Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 117,304 times

Advertisements

I applied for and was approved for an apartment a week ago. The apartment move in date isn't until the first of August. I have been trying to get the apartment manager to prepare the lease for me to sign, but they said they have been busy and have not had a chance to fill out the paperwork. They also said that it is not a problem if I sign the lease at the time of move in. Is there any risk of waiting to sign the lease until time of move in. I have already put down a security deposit which is supposed to guarantee me the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I signed my lease Day I moved in. No problem!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I signed my lease Day I moved in. No problem!
Thanks for the info.

I guess I am just feeling a bit anxious about it since the apartment is out of town. However, I did fill out the application and see the apartment complex in person. I was hoping that I would have been able to sign the lease in person while I was there.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
With LL around here they dont like people signing leases to far in advance. Cause you have to pay extra rent. At least thats what they told me. And your 1 up on me I didnt have the money for deposit....talk about pins & needles LOL

Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
As a LL and property management owner we always have a tenant sign a lease a.s.a.p. which is for both sides the best way to have a lease secured.

We make the security deposit non refundable until the tenant moves in and at that time the security deposit becomes refundable.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
As a LL and property management owner we always have a tenant sign a lease a.s.a.p. which is for both sides the best way to have a lease secured.

We make the security deposit non refundable until the tenant moves in and at that time the security deposit becomes refundable.
That makes sense. I wonder why the property management is being slow to prepare the lease in my case.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 PM

73 posts, read 586,559 times
I'm in the same situation and it makes me a bit nervous too, but I did pay a deposit to hold the apartment, plus they sent me a document listing my new address, utility info, and move-in fees that will be due when I sign the lease and pick up the keys. I think you'll be fine, but I definitely understand the feeling of wanting to have it finalized and signed sooner rather than later!

If you want to make it feel more "official" you can keep in contact with the landlord about things like how to transfer utilities into your name, any property info you need to know for your rental insurance (if you have it), forwarding address, etc. I was in a limbo state before but feel better now that I have all the move-in info and checklist from the landlord.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janamc View Post
I'm in the same situation and it makes me a bit nervous too, but I did pay a deposit to hold the apartment, plus they sent me a document listing my new address, utility info, and move-in fees that will be due when I sign the lease and pick up the keys. I think you'll be fine, but I definitely understand the feeling of wanting to have it finalized and signed sooner rather than later!

If you want to make it feel more "official" you can keep in contact with the landlord about things like how to transfer utilities into your name, any property info you need to know for your rental insurance (if you have it), forwarding address, etc. I was in a limbo state before but feel better now that I have all the move-in info and checklist from the landlord.
I did receive some documents, such as a list of move-in fees, etc when I submitted the application in person. Also, from the language in the application, it sounds like I am guaranteed the apartment.

I'm probably just being overly paranoid in this situation.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Did you get a receipt for your security deposit?

I rented to a couple similar to your situation. They wanted the place and gave me $1600 certified check to hold the place for 2 weeks till they could move in. I gave them a receipt with the understanding that if they don't move in, the deposit belongs to me. They signed the lease the morning of their move-in date and I gave them the key (after taking the first months rent in certified funds of course)

If you didn't get a receipt for your deposit, I would ask for one ASAP.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Did you get a receipt for your security deposit?

I rented to a couple similar to your situation. They wanted the place and gave me $1600 certified check to hold the place for 2 weeks till they could move in. I gave them a receipt with the understanding that if they don't move in, the deposit belongs to me. They signed the lease the morning of their move-in date and I gave them the key (after taking the first months rent in certified funds of course)

If you didn't get a receipt for your deposit, I would ask for one ASAP.
I did receive a receipt, as well as an itemized list that breaks down what I owe upon move in.

Also, I paid with credit card, rather than check or money order, so that makes me feel a little more secure in case anything goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting