Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 AM

512 posts, read 1,429,043 times

Advertisements

i wrote a notice of pay or quit and sent it to them yesterday. i also posted the same note on their door yesterday evening. in there, i told them that they have 5 days to pay or i would take them to court to evict them.

they paid late last night!

Thanks everyone! (Special thanks to backandforth83)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,509,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
i wrote a notice of pay or quit and sent it to them yesterday. i also posted the same note on their door yesterday evening. in there, i told them that they have 5 days to pay or i would take them to court to evict them.

they paid late last night!

Thanks everyone! (Special thanks to backandforth83)
Good job! You got their attention.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM

146 posts, read 709,660 times
Glad to hear it worked out!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,570,943 times
Partial payments are the same as accepting a rental payment, which doesn't allow you to start eviction until the next month.

It is very tempting to take at least a part and I had once that a tenant called me to pick up the rent and when I got there he only had $ 1000 out of the $ 1450.-. I told him that in the contract it is clearly stating "no partial payments will be accepted"...

Tenants know the law and try to outsmart you. If you take a partial payment the tenant know he is safe until the next month!

Give a 3 days notice on the spot (so take a paper just in case), make a picture of leaving it on their door after the tenant closes the door or mail/email it, so you have proof and let the tenant know you will charge late fees.

I will charge late fees right away...I have learned my lesson. You will only be taken for a fool.

If a good tenant has a one time issue with a payment, he will call you and update you and pay as he is stating, all others are trying how dumb you are and how far they can go..

Remember with so many people having to rent due to losing their home after living for fre for years (no mortgage payments, and no HOA payments), many will try to live even longer for free and blame the whole world for them having to rent...except themself's!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,044,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Partial payments are the same as accepting a rental payment, which doesn't allow you to start eviction until the next month.

Tenants know the law and try to outsmart you. If you take a partial payment the tenant know he is safe until the next month!
While this may be correct in a few states, it is not true for most. And in many states, even a partial payment after notice of eviction will not stop such a writ from being executed. Also, even if the LL accepts partial payment, it does not negate the remainder for that month. The tenant owes full rent - period.

Remember that a lease is a contract. If the lease/contract does not address the issue, state law will prevail. in OR, AZ, VA, UT, and others, partial payment is not sufficient to stop an eviction or to prevent it. The tenant is required to pay the full rent each month. What is so difficult about that?

Landlord Tenant Law ~ State by State Rights of Landlords and Tenants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting