home itself and patios, yards, gardens or other similar areas. If renters do not have access to these outside areas, the tenant may install the antenna inside the rental unit. Renters are not required to obtain the consent of the landlord prior to installing an antenna in these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof or the exterior walls of an apartment building. Generally, balconies or patios that are shared with other people or are accessible from other units are not considered to be exclusive use areas.

Q: Are there restrictions that can be placed on residents of rental property?
A: Yes. A restriction necessary to prevent damage to leased property may be reasonable. For example, tenants could be prohibited from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof. However, a restriction designed to prevent ordinary wear and tear (e.g., marks, scratches, and minor damage to carpets, walls and draperies) would likely not be reasonable provided the antenna is installed wholly within the antenna user's own exclusive use area. In addition, rental property is subject to the same protection and exceptions to the rule as owned property. Thus, a landlord may impose other types of restrictions that do not impair installation, maintenance or use under the rule. The landlord may also impose restrictions necessary for safety or historic preservation.

Q: If I live in a condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as "common," do these rules apply to me?
A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings, but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use.
Drilling through an exterior wall, e.g. to run the cable from the patio into the unit, is generally not within the protection of the rule because the exterior wall is generally a common element. You may wish to check with your retailer or installer for advice on how to install the antenna without drilling a hole. Alternatively, your landlord or association may grant permission for you to drill such a hole. The Commission's rules generally do not cover installations if you drill through a common element.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting