Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 36,063 times

Advertisements

I had a tenant move in and they paid me first months rent and sec. They asked if they could have 4-wheelers on my property I told them no because i have 3 small kids and i didnt want the yard all tore up and a lot of ruts and such. well the next month rolled around time for rent to be paid. they dont pay it and have a bunch of excuses as to why. well the first month they decided that they were going to use my front yard as a driveway.

well we waited almost half the month trying to be nice and let them come up with the rent. as they did not. We asked them several times to stop driving on the lawn they did not. well we finally told them that by the first its 2 months rent or they move out (no rental agreement just verbal) this was done by the 20th and every since then they are still parking on the lawn but now they have decided that they are going to spin the tires all the way off the lawn and up my driveway they have been doing this for weeks now. so my yard looks like a dirt track. they are moving now and I ccant wait untill they are compleatly gone. but my problem is the lawn. What do I do? This is in NY and I have keep the sec. dep. for the month of rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Be glad that they are gone. i don't think you can do much without a written contract specifying the content.

To me this is a hard lesson learnd and if I were you I would fix the yard and move on....

Next time sign a lease with conditions. It might be harder to get a tenant but both parties have proof of what th agree on.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 AM

204 posts, read 1,505,764 times
Default Thelpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmka5 View Post
I had a tenant move in and they paid me first months rent and sec. They asked if they could have 4-wheelers on my property I told them no because i have 3 small kids and i didnt want the yard all tore up and a lot of ruts and such. well the next month rolled around time for rent to be paid. they dont pay it and have a bunch of excuses as to why. well the first month they decided that they were going to use my front yard as a driveway.

well we waited almost half the month trying to be nice and let them come up with the rent. as they did not. We asked them several times to stop driving on the lawn they did not. well we finally told them that by the first its 2 months rent or they move out (no rental agreement just verbal) this was done by the 20th and every since then they are still parking on the lawn but now they have decided that they are going to spin the tires all the way off the lawn and up my driveway they have been doing this for weeks now. so my yard looks like a dirt track. they are moving now and I ccant wait untill they are compleatly gone. but my problem is the lawn. What do I do? This is in NY and I have keep the sec. dep. for the month of rent.
You apparently need a little help. Here's what keeps me from getting the headaches you experienced: Type the word thelpa into your favorite search engine and learn.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
On the positive side..the tenant left without filing a $300 eviction and another month or more delay.

Small claims is an option, it means locating the tenant for an address, photos of the damage along with estimates for repair and roughly $100 filing fee. If they couldn't pay the rent, its not likely they'll pay a judgment and you'll need to do a wage attachment to recover the money.

Better screening of credit history, rental history, background check and steady employment history will help to eliminate bad tenants in the future.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Tenants such as this are why many LLs require first month, last month and security deposit up front, not just first month and security. Better luck next time. Get together a good rental agreement and spend some time researching your state landlord tenant laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting