Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM

512 posts, read 1,435,387 times

Advertisements

they've lived here for 10 months or so. this month, they put 1050 in the bank instead of the full 1400 and said that they don't have the rest but will get it 'maybe' next week, etc. etc.

Can the landlord give a pay or vacate notice on partial payment?

State: VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
I don't accept partial rent payments because I consider that to be enabling. Partial payment can be treated as non-payment. I put in my leases that partial payments will not be accepted. I would give them notice to pay up immediately or quit. Enforce late fees and if they don't pay up within a couple of days, start eviction and cut your losses. Two times in 10 months is a pattern of non payment. Get rid of them.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I don't accept partial rent payments because I consider that to be enabling. Partial payment can be treated as non-payment. I put in my leases that partial payments will not be accepted. I would give them notice to pay up immediately or quit. Enforce late fees and if they don't pay up within a couple of days, start eviction and cut your losses. Two times in 10 months is a pattern of non payment. Get rid of them.
yes, but i don't know how.
i wanted to know if them paying most of the rent is going to allow me to proceed with eviction procedures or whether a judge will not even hear it because they've made partial payment.

Can someone please help me?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
i wanted to know if them paying most of the rent is going to allow me to proceed with eviction procedures or whether a judge will not even hear it because they've made partial payment.

I'd say if they don't pay IN FULL you can start the eviction process the same way as if they didn't pay at all.

I'm not a landlord but I play one on TV.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
If the lease says pay rent in full every month, the amount agreed, no partial payment. Period.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
If the lease says pay rent in full every month, the amount agreed, no partial payment. Period.
so you think i should proceed with a pay or quit notice and put the amount that they haven't paid as the amount owed?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:

According to the Tenant/Landlord Act of your particular state, give them immediate written notice with delivery confirmation that they are in default and 30 days notice to vacate. Even if they vacate, they still owe the money and you can still take them to court. A partial payment is the same as no payment, rent is either paid in full or not. The judge will see it your way.

Chances are they will pay or leave. From now on, put in your leases that partial rent payments will not be accepted and are considered a default of their lease. Write up an addendum and make them sign it acknowledging that they know that this is unacceptable.

Having said this, if they move out and you are out just a few hundred dollars, keep their deposit, clean the place up and re-rent it. I only go after people who owe a lot of money or have really pissed me off by lying, threatening me or having other gross violations of their lease. I had one police officer who thought he could intimidate me and by the time the Judge got through with him he had to file bankruptcy.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
so you think i should proceed with a pay or quit notice and put the amount that they haven't paid as the amount owed?
I would contact them and convey the information that you have been given here. If they pay up, draw up an addendum stating that partial rent payments will not be accepted and make them sign it. If they won't sign and are paid up, you will have to wait until their lease is up to give them 30 days notice that you are not renewing their lease. Do all this is writing and send it with delivery confirmation.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I'd say if they don't pay IN FULL you can start the eviction process the same way as if they didn't pay at all.

I'm not a landlord but I play one on TV.
Right. Partial payments are the same as no payment, but it makes it more likely that you will get the rest of the money. Partial payments are one of many red flags.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
My tenants were repeatedly late on payments and would not respond phone calls or emails. They would on occasion offer to pay partially.

When something needed fixing, I got calls like "ooohhh, one day waiting to get it fixed?!"

I am the kind of tenant who pays rent religiously and if something needs fixing I always tell the LL "if it is not an emergency, I can wait a few days, no worries." He is a nice man and I don't like to be the obnoxious impolite tenant. He provides me with a service, however he is not my 24/7 employee.

I sent them an email (I really meant it, as I had tried to contact them many times before) saying "last attempt to contact before pay or quit" and a few hours later got a response, miraculously offering to pay.

I don't think you should do anything, as I don't know the terms of your lease. This was just my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting