U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, I start to get out of the shower and the water will not turn off. So, I call a friend who is a plumber since the repair people for my apartment are so worthless and he says he can come out the next evening. I figure 24 hours, not a big deal.

The next morning one of the apartment maintenance people come and ask if we have a leak. I tell them that my shower wouldn't turn off the night before, they come in and shut it off. Then I get a call from my landlord irrate about me not saying anything to him. I explain I was going to have a plumber look at it, and he says the downstairs bathroom's roof collapsed from water damage.

While trying to figure out how in the world that happened since all the water was going down the drain, and for less than 24 hours he mentions he is not sure how he can allow me to live there. I have bad credit and have been evicted before because my fiance has lost his job. I had no where else to go so, I agreed to make bi-weekly payments of $50.00 until the damage was paid for as long as he provided me with the bill as soon as he got it.

This was months ago, I still have not received a bill. Shortly after the shower incident, a water main in the front was discovered to be broken. The landlord said about a month ago that he would send me the repair bill and my portion of the water bill soon.

How can I be responsible for a water bill when it's included in my rent and a water main busted? Furthermore, the landlord asked I deposit the money into his account directly is now not sure I have made all my payments. Is there anything I can do? Can my deposit count for the repair bill?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,696,414 times
Sounds like you're getting hosed for maintenance issues that are the landlord's responsibility. The one mistake you made was calling a friend to make the repairs instead of notifying the landlord, as now he can say your friend broke the plumbing.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM

549 posts, read 909,825 times
But the OP's friend didn't do anything to the plumbimg. He was going to come out the next day but the maintenance guy showed up first. But yes always notify the LL when something major like that goes wrong. Water can and does do alot of damage in a very short amount of time. And ALWAYS get everything in writting. I think he is trying to scam you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting