Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times

Advertisements

I am a first time landlord. My renter broke the lease and moved out the first of July. The lease was through 12/2010. She left her husband behind who is not on the lease. The rent is now 2 months past due. He said he would move out by now but has not. We asked him to put the for rent sign back up, he has not. I guess he plans on staying for free. There are no children in the house. Since he was not on the lease do I have to go through the whole eviction process?

Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Why did you let any one live there who's not on the lease. Lesson learnd for next time. Any one over 18 should be on the lease for the reason you are experiencing right now.

The person now living there is legally not allowed to live there...and for sure not for free, but IMO you have to give the person a 3 days notice and start the eviction process. Perhaps the notice will make the person move.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Simply, the answer is YES. You have to follow legal procedures. If you don't know what they are, look it up in your state's landlord-tenant laws. Google is your friend: (your state) landlord-tenant laws.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
squatter type .. call the cops and start the eviction now .. but for sure get the guy out as he is squatting

Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You expect a freeloading squatter to put up the "for rent" sign for you? You need to get some lessons in how to manage rental property. As said before, no adult should be living in a unit unless he or she is on the lease. Get with a friend or business person who knows rental business and get some help with lessons on how to do things. Reading the state and county rules and laws is one thing, but day to day proceedures are important to manage a property correctly.
Put the sign up yourself, start the eviction process and hound the guy daily to see if he moved.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I would call the police and track that women down. How do you know she left? The guy is a squatter so who knows what else he has been up to. You do not know the guy so I would not confront him or try to be nice about it. She may of ran off because he is a nutter or maybe he did something to her. Be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting