Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

There are two rental houses on this property in Los Angeles, CA - I lease one, my adult son the other - When we moved in the both houses shared the same key

My son is moving out August 1, a new tenant will be moving in - I've asked the LL about the keys, she assures me it won't be a problem - *I have a problem with a stranger having keys to my home

Do I have any rights as a tenant?

Our lease states I cannot change the locks

We have installed chains and sliding locks but that only works from inside the house, not when we leave
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 AM

41 posts, read 50,536 times
I would definitely have a problem with some stranger having a key to my house also. If it says you cannot change the locks in your lease then go to your LL and explain how uncomfortable you are with the situation. If the LL is reluctant offer to pay for the locks to get changed. If that still does not work I would suggest moving. I think it is strange that your LL would expect you to be okay with that in the first place!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The LL may have told you it wouldn't be a problem because she is planning on changing the locks on the second house. Call her!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:19 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenxmom View Post
There are two rental houses on this property in Los Angeles, CA - I lease one, my adult son the other - When we moved in the both houses shared the same key

My son is moving out August 1, a new tenant will be moving in - I've asked the LL about the keys, she assures me it won't be a problem - *I have a problem with a stranger having keys to my home

Do I have any rights as a tenant?

Our lease states I cannot change the locks

We have installed chains and sliding locks but that only works from inside the house, not when we leave

It seems that the only person who knows about the keys are you and your son.

Also, I don't know many people who go around putting the same key (their key) in every apartment near by. Have you seen this happen?

Besides your son didn't move out yet. A new tenant didn't move in yet.

I think your over reacting and you need to give the landlord time to change the locks.

You've stated your request to the landlord and should leave it alone until you actually SEE what is done.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
The same key working locks on two different rentals is odd, relatives or not.

Some states have provisons in landlord tenant code for lock changes by the tenant provided the LL is given a key, my state is one of them, but in California an LL has grounds to start an eviction.

Your worries may be needless, contact the LL with your concerns, locks should be changed for turnovers.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Changing the locks imho is a must when people move in/out.

It is a low expense (and even if it wasn't, it is a necessary one) that can avoid a tremendous headache. While inside or outside the house, one should have a right to feel people/belongings are safe.

One of my main requests is to have this done before I or anybody else moves in.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 AM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Changing the locks imho is a must when people move in/out.

It is a low expense (and even if it wasn't, it is a necessary one) that can avoid a tremendous headache. While inside or outside the house, one should have a right to feel people/belongings are safe.

One of my main requests is to have this done before I or anybody else moves in.
As a LL I always change out the lock set prior to renting to a new tenant. I believe many LL's don't like to do this because it's hard on the doors. The screws tend to damage the door core and make it harder to properly/securely install the lock sets in my experience. Also, a good quality lock set can run $70 or more. I do it anyway, because if I were renting I wouldn't want someone walking in when I was away (or worse, when I was home!)

My lease, which is sourced from thelpa (type that into google) allows a tenant the comfort of changing a lockset at their expense and notifying me immediately / delivering me a new set of keys or be fined for not doing so.
A LL needs access to their property with proper notification.

Tenant comfort and safety is paramount. Any caring LL would ensure the locks are changed after tenant move-out.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:34 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The LL may have told you it wouldn't be a problem because she is planning on changing the locks on the second house. Call her!
Exactly! The landlord doesn't need to change the locks on both houses - just the house where there will be a new tenant.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
As a LL I always change out the lock set prior to renting to a new tenant. I believe many LL's don't like to do this because it's hard on the doors. The screws tend to damage the door core and make it harder to properly/securely install the lock sets in my experience. Also, a good quality lock set can run $70 or more. I do it anyway, because if I were renting I wouldn't want someone walking in when I was away (or worse, when I was home!)

My lease, which is sourced from thelpa (type that into google) allows a tenant the comfort of changing a lockset at their expense and notifying me immediately / delivering me a new set of keys or be fined for not doing so.
A LL needs access to their property with proper notification.

Tenant comfort and safety is paramount. Any caring LL would ensure the locks are changed after tenant move-out.
Do you have any experience with locks like these: SmartKey - Rekey locks ?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Thats strange that you cant change locks. Thats one of the first things I do anywhere I live is change the locks. Who is to know, unless they try to get in when youre not there and that is illegal without 24 hr notice. By that point, you can put the old one back on. Ive done it without messing up the screwholes. The only one who needs a key to my place is me, and who ever is living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting