Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM

302 posts, read 885,449 times

Advertisements

I am in conflict with my old apartment complex. They say I owe them about $200 in damages...I say, I know I left that apartment in great shape. The only thing I can agree with is that my tub needed a better cleaning. Other than that, I left it well within the legal "normal wear and tear". The biggest issue is the carpet. They say it had stains all over it and had to be treated for foul odor. I was there after it was cleaned by me and sat a day. I walked in to check it out one more time. No stains, no odors, nothing.

Their evidence is this: 5 pictures. only 3 of the carpet, 2 of which were the entry way. All I can see in one is the extremely vague outline of what COULD be a shoeprint. In some dirt. So, something easily picked up with a steamcleaner. There is nothing of the rest of the carpet in the apartment, nothing of the kitchen (which they are also charging for), nothing of anything else they are charging for. Nothing that shows why there is an odor, nothing that shows bad stains, etc. And their "proof" that it is my actual apartment? A piece of paper with the apt number written on it, put in the pictures. No date, nothing.

I was originally told the carpet cleaning was due to massive pet odor and stains (NEVER had a pet, never even had an animal in the apt). This was read off the paper that came with my statement. Then, after I informed them I never had a pet, I was told the odor was "not necessarily a pet, just really bad".

No, I don't have pictures myself. I'm kicking myself for not taking them, but this is my situation now. All I have is a lack of evidence, really. There is nothing linking me to a pet (pet odor and stains), since I don't have one. I think their claims are completely bogus, especially because by whose standards does "normal wear and tear" go by? I'm not sure how to get them on this.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Are they withholding a portion of your security deposit to cover the alleged damages? If they are then file in small claims court against them for illegal withholding. If they don't have your money but are charging you for the alleged damages then don't pay them and let them take YOU to small claims court. By the way, apart from their photographic "proof" they also need to include in their demand itemized deductions and receipts. Check the Texas landlord/tenant laws too. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting