Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM

20,101 posts, read 16,035,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually you can go to court over that. You cannot charge any rate you want. It has to be a reasonable rate. A reasonable rate is a going rate in the area. A court would hammer that charge down.
For example I charge $25 a hour if I have to do something. I rarely do simply because I don't want any tenant to say anything so I get a handyman or tradesman. They charge what they charge I take it out of the deposit.
We do the same, if it's something we are footing the bill for we may or may not do the work ourselves but if it is something we need to charge the renters for we go with a handyman or company. What we charge the tenet is what they charge and will give a copy of the bill to them if the renter wants us to. It helps keep speculations that we are ripping them off at bay. We won't charge for painting if it has been over three years since the last painting unless they've done something that means we have to prime or there is other damage.

We try to be fair with our tenets but some just seem obvious that there is a difference between normal wear and tear and failing to take ordinary care, including regular cleanings, while living there. I swear some people think it's ordinary wear and tear to have grease marks on a wall because their bed didn't have a headboard or gross black slimy stuff in the refrigerator or bathroom.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We do the same, if it's something we are footing the bill for we may or may not do the work ourselves but if it is something we need to charge the renters for we go with a handyman or company. What we charge the tenet is what they charge and will give a copy of the bill to them if the renter wants us to. It helps keep speculations that we are ripping them off at bay. We won't charge for painting if it has been over three years since the last painting unless they've done something that means we have to prime or there is other damage.

We try to be fair with our tenets but some just seem obvious that there is a difference between normal wear and tear and failing to take ordinary care, including regular cleanings, while living there. I swear some people think it's ordinary wear and tear to have grease marks on a wall because their bed didn't have a headboard or gross black slimy stuff in the refrigerator or bathroom.
Exactly. I overlook some scuff marks, fingerprints, nail holes. But real damage like broken drywall, excessive filthy walls, kid went nuts with crayon or markers yeah that's all chargeable. And I just call a handyman or painter. I want the place up and running within 2-4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 920 times
We recently moved out of a house after about a year due to circumstances that part of the floor had to be replaced. I scrubbed, cleaned and made sure the house was in excellent condition. My landlord came to inspect after I got it cleaned and stated a few things that needed to be touched up. Which I did while she was still there. She refunded $400, kept $147 for the extra 7 days we stayed, and she said she was keeping $78 for paint. I was fine with that even though in my mind I was disagreeing about the paint. I just wanted to be done with it. Our lease stated she could not deduct owed rent from deposit but she did by her suggestion. I was more than willing to write a check. All was well when we left. 2 days later she decided she wanted to hold $225 of The deposit she already returned and we pay her the $147 owed for rent. Now a week later she said we owed her for some chip marks in a bathtub and painter expenses due to fading of the walls. By this point I'm feeling very aggravated! Can she do this?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 AM

75 posts, read 59,852 times
What does you lease say? Look through it.
If you agreement states nothing concerning this issue, then here is what I know. If tenant has lived in a unit for several years, painting should be done at the landlord’s expense, not the tenant’s. Of course, unless property owner have to repaint walls through your fault.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 804 times
This may be long but I need help. I moved into a house the same day owners were moving out the house was not painted or cleaned before we moved in you can see the old color if paint through the color that was put on and parts of were there was stuff hung up and never painted well I have 5 kids from 6 years down to 1 year my kids colored on the doors and walls before we moved out we painted were they had colored but before we could finish i was admitted to ICU do to abscess in my stomach and in so much pain we were to be out the next day doctor wrote a letter asking for landlord to give us 24 hrs they said now so I had to leave the hospital that day we did what we could I payed for cleaners to come out and clean so know the landlord said they had to repaint because the marks came through the wall witch is not true because I scrubbed down to the old paint now they are refusing to give back my deposit I have a walk through list that is from the last landlord that has so much written on it but they are trying to charge us for everything can they do that or should i take the next step and file my law suit

Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 PM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidic21 View Post
........well I have 5 kids from 6 years down to 1 year my kids colored on the doors and walls before we moved out ...........
Five kids coloring on the doors and walls is going to be the tenant's expense to repair that damage. Coloring on the doors and walls is not wear and tear.

If you have really good clear move-in photos with a provable date that they were really move-in photos, you might be able to go to small claims court and get the painting costs reduced so that you only have to pay part of it, but no judge is going to declare that coloring on the walls and doors is wear and tear and you are going to have to pay for all the scrubbing, a sealing coat, part of the paint cost and part of the labor.

Surely you were given a minimum of 30 days notice that you had to move out. That gave you 30 days to arrange to have professional cleaners to repair the walls. Really, you can't expect to wait until the day after you are supposed to move out to have it occur to you that the walls should be cleaned. That's too late to get cleaners in and no, you don't get to have an extension because you couldn't get the house cleaned up during a 30 day time period.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
I have lived in my rented house for 8 years and it need to be repainted how long do I have to wait for it to be painted again I was told that I couldn't do it by my landlord.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolinaonmymind View Post
The walls were not damaged in any way, but she claims they are dirty. Well, I have 3 kids, so there are some spots. .........
People with three kids who have "some spots" on the walls have the option of washing those walls before they move out. Magic eraser will take care of most spots on the walls, unless they are indelible marker.

Good housekeepers wash spots off the walls at the time that the spots happen. They don't leave them for two years for the landlord to wash off.

However, you could send a letter to the landlord protesting the paint charge and giving your reasons. If the landlord doesn't agree, you can go to small claims court. You will have to show proof of what the walls looked like when you moved in and what they looked like when you moved out. I suspect that your landlord has photos that show the damage he is charging for.

"I got kids!" seems to be a favorite excuse. Yes, kids are a lot of work, but as a parent, it is your responsibility to clean up after your own kids and not leave it for someone else to do the cleaning. Or at least, if you leave it for someone else to do the cleaning, you should understand that you must pay for it.

But, go to court, show your proof, and the judge will sort it out.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agravated Renter View Post
We recently moved out of a house after about a year due to circumstances that part of the floor had to be replaced. I scrubbed, cleaned and made sure the house was in excellent condition. My landlord came to inspect after I got it cleaned and stated a few things that needed to be touched up. Which I did while she was still there. She refunded $400, kept $147 for the extra 7 days we stayed, and she said she was keeping $78 for paint. I was fine with that even though in my mind I was disagreeing about the paint. I just wanted to be done with it. Our lease stated she could not deduct owed rent from deposit but she did by her suggestion. I was more than willing to write a check. All was well when we left. 2 days later she decided she wanted to hold $225 of The deposit she already returned and we pay her the $147 owed for rent. Now a week later she said we owed her for some chip marks in a bathtub and painter expenses due to fading of the walls. By this point I'm feeling very aggravated! Can she do this?

She can legally charge for damage that wasn't found at the time you guys met the last day. But she already paid you off so truthfully she's either going to Rajesh you to court or just walk.
I tend to do all my research on what the damage is I charge I return what I dudnt use and I'm fine. If I find something afterwards that's just my bad luck and I eat those costs. That's why I take my time when I do my walk through at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaMcleod View Post
I have lived in my rented house for 8 years and it need to be repainted how long do I have to wait for it to be painted again I was told that I couldn't do it by my landlord.
Truthfully you can wait till pigs fly. There is no requirement to paint a property. A smart LL would paint because that's just a good thing to do, but most dint paint until the tenant moves out as it is cheaper to do it with a empty house vs a house with all the tenants stuff.
I paint at turnover. I have had long term tenants where I painted but it's a lot more expensive.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:19 PM

586 posts, read 549,622 times
Did you take move-out pics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting