Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 AM

453 posts, read 410,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, your point was that you didn’t feel cleaning your bathroom several times a week was necessary. Who doesn’t clean their bathroom at least 3-4 times a week? Mold or not that’s nasty.
I’ve never met someone who cleans there bathroom 3-4 times a week. We clean both bathrooms once, maybe twice a week if we have guests. Maybe it’s different for someone who’s home all day.

Mold needing to be cleaned 2+x per week just to be held in check isn’t normal. Period. I don’t care where you live. That’s indicative of an underlying issue, not cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I have the same issue in my bathtub. I bought mold and mildew cleaners with bleach but they don't seem to get the black mildew stains out of the caulking. Reading this thread and another one about this situation it seems a lot of people suggest stripping the old caulk and applying new caulking. However, my caulking feels solid. Feels like it would be very hard to remove even with a razor. Would it be okay to just apply a new layer of caulking over the old one?
I replace caulking in my house every two or three years. Here, caulk molding just normal, unless you thoroughly wipe down and thoroughly dry your shower after every shower. Scrape and pull, toss, put alcohol on a rag, rub it down, apply new caulk, smooth with your finger or a tool. Let dry for 24 hours.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Part of the problem in this bathroom I believe is that there is no ventilation. No exhaust fan and the only window was at one time painted shut. I may just have to talk to him regarding the ventilation issue. It's not like regular caulk where you'd have to "pick it out", it's just a rubberised caulk strip laid down and presumably dampness has been able to get behind the strip in a couple of places.

When I owned my own places (for over 30 years) I've never had any mildew issues either, so it's nothing to do with cleaning etc - as I said, ventilation or lack of it may be the issue here.
You are not required to have a vent fan if there is a working window.
As long as the window is being opened when a person is showering and left open to air out it should provide adequate ventilation.

What helps is to squeegee the walls of excess water.

Do NOT take the advice of withholding rent. This is not a habitability issue.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM

268 posts, read 272,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I have the same issue in my bathtub. I bought mold and mildew cleaners with bleach but they don't seem to get the black mildew stains out of the caulking. Reading this thread and another one about this situation it seems a lot of people suggest stripping the old caulk and applying new caulking. However, my caulking feels solid. Feels like it would be very hard to remove even with a razor. Would it be okay to just apply a new layer of caulking over the old one?
New caulking will not stick to old caulking. Once you get it started, the old stuff usually comes right out in a long strip.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I replace caulking in my house every two or three years. Here, caulk molding just normal, unless you thoroughly wipe down and thoroughly dry your shower after every shower. Scrape and pull, toss, put alcohol on a rag, rub it down, apply new caulk, smooth with your finger or a tool. Let dry for 24 hours.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:43 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
.........I took a look at it and it seems to be that rubberised caulking strip you can buy at HD et al. Is this something I should ask the LL to fix or do you think I'd be okay pulling it off and disinfecting the area and laying down a new caulking strip myself?
How tidy is your work? Do you have any experience with caulking? It is tricky to get a neat job.

Mold and mildew in bathrooms are caused by a lack of cleaning ( barring roof and plumbing leaks). However, if this caulk was black before your daughter moved in, mildew can stain caulk. There might not be any mikdew, just old stains.

If you do decide to do this repair yourself, use caulk made specifically for bathrooms. You can buy mildew resistant caulk.

Then, once there is new caulk, your daughter is going to have to clean more often.

I recomend a squeegee for the shower to dry the shower walls after each shower. It just takes seconds and really cuts down on scrubbing time needed.

Run the bathroom fan to remove bath steam.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
I’ve never met someone who cleans there bathroom 3-4 times a week. We clean both bathrooms once, maybe twice a week if we have guests. Maybe it’s different for someone who’s home all day.

Mold needing to be cleaned 2+x per week just to be held in check isn’t normal. Period. I don’t care where you live. That’s indicative of an underlying issue, not cleaning.
That’s disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting