Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM

20 posts, read 145,014 times

Advertisements

Our previous private landlord (2 years ago) refused to give us back our security deposit, claiming charges without support. We went to small claims court and mediated with them. The case was dismissed without prejudice. We never went before the judge.

Now we need to move for work reasons and are unsure if this issue will show up in any database. Also, do we need to list them as a previous landlord for references? We are fearing how they will react.

I don't want to lie, but I also don't want a resentful landlord badmouthing us when we always paid on time, took care of the house and were only claiming what was ours.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM

146 posts, read 711,485 times
This just happened to me, and I was lucky to have a new LL who understood that my previous LL was a nutjob. I provided the bad LL as a reference, with the disclaimer that I had sued him (and won), but hadn't had problems with any previous rental.

Some people will hold it against you and there's just nothing you can do, but your best bet is to put your best foot forward and then just be upfront about the situation.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Any landlord input?

Is there a database that shows all court cases, regardless of if it was settled before court?

The new place application ask if you have sued a former landlord. Yes, we did, but it's the first time in more than 10 years of renting and just because they were so out of line. It's no like we are through life suing everybody.

Does having sued that landlord blacklisted us for now on? As a landlord, what do you think?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 AM

146 posts, read 711,485 times
I guess no one else wants to bite, so you're stuck with me.

Many counties put their civil and criminal records online now, either in whole or in part. At minimum, you should be able to enter someone's name and see if they were ever a plaintiff or a defendant, when, and against whom. Where I live, that's actually all you get, so if you want to know the outcome of a case then you need to go to the courthouse and request the file. Thus my unlawful detainer will always show up, but it will not show that I won. A typical background check of a tenant will include evictions and lawsuits, whether or not they were settled out of court.

Also, to my knowledge, there's no law that protects potential tenants from being discriminated against by potential landlords on the basis of the tenant having sued or having been sued by a former landlord.

And that's the system for ya.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I don't think there is a database for it, but I have put all my bad tenants on a website that I came across.

In both cases I won in small claims court which means I had proof to back my case.

I also put one potential tenant on the website since they lied on their application.

They filled out an address that they were evicted from since in the public records there was a record of them being evicted....so far true...but they didn't expect me to open the record and read it and noticing that the address they gave was wrong and when I went to the apartment complex mentioned in the public records, I was told they had a dog which wasn't reported who damaged a lot of stuff and they left without paying rent, left stuff and never cleaned and the entire carpet and more needed to be replaced....so lying on an apllication tells me that I have the right to put their names on the website.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Well, apparently having sued a former landlord, even when we were in the right, is now against us. We were turned down for 2 apartments even as our income, credit score and references are great. It's unbelievable how you are punished by asserting your rights. And of course they didn't give us any reason to turn us down, just that they selected another renter, but knowing that we are great renters, the only reason has to be the small claims case.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 67,002 times
that's unfortunate. i'm going through a similar situation right now. my current LL is terrible and claims that I harass her, when in reality I just want her to pay the utility bills (that she is responsible for), avoid the shutoffs that have happened, and leave me alone. I'm waiting to hear back on a new apt app today and am nervous about what my current LL is going to say about me.

Hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting