U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

48 posts, read 160,874 times

Advertisements

The past few weeks I have really been looking around and researching for properties where I wont be tied down to a 12 month lease. Many of the apartment complexes on craigslist offer great deals, but its standard procedure: a 12 month lease. Im at the point where Im relocating to another state and dont want to jump into another lease right away (I never been married, but it would seem like jumping from 1 divorce to another marriage in under a month!) At the moment, Im already considering sub-leasing my apartment and letting someone else take over the rest of the lease.

However, most of the so called 'sub-leases' are shared accomodations with an extra bedroom in someone's house. And I would be FAR from comfortable moving in with a total stranger and be bound to their rules (seems like most ads just want a robot to move in, pay rent and have no life or friends over). Which is just unrealistic for a 22 yr. old college student.

At the moment I haven't firmly chosen an option, but am determined. I want to leave the state as I've been here 2 years now and It'll never grow on me. I love my little apartment, but I know I can find a similar place in where Im moving. Im just unsure whether I should just jump back into another lease or just keep looking for month to months or something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM

146 posts, read 671,551 times
Apartments rented though a property management company don't typically offer leases under 12 months, since the owner pays the company the first two weeks rent (varies) for each new tenant.

Your best bet would be renting directly through an owner. Even if you see an ad stipulating a 12 month lease, it really doesn't hurt to ask for a month-to-month, or perhaps a three or six month lease. If you have good credit and references, and can show that you intend to stay in the area long term but simply don't want to commit to a longer lease, then it might not be that big of an issue.

Offer to move in as soon as the apartment is vacant, since an owner may prefer a shorter lease than no tenant at all.

Another option, if you can afford it, is to offer higher rent.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,677,562 times
I've done a short term lease for tenants who are moving into the area and are not sure where they want to be. (I'm a LL). I have charged a higher rent only because I may or may not have to redo the apartment at the end of 6 months. If you can find a private LL, ask for a 6 month lease with the offer of a higher rent. It depends on the cost of a 12 month lease, but a 10 to 20 % increase may turn the trick and get you the 6 month lease with an explanation you just offered on here.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,352,885 times
There are those hybrid apartment/motel that charge by the week. ValuePlace is an example, but they are not in every state. Rent starts at $149/week depending on the location. Apartments are furnished with kitchens, tv, internet.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,076,999 times
If this landlord finds out you are late on your rent regularly, he probably won't cut you any slack on the lease.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM

71,008 posts, read 66,744,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
The past few weeks I have really been looking around and researching for properties where I wont be tied down to a 12 month lease. Many of the apartment complexes on craigslist offer great deals, but its standard procedure: a 12 month lease. Im at the point where Im relocating to another state and dont want to jump into another lease right away (I never been married, but it would seem like jumping from 1 divorce to another marriage in under a month!) At the moment, Im already considering sub-leasing my apartment and letting someone else take over the rest of the lease.

However, most of the so called 'sub-leases' are shared accomodations with an extra bedroom in someone's house. And I would be FAR from comfortable moving in with a total stranger and be bound to their rules (seems like most ads just want a robot to move in, pay rent and have no life or friends over). Which is just unrealistic for a 22 yr. old college student.

At the moment I haven't firmly chosen an option, but am determined. I want to leave the state as I've been here 2 years now and It'll never grow on me. I love my little apartment, but I know I can find a similar place in where Im moving. Im just unsure whether I should just jump back into another lease or just keep looking for month to months or something
Put your own ad out on craigslist. I did this last year. I was looking for an affordable condo in a different part of my state but I wanted time to look. I also have cats. I didn't want to make a thousand calls asking if I could have a month-to-month lease with pets, so I placed an ad that said I am looking for a two bedroom apt on a month-to-month basis in XYZ County and by the way, I have four cats. This is my rent range.

I got three responses within days. Two were farther than I wanted to commute but the last one was perfect. LL had been living in the apartment (2-family) and would rent to me while he moved upstairs for the winter and renovated that apartment. He had three cats of his own, so he didn't care if I had them. I lived there from November until three weeks ago, when I moved into my own place.

You might want to try it--you never know if someone out there has a place and circumstances that could fit into what you need.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM

8,571 posts, read 16,633,207 times
Dilemma: honesty and tell new LL you never pay your rent on time - and they won't accept you as a tenant - and perhaps have customers find out

Or to not be truthful and be able to "stick it" to another LL or "roommate".

The gym membership and two cellphones are becoming costly - $100 every month for paying rent late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting