Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 AM

171 posts, read 442,888 times

Advertisements

Also, as much of an advocate for being your own boss as I am, you may need to look for a second job that improves your cash flow. You're young. You're probably healthy. Go swallow some pride and take any part-time, supplemental gig you can for a few months and bank all of it.

BTW? I'm almost 40 and starting over after a divorce. If I have to give up my new car and replace it with a beater to pay my rent or buy a prepaid Trackphone instead of paying for iPhone every month or go work at McDonalds on weekends to make ends meet if I have a slow period so my son doesn't suffer? I'm there. I'd love a gym membership, BTW, but it was one of the first things to go when I understood my situation was changing. If I can add it back in when I move? Fantastic. But if not, I can go run on the track with my sister, pick up some inexpensive hand-weights, swim in a local lake, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 AM

171 posts, read 442,888 times
One more unsolicited tip: For the broken AC. Cool yourself manually. Wet bandanas and freeze. Tie around your wrists while driving. Wear a hat and stick an icepack inside. Wear as little as possible while driving. (You can always dart in and change quickly near your destination if you have a business meeting.) Large cold icewater. Stay hydrated.

I'm totally serious. I do have good A in my car, but have a neurological disorder that has rendered me so severely heat intolerant that it might as well be broken.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,475,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
I find it very insulting and rude for some posters on here to make comments along the lines of 'deadbeat' and 'Im always on time for my rent, why cant you".

I have read several threads and its always seem the tenant gets the most flack from people. I dont know if its because this section is run by landlords or what.

I always pay my rent, however...There are times I am up to a week late. Why? Because, right after I pay my rent...I spend the following week paying all the bills. For example, my rent is due on the 1st. Then I have 2 cell phone bills (1 personal, the other for business), gym membership (not an option), advertising fees (I am an independent contracter), grocery bill, electricty, insurance, gas for car, and water bill. All these are due before the 10th! I spend the 1st and 2nd weeks of the month paying that. And then, after that, I have only 2 more weeks to pay my rent. So unless I have a really good 2 weeks in sales prior to the 1st, I am frustrated about being on time for rent.

So what ends up happening is, I am on time one month, and late the next. Then on time, then late. This has been going on the past 7 months. I feel like Im trapped as I dont have any money to do anything leisure. And then my car needs a new A/C and Im driving in the middle of July in 100 degree heat sweating my ass off because I spent it all on rent and bills

So, would appreciate a bit of a break. If anyone has some solutions or alternatives to renting alone as a 22 year old, I would be happy to recieve them. But dont come on here calling me a deadbeat, because I work hard and I strive to pay my rent on time, yet these large apartment complexes with lots of tenants want to drive you to the poor house for being a bit late.

And btw...non of my other bills work that way (contrary to what someone stated). My insurance bill allows 2 weeks, my electric can wait up to a month, and my water as well. They dont start tacking on ridiculous late fees because its late. Personally, I really wish rent wasn't due the same day every month. the end of the month tends to be a slow time business wise...and it doesn't even pick up til the 2nd week.
Rather than complaining about landlords you need to work on living within your means and several good suggestions have been offered to help you achieve this goal. To repeat, ditch the gym membership and work up a sweat on the streets or in the park. You can cut down on your water and electric bills by conserving energy. Change out the light bulbs to energy saving alternatives, unplug appliances such as TV when you're not using them, take "sailor" showers and don't flush the toilet after a quick pee (if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" Likewise don't let the water keep running as you brush your teeth - the faucet is to turn it on and off as needed ...

If you don't know how to cook and you overspend on prepackaged single portion meals, learn how to put together a simple inexpensive meal. Freeze the leftovers for other meals. If you can't realistically afford to live on your own then get into a shared living situation or move into a smaller place.

And you could always get a second job for a few hours each night as a waitperson or something similar. The base pay isn't much but the tips can be pretty awesome!

Hope these suggestions are of some help and that you can wrap your mind around to trying at least some of them.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,181,361 times
You should learn to manage your money and start to build yourself a budget now before you really get in some deep s.

For living expenses you should have three months of rent & bills in the bank. If you do not have that, work on it by being smarter with your money. First thing is use this calculator:
Budget Calculator - YouCanDealWithIt

See how much you are over budget. Then make a list of stuff you have as bills and see what you can totally cut out or reduce.

How I would list it:
•rent is due on the 1st - paid not late, non-negotiable
•2 cell phone bills (1 personal, the other for business)- drop the personal one until savings are made
•gym membership (not an option) - sorry dude, but this is an optional luxury you can not afford right now. adult life lesson: you don't get what you want, just because you want it. You have to earn it. You don't need a gym to get in shape anyway.

YouTube - 24 Hour Ghetto Workout

•advertising fees (I am an independent contracter),- This can be figured into you taxes info and you may have to pay less because of business costs. I don't know how casual you are with this business so I am just saying that in case you don't know. You should look at everything you spend on your business and talk to a CPA about it.

• grocery bill - I am very sure that you can go cheaper on this one
• electricty - are you being conservative? Are you set up on a flat rate budget plan?
• insurance - have you asked about a cheaper policy?
• gas for car - google maps shows the cheapest gas in your area. Keeping your car in shape and your tires too will make this be less
• water bill - conservative, flat rate budget plan

Also with utilities they usually do not report it as late until its 15 days over due. Call the companies and ask what the policy is. You can pay those a couple weeks late.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,191,440 times
Quote:
I find it very insulting and rude for some posters on here to make comments along the lines of 'deadbeat' and 'Im always on time for my rent, why cant you".

I have read several threads and its always seem the tenant gets the most flack from people. I dont know if its because this section is run by landlords or what.

I always pay my rent, however...There are times I am up to a week late. Why? Because, right after I pay my rent...I spend the following week paying all the bills. For example, my rent is due on the 1st. Then I have 2 cell phone bills (1 personal, the other for business), gym membership (not an option), advertising fees (I am an independent contracter), grocery bill, electricty, insurance, gas for car, and water bill. All these are due before the 10th! I spend the 1st and 2nd weeks of the month paying that. And then, after that, I have only 2 more weeks to pay my rent. So unless I have a really good 2 weeks in sales prior to the 1st, I am frustrated about being on time for rent.

So what ends up happening is, I am on time one month, and late the next. Then on time, then late. This has been going on the past 7 months. I feel like Im trapped as I dont have any money to do anything leisure. And then my car needs a new A/C and Im driving in the middle of July in 100 degree heat sweating my ass off because I spent it all on rent and bills

So, would appreciate a bit of a break. If anyone has some solutions or alternatives to renting alone as a 22 year old, I would be happy to recieve them. But dont come on here calling me a deadbeat, because I work hard and I strive to pay my rent on time, yet these large apartment complexes with lots of tenants want to drive you to the poor house for being a bit late.

And btw...non of my other bills work that way (contrary to what someone stated). My insurance bill allows 2 weeks, my electric can wait up to a month, and my water as well. They dont start tacking on ridiculous late fees because its late. Personally, I really wish rent wasn't due the same day every month. the end of the month tends to be a slow time business wise...and it doesn't even pick up til the 2nd week.
If you need a break move in with Mom and Dad... And your elec and water bill more than likely have a late fee built into them.. I know ours does... Look at them close... Your LL is not your bank...

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 41,044 times
Quote:
If anyone has some solutions or alternatives to renting alone as a 22 year old, I would be happy to recieve them.
You need to find a big girl with money, they are easy to deceive. Remember just close your eyes and it is like you are in a sea of jello.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,890,658 times
:::::sigh::::: who let the troll in?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 AM

73 posts, read 583,919 times
I'm in my 20's, been renting on my own for several years, don't have much income (about $30k), but I've never been late paying rent and have never needed or asked for a "break" from my landlord. It was tough when my salary was in the low 20's, but I made it work.. I stayed in a place I could afford even though the nicer apartments were tempting, I had dial-up internet for 2 years to save money (went to the library if I needed high speed), learned how to shop smart at the grocery store (and how to cook!) and kept a budget to keep an eye on all my spending.

If you don't maintain a budget I recommend you start to, and it may help you set aside money at the beginning of the month to pay rent at the end of the month, if you have less money coming in from your work then.

As a tenant, I know I'm expected to pay rent on time, so I do it. You shouldn't blame your landlord if you can't get your finances together. Being late once in a blue moon is probably acceptable, but you can't expect a landlord to be okay with your lateness every other month. I think you can make improvements on your finances, just really look closely at everything you spend on and make some sacrifices if you need to. If you can barely make rent every month than you either need a cheaper place to live or to cut expenses elsewhere so you can afford the place you have.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM

278 posts, read 1,516,422 times
[quote=Katie1;14976214]Speeking as a tenant....You need to get your Sh*t together!

lol...........lmao.........too funny. Well he asked for it.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM

548 posts, read 1,033,768 times
I am a tenant also and hellloooo no one owes you a thing. This entitlement idea needs to stop. You owe the rent on the 1st so pay it by the 1st. No one is out to get you it is the way the world works and you had best learn that right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting