Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times

Advertisements

We moved in a house 1year and 2 months ago.The landlord is really a nice guy but he is to nice.When we moved in there were 2 elderly people living beside us.But they had to move for health reasons in oct. so they told us there 18 year old granddaughter was moving in to the trailer because they own it but not the land our landlord owns it.So the girl moves in and then when all her water pipes break she moves back out til spring then she moved in again.She seem to be nice then she let her dad move in and he sells drugs out of the home and buys beer for all her friends who are underage.He throws things and cusses my dog all hours of the night and day (he don't work).So I had enough and I started commenting to his friends and him when they would grab my fence and shake it and cuss my dog or throw things at him.So the daddy who has sticky fingers that don't work but can buy 2 trucks ans 2 motorcycles in a matter of 2 months is doing something to make money.They burn tires and trash beside my home about 10 feet away.
Then I had had enough this grown man was beating the heck out of a boy beside my fence as the daughter and her girlfriend watched.So I did step in and told the man to stop hitting that boy.Then his daughter starts cussing me and her dad attacks my husband and her girlfriend comes after my 16 year old daughter with a knife.I called the cops and landlord.The landlord shows in and tells us we need to get alone.Then he has the cops to make the daddy leave the property.But he returns the next day.We put up heavy duty black plastic to keep the peace.Then this weekend she throws 2 parties with beer and drugs And they cut a hole in my fence and throw beer cans in my yard.So I call the cops he comes out and tells me there is nothing he can do i need to talk to my landlord.So I go talk to him and he tells me well I can go talk to her but she will know you told me.?????????the cop told me it is his place to fix the problem and for me to take her to small claims court to replace my fence.My landlord want stand up to these people.We have already had one car window broken by these people.How can I get my landlord to help me with these troublemaker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Have you talked to him about it at all? Maybe he is unaware. Most of the time landlords don't want total trash living in their rental properties.

If he doesn't respond, I would make real good notes and get pictures. I would use it to go to court to get out of the lease. You shouldn't have to live in a place where you are being harassed and feel unsafe.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Contact the drug & alcohol division of the police department, these are minors involved, its not making sense to me why their backs are turned to the problem? Burning rubbish in backyards isn't permitted in many jurisdictions?

Under certain circumstances leases can be broken without penalty, meaning the loss of security deposit monies. As an LL his responsibility doesn't stop with general maintanence requests and rent collection. Forcing his hand may mean threatening to terminate the lease in writing and demanding complete refund of your SD.

Realistically though, he may not have any more success than you in resolving the issues and impossible for him to make claims with the police department he hasn't directly witnessed. As the previous poster has recommended, document what you can (photos). Typically, security deposits are not refunded for early termination, however, under these circumstances theres good reason. You can attempt to negotiate with the LL for the security deposit refund without going to court, get any agreement in writing, date & signature and amount of deposit that will be refunded.

You also have the choice of going before a judge, depending on your state, could include moving expenses as well. Good Luck.

Last edited by virgode; 07-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times
Are you calling the police or 911? It is illegal to give minors alcohol, and you need to call it in to 911 so there is recorded proof you called. That is the only time I have ever seen cops do there job, because big brother is watching.

And why is your dog outside all hours of the ngiht? Your dog should not be outside for long periods of time unless you are out there with him.

Start writing down license plate numbers of these suspected drug buyers. Get a video camera and record them if possible.

Your landlord is not going to help you. It sounds as if he is afraid - you said he told you, "they will know you told me." He apparently thinks that will put you in danger. Which it most likely will if you're dealing with drug dealers. Inform your LL you are moving out, you expect the deposit back, if he says you're not getting it, inform him you will see him in court. Make sure you have records of all the incidents. Even if it is not official police record, make sure you have dates, times, what happended, and what you did in response to the incident, and what the outcome was.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
My advice is different. Move out IMMEDIATELY, pack up, put your stuff in storage, stay in a cheap hotel that allows pets until you can find another suitable place. Nothing good can come from living at a property where the landlord does not care what is going on and with people next door who beat children, throw things at an innocent dog, produce knives in an argument, sell drugs (who KNOWS the wierdos that go in and outta there), and destroy your property.

Just get out, even if you have to break the lease, and if he wants you to PAY for breaking it, then make a list of items they done to you (broken car window), and put down the cost, and tell him THAT'S his payment. Or if you really want the war over, pay him WHATEVER. Move on, forget it all, it's not worth it, and probably nothing you do will change the situation. Just be glad you didn't BUY the house you're in, and then get nutcases next door. MOVE TODAY, just do it. You'll thank me later when you find out some awful thing in the paper about that street.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times
My dog stays outside because he is a watch dog and my whole yard is fenced in but they seem to can't stay away from the fence.It is just a mess and I have called the cops but they never come to this side of the country.I have lived here a year and 2 months and only seen cops come through here three times.I have told the cops they are underage drinking and drugs but they never show up.I don't see why I should have to move I was here way before they were.I just can't understand people anymore.The landlord knows the dad because he rented a different home to him when we frist moved in here and the dad got kicked out because he owed the ll 4 months rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting