Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

171 posts, read 444,488 times

Advertisements

Also, I would plainly state that you need the $1500 in order to find a new place to live--whether that is the case or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 PM

49 posts, read 172,541 times
Thanks all. I talked to many people today (his lender, city attorney, county assessors, etc) and they said I have to pay my rent even though the ll is not fulfilling his end. When and if the house forecloses the bank will see that I was up to date with my rent and give me 90 days to move. They will also contribute at least $2500 to use towards moving if I leave the house clean and in good condition. So, either way I won't worry anymore. K-A-R-M-A gets you when you least expect it. This landlord has many rentals and just because he lost 60% value he has to screw me? Thanks again for your feedback

Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Your Security Deposit

Your landlord can require a security deposit; it must be kept in a federally insured account in (your state), separate from the landlord's own funds. You, as tenant, must request the return of the money in writing within six months after your lease is ended. Tenant should provide landlord with a forwarding address or new address where deposit is to be mailed. The landlord must return it, with a written explanation of any deduction for damages or rent owing, within 30 days after your written request. If you do not request a refund in writing, the landlord may keep your money once the six months is up. ...........

From The Bar Association

Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
Are renters still able to get cash for keys if the house was sold.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Wink Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
did you ever think that the ll is going for for a loan mod and stopped paying on purpose..? you don't own the home so no you don't get any key money... your first thought is greed, how terrible... and as for the ll not making the payments.. until the bank actually forecloses, he still owns the house and can sue you for rent whether he makes the payments or not.
LOL...not quite sure where you got your info but you are way off base on most of this... OP...call the Attorney firm on the Foreclosure Notice and talk w/them. They will probably either offer you a new lease when yours is up or offer 'Cash for Keys'...ask them and don't hesitate. We did and walked away w/$2,500.00 for 'Cash for Keys' thanks to our loser LL...
Koale

Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 855 times
I rented a room in a house 2 months ago and a couple of days ago, just after i paid the rent, the house caught fire and now is unhabitable. The house is managed by a property management firm. I ;ve been kept in the dark about what is going on. Also I paid my rent to another renter of the property. she is leasing the property. does that limit my options in this matter? Could I get cash for keys?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randysrolls View Post
I rented a room in a house 2 months ago and a couple of days ago, just after i paid the rent, the house caught fire and now is unhabitable. The house is managed by a property management firm. I ;ve been kept in the dark about what is going on. Also I paid my rent to another renter of the property. she is leasing the property. does that limit my options in this matter? Could I get cash for keys?
A) did you have renters ins?

B) did you have legal lease with the person you were paying rent to?

C) did the actual landlord (property management company) know you were living there?

D) you're being kept in the dark because the answer to A-C is probably no.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
You may also be kept in the dark because no one else is sure what is going on. It usually takes a few days to a week or more to get the report from the fire inspector, then the insurance company gets involved and so on and so forth.

If you were subleasing the room, you will most likely not receive anything unless the person you rented the room from wants to give you money. Your options are very limited here, if there are any to begin with. I hope you had renter's insurance. If not, please use this as a lesson and carry it from now on.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Cash for keys is when the LL wants you to move out, but you don't legally have to. Say you still have 6 months left on a one-year lease, and the LL wants to move back into the house now. You don't legally have to move, so he offers you a cash incentive to make it worth moving early.

This is not your situation. You obviously are owed back the rent you paid for something that no longer exists.

If you dont' have a written contract, your contract is month-to-month. So, they just need to give you 30 days notice to end the contract. However, if the place has burned down, I think the courts wouldn't hold them to 30 days written notice. It would be obvious that the contract was terminated.

As far as damage to your stuff, that's why you need renter's insurance. I would be surprised if you could get any money from your LL for any damages.

Your contract is between you and the other tenant, not between you and the management company. So, you have no rights against them.

If you got a written contract with the tenant you rented from, read it. If they used a standard contract, it will say they aren't responsible in case of fire, and that the contract terminates if the place is destroyed, etc.

Good luck to you. And, as suggested above, if you don't have renters insurance, get some. Mine is through Geico. I have a low deductible and it covers a hotel if I get displaced, and even then it's only $25/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting